Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

NY Tri-State Rennlist Track Day For Charity @ Poconos Raceway - Sunday, Oct. 11th

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NY Tri-State Rennlist Track Day For Charity @ Poconos Raceway - Sunday, Oct. 11th

Hi All,

Hope everyone is having a great summer. We have already started planning our Fall Event and this one proves to be the most ambitious one yet! We are planning on having our very own DE @ Poconos (East Course) for charity. The benefitting charities would be Anns Place and the “Survive the Drive” Program. Survive the Drive is a program put on by one of the Skip Barber Instructors, that teaches high school students about the dangers of the road and to drive responsibly.

Drivers Ed (DE)
We will be running on the East Course @ Pocono Raceway. It would be the same as your usual DE with other clubs (paid flaggers, instructors if needed, tech inspection, run groups, classroom instruction). If you have never tracked before, this is a great time to experience what the car was intended to do! Instructors will be available to show you the correct lines and help you familiarize yourself on the track. DEs are a great time to learn what can't be done on the street in a safe controlled environment. The track has been rented by the Formula Race Car Club of America - FRCCA (http://www.frcca.com/) that Neil used to race with and they are giving each run group (4) 20 min. sessions. Helmets would be required, fire extinguishers optional. All convertibles will require an approved rollbar.

Track Layout:

Track Cost & Donation
The event is set for Sunday, Oct. 11th. The cost of the track day (4x 20 min. sessions) will be $100 per driver. We are also asking for a $100 donation that will go to the benefitting charities. That is a cost of a normal track day with other clubs, but half of the money will be going towards charity. You will be driving (fast) for a very worthwhile cause!

Charity Organization
"Ann's Place" (http://www.annsplace.org/index.html) is The Home of I CAN provides comfort and support to people living with cancer and to their loved ones. They inspire people to create solutions which will strengthen and sustain them.

FAQs
1) Who handles the insurance for the track, what is covered, etc?
FRCCA has a 5MM liability policy that names Pocono as an additional insured. Waivers are signed when you enter the track. We will also provide an additional waiver that protects the organizers (ourselves) from any responsibility.
2) How do you decide on run groups? -
Logistics we need to work out, but I have a feeling it will depend on DE experience and the # of participants. Will post once we figure it out.
3) What kind of tech inspection is required and what dealerships/shops can you bring your car in for inspection?
We will circulate a form, similar to what PCA uses and have people use their shop for tech prior to the event. Then the morning of the event, the tech will involve: check torque on wheels, empty car, assure battery is properly fastened down, adequate brake fluid, no fluid leaks, proper attire and helmet, no excessive play in wheels.
4. Are you going with PCA DE levels (green, yellow, blue, white, black and red)?
We are definitely separating into diff. groups, but we are not sure how many groups there will be yet. It will probably depend on the # of participants.
5. As with DE's are we to assume there will be passing only in designated passing zones and only after getting a pass signal from the driver being overtaken?
Yes...all usual DE rules will apply.
6. Will there be instructors? I would hate to be out there with someone who has never DEed. I would reccomend that anyone who has never DE'ed have an Instructor in the car or at least a Black level driver.
I agree and keeping everyone safe is our utmost priority. We will definitely have a group for the "advanced" folks or at least ones that I have DE'd in the past and not their very first time. There will also be instructors available.
7. Are dedicated race cars allowed? Yes.
8. Are convertibles allowed? All convertibles must have an approved roll bar.

Registration
I have attached the required registration forms below. Please note that while the form requires a $200 Entry Fee, we receive a special track rate since 50% of the proceeds will go to charity.

