Sponsored by:

(stupid?) RoW M030 thought/question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default (stupid?) RoW M030 thought/question

So, I had an RoW M030 suspension put in my 993 cab with Bilsteins. Here's the question: If the Bilsteins are adjustable, why RoW M030 springs? Why not USA M030 springs? My undestanding was that the only difference between RoW and USA springs is the ride height, but with adjustable ride height on the Billys, why bother with RoW?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The ROW springs are shorter, so the lowest adjustment with them is lower than the lowest with the USA springs.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What he said
Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
The ROW springs are shorter, so the lowest adjustment with them is lower than the lowest with the USA springs.
And is that amount lower something that is used in street driving or does that lower the car too much? Put another way, is there enough adjustment in the Billys that you can get USA M030 springs to RoW (or even lower) ride heights?

I mean the difference in the USA and RoW height is important with non-adjustable shocks, but my question, I guess, is whether importance of that difference evaporates when you have shocks with adjustable hieghts like the Billys. (Not that any of this matters to me, as I have the RoW springs in my car.....)
Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

By the extra loading on the stock USA springs to compress them to the length of the ROWs I think you would be changing the designed spring weight.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deadeye
By the extra loading on the stock USA springs to compress them to the length of the ROWs I think you would be changing the designed spring weight.
+1
Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's not talking about compressing them unnaturally, but, no, the Bilsteins likely won't go as low as you want with US springs. As far as that goes, the stock shocks are adjustable.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bart1
As far as that goes, the stock shocks are adjustable.
Are you saying that the stock Monroes are adjustable or did I not understand correctly?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bart1
He's not talking about compressing them unnaturally, but, no, the Bilsteins likely won't go as low as you want with US springs. As far as that goes, the stock shocks are adjustable.
Thanks. Just wondering if the RoW springs were really necessary given the adjustability of the Billys.

But, I'm with skwatchr; I am under the impression that the monroes are not adjustable.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I do not believe the US stock springs/shocks allow for adjusting the ride height. The shocks do not have a threaded end to allow any adjustment. To lower the car one must use different springs/shocks that are designed for adjustment.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Thanks. Just wondering if the RoW springs were really necessary given the adjustability of the Billys.

But, I'm with skwatchr; I am under the impression that the monroes are not adjustable.
FS: My rare factory adjustable shocks! (pic taken from p-car.com)

Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are nominally adjustable for corner weighting purposes only, and only in the front; there are shims to adjust the rear weights.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Smile Troy beat me to it...

The fronts do have threads and can be minimally adjusted. There are three different sizes of shims available for the rear.

The other point...shocks and springs are thought of as a system. Generally you want to match up the shocks with the springs, which you have so cleverly done.

So out with that Buyers Remorse; you did the right thing. Congratulate yourself!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the U.S. M030 + Bilstein HD combination. A few key points:

1) Lowest it can go is ~ROW standard height, a couple of cm lower than stock.
2) The spring is fully retained, and can not come off the seat at full droop as with lowering springs.
3) At the lowest height, the lower perch is near the bottom of the threads, so you have the same sway bar interference issues as the ROW spring guys have when they try to go to RS or lower height.
4) Rides well (as well as Bilstein ever do ), handles well, really no problems at all and the only performance solution available if you want good handling while maintaining ground clearance.

Quick Reply: (stupid?) RoW M030 thought/question