Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the rotors on my 96 993 C4S - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the rotors on my 96 993 C4S - any tips?

Hi there,

I ordered a set of front rotors from Sunset Porsche that arrived yesterday. I also have a set of Pagid Oranges that I will be putting on when changing the rotors. This is my first "big" project and I certainly will be looking at p-car and other sites for information/instruction.

Curious if anyone has their own suggestions/tips/experiences.

Thanks
Nick Shanny
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
helmet155
Pro

Porsche recommends replacing the caliper bolts after they have been removed.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by nshanny
Hi there,

I ordered a set of front rotors from Sunset Porsche that arrived yesterday. I also have a set of Pagid Oranges that I will be putting on when changing the rotors. This is my first "big" project and I certainly will be looking at p-car and other sites for information/instruction.

Curious if anyone has their own suggestions/tips/experiences.

Thanks
Nick Shanny
paint the rotor "hats" prior to installation.
they'll look better than slowly rusting iron.
be careful taking your break-wear sensors off, if you break one, you'll have to buy another or get warning lights.
may as well do a break fluid flush while you're in there.

cheers

Craig
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
paint the rotor "hats" prior to installation.
they'll look better than slowly rusting iron.
be careful taking your break-wear sensors off, if you break one, you'll have to buy another or get warning lights.
may as well do a break fluid flush while you're in there.

cheers

Craig
I thought you only had to paint the zimmerman brand rotor hats as the genuine porsche one's came painted...I THINK this is how you tell if you have a genuine porsche rotor or OEM zimmerman.

If you don't want to worry about the brake pad sensors you can just clip them at the base of the brake pad and solder the two wires together completing the circuit so no light will come on. Obviously, you will now have to rely on your own inspection of brake wear.

Brake flush for sure...I'll be doing one of those tomorrow on a C4S

Other tips...
- use some penetrating oil on the screws that hold the rotors on as they can get rusty if your car has been exposed to the elements...might be a good idea to have an impact wrench (manual mallet actuated one is fine) just to be safe. You should replace these with new screws ideally with the new rotors.
- since you will be flushing the system...crack the bleeder nipples after attaching a plastic hose to release pressure making it easier to push old pads back to clear the rotor.

Good luck
Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy yourself an impact screw driver from Sears. The screws sometimes can get rusted on the rotor and a standard screw driver will likely strip them.

Depending if you want to transfer the dome shaped anti squeal shim over or not, you may need to have some disc brake quiet glue to glue the shims onto the new pads.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I thought you only had to paint the zimmerman brand rotor hats as the genuine porsche one's came painted...I THINK this is how you tell if you have a genuine porsche rotor or OEM zimmerman.

If you don't want to worry about the brake pad sensors you can just clip them at the base of the brake pad and solder the two wires together completing the circuit so no light will come on. Obviously, you will now have to rely on your own inspection of brake wear.

Other tips...
- use some penetrating oil on the screws that hold the rotors on as they can get rusty if your car has been exposed to the elements...might be a good idea to have an impact wrench (manual mallet actuated one is fine) just to be safe. You should replace these with new screws ideally with the new rotors.
- since you will be flushing the system...crack the bleeder nipples after attaching a plastic hose to release pressure making it easier to push old pads back to clear the rotor.

Good luck

Adam (and all),

I ran into an interesting factor when ordering rotors for someone recently. Apparently they have been doing this for a year of so.

Zimmerman has heard our cries regarding corrosion. Check out the link below.
And at considerably less $$ I think it is worth reconsidering these. I know I will be on my cars.

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/index.php5?Itemid=136
Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I replaced my rotors, I ordered all the plastic clips and holders for the sensors from Sunset. You are bound to break one or two the first time they come off. Real cheap too.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
bart1
Race Car

Before anyone thinks Zimmerman are a lot cheaper, check OEM prices from Sunset (made by Zimmerman, btw).

That Philips head screw that holds them on - put anti-seize on it when you reinstall.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick,
If you are tracking the car, maybe those Pagid Oranges are necessary, but if you like nice & quiet, no-squeal.....the consensus seems to be that the OEM pads & anti-squeal spiders (on the back of the pads) are THE way to go. Robin mentioned transferring the spiders over, but I just got new ones...don't remember how much, but it wasn't that expensive (Maybe it was that after the 4 new rotors for the C4S, the rest of the stuff seemed cheap...). And I put on new bolts as suggested...for the couple of dollars, worth the piece of mind. I did reuse the sensors.

I went with OEM everything and have had NO squeal issues since.

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Yes we will!
<----That one!
<----Is that a hint that I need to remember to bring beer???
Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 AM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
Nick,

Yes we will!
<----That one!
<----Is that a hint that I need to remember to bring beer???
You bring the beer...I'll supply you with some of the best baby back ribs you've had in a while...smoked them last weekend for 6 hours with my homeade rub and they are as a good rib should be...fall off the bone tender

Okay, enough de-railing this thread...back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Before anyone thinks Zimmerman are a lot cheaper, check OEM prices from Sunset (made by Zimmerman, btw).

That Philips head screw that holds them on - put anti-seize on it when you reinstall.
Also, they're not only rusting (or used to?), they wear out faster than OEM's, especially if you're tracking.
My advice: buy OEM.

+1 on Robin's impact screw driver, I have the kind that you hit with a hammer.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:22 AM
bart1
Race Car

Tecnically, Zimmerman are Original Equipment Manufacture. The Poesche branded ones are a little different.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

I had been told that there are two types of Zimmermans, the OEM and the aftermarket version that are cheaper (in the same size). The ones I recently bought from my local dealer came in a red lettered Porsche box, but were the OEM Zimmerman's.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
I had been told that there are two types of Zimmermans, the OEM and the aftermarket version that are cheaper (in the same size). The ones I recently bought from my local dealer came in a red lettered Porsche box, but were the OEM Zimmerman's.
I heard that oem rotor holes were cast, aftermarket Zimmerman's were drilled...or do I have that bakcwards?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:26 PM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will be ordering the extra parts just to be safe. No reason to screw around with brakes.

Thanks again
Nick

Quick Reply: Replacing the rotors on my 96 993 C4S - any tips?