If you would like to attend, please complete all on the checklist:
  1. Please complete the forms (attached below) and write out two (2) checks:
    a) $100 made out to "FRCCA" (Formula Race Car Club of America)
    b) $100 made out to "Ann's Place".
  2. Please mail the completed form and (2) checks to Neil no later than Sept. 7th:
    Neil Platt
    109 Cobb Road
    Brewster, NY 10509
  3. Completed Pre-Tech inspection form that is to be completed by an approved Tech Inspection site BEFORE the track day. It will be checked and collected at the track.
  4. PM me or reply on this thread which describes your track experience best to we can determine your Run Group:
    1) I have run without an instructor at a PCA or other Club’s event and feel confident to run without an instructor.
    2) I have track experience and feel ready to run without an instructor.
    3) I have track experience but still require an instructor. May run w/o one later.
    4) I have no track experience.
Accommodations
Best Western - 5 min. from track
(570) 646 6000

Schedule of Events
6:30-7:30am - Register at Desk
7:30-8:00am - Tech Inspection
8:00-8:30am - Chalk Talk by Bob Green

Attendees
  1. Bob - 997 TT - RG-3
  2. Arrwin - 993 C4S - RG-3
  3. Garth - Audi S5 - RG-4
  4. TAI2 - 993 Cab - RG-1
  5. PV Shady - 993 C2S
  6. Rik - 996C4S/964
  7. Tom DePascale - 996 cabrio - RG-3
  8. Yugo - 997 GT3 - RG-3
  9. Wil - 997 C4S - RG-3
  10. T. Chong - 996 C4S - RG-3
Attached Files
File Type: doc
FRCCA GT entry form.doc (38.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: doc
FRCCA 2009 PRE-tech-form.doc (49.5 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Arrwin; 09-25-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in. Thanks Arrwin.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
I'm in. Thanks Arrwin.
Sweet. How'd I know you'd be one of the first to reply.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Arrwin, that sounds fun! Couple of questions:

2) How do you decide on run groups?

3) What kind of tech inspection is required and what dealerships/shops can you bring your car in for inspection?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Hi Ilko...good questions.

My comments....

1) Who handles the insurance for the track, what is covered, etc? - FRCCA has a 5MM liability policy that names Pocono as an additional insured. Waivers are signed when you enter the track. We will also provide an additional waiver that protects the organizers (ourselves) from any responsibility.

2) How do you decide on run groups? - Logistics we need to work out, but I have a feeling it will depend on DE experience and the # of participants. Will post once we figure it out.

3) What kind of tech inspection is required and what dealerships/shops can you bring your car in for inspection? We will circulate a form, similar to what PCA uses and have people use their shop for tech prior to the event. Then the morning of the event, the tech will involve: check torque on wheels, empty car, assure battery is properly fastened down, adequate brake fluid, no fluid leaks, proper attire and helmet, no excessive play in wheels.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by Arrwin; 08-13-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In
Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In India, sorry.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Hi Ilko...good questions.

My comments....

1) Who handles the insurance for the track, what is covered, etc? - Not sure...will have to find out.

2) How do you decide on run groups? - Logistics we need to work out, but I have a feeling it will depend on DE experience and the # of participants. Will post once we figure it out.

3) What kind of tech inspection is required and what dealerships/shops can you bring your car in for inspection? Logistics we need to work out. Will post once we figure it out.

Hope this helps a bit.
I have the same questions, this would be my first DE seeing that I don't even have my 993 yet but it is coming soon.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm in
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Arrwin,
I'll check with Rick and see if he and some of his customers want to join too. This should be a great event and we don't have to worry about exceeding the speed limit.....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Arrwin, that sounds fun! Couple of questions:

2) How do you decide on run groups?

Thanks!
Ilko...just updated some answers to your questions above. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Air-21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checking my schedule, I'd love to do it. I can let you know by Monday.

*Edited for question*

We this be limited to Porsche's or can I have some Audi friends attend?

Last edited by Air-21; 08-13-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: New question
Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Air-21
Checking my schedule, I'd love to do it. I can let you know by Monday.

*Edited for question*

We this be limited to Porsche's or can I have some Audi friends attend?
Hope you can make it. Nope...not limited to P-cars. All marquees welcome! We already have an S5 coming.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Default Date Has Been Set: Sunday, Oct. 11th

Guys...

Please note that the date has been set for Sunday, Oct. 11th.

**Remember that this event will only happen if we get 30 ppl committed within 2 weeks! Feel free to ask your friends!

Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

I'm assuming no convertibles without rollbars? I'd love to come but there is no way i'm taking that piggy SL55 again.

Quick Reply: NY Tri-State Rennlist Track Day For Charity @ Poconos Raceway - Sunday, Oct. 11th