Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wong Chip anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wong Chip anyone?

There was recent talk in the 964 forum about a G/B for a Steve Wong Chip, see this thread for more info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...wong-chip.html

If anyone is seriously interested in a Chip from Steve please let me know, depending on the level of interest a G/B may happen soon. (No affiliation)

Here's the website for more info:
http://www.911chips.com/Perfchip.html

'95 US
&
'95-'98 Euro 993's only.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
bart1
Race Car

This is a box of worms, but is there a good comparison of 95 993 chips anywhere? Would I be better off getting an hour of dyno time at a good shop?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, I'd call Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems in Portland http://www.rennsportsystems.com/ . I think you'll find most on this board will highly recommend Steve's chip and services (myself included)!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by bart1
This is a box of worms, but is there a good comparison of 95 993 chips anywhere? Would I be better off getting an hour of dyno time at a good shop?
I only know of the two offerings, one each from a pair of Steve W's.

Not sure if you can go wrong either way. The postings by Steve Wong here recently, and also going back for years both here and on Pelican are what really sold me on trying his product.

I do look forward to visiting Steve Weiner when it's time for a gearbox upgrade and/or a top-end and/or suspension tweaks. Hopefully not all at once though!

Anyway, that's just my $.0000000002. I've only been here for a few months and I hope I'm not telling any tales out of school. If I'm stepping on any toes with this thread I'll gladly close it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

He makes a good chip, & it's cheap for the 95's.

Steve sells a great chip as well, GIAC is well known, & does a lot of work to get products to market. Steve Wong only makes chips for the US 95 cars. If you got a 97-98 you go the GIAC route.

Did you get your car back, & all beautiful? Haven't seen any post on it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You get what you pay for. Another nod for the Rennsport ECU. I couldn't imagine my car without it now.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:01 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Did you get your car back, & all beautiful? Haven't seen any post on it.
Yep, the finish is really good, maybe perfect. You'll have to take a look and tell me what you think. I have a lingering issue with the windshield seal now, but that's on the back-burner.

Do you have a chip in either car? I can't remember if you do... I decided to go with the Stage 1 Custom from Steve Wong. http://www.911chips.com/custom.htm

Should be here early next week. I would love to head down there and have you help me deal with it, then you could give your impressions as to the difference in driveability and all, if you want.

I had a set of RSR's mounted earlier today, haven't heard them yet.....
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve Weiner is the BEST. I will say though that I tried the GIAC for my '95 and I experienced warm start issues and one cut off during the post-install shakedown. We even replaced the camshaft position sensor and verified the DME relay was fine. I went back to stock and returned the chip to Steve. I would recommend Steve for ANY 993 issues, advice, parts, etc. but I couldn't knowingly run something that MIGHT leave me stranded. I didn't get to drive the car with the chip in long enough to really assess the difference. I'm reticent to try a Steve Wong chip for the same reasons (cannot risk being stranded).
Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
You get what you pay for. Another nod for the Rennsport ECU. I couldn't imagine my car without it now.
I know of no basis to say one is better than the other. If you have any grounds for your criticism of the Wong chip, we're all ears.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I know of no basis to say one is better than the other. If you have any grounds for your criticism of the Wong chip, we're all ears.
Eric,

To be objective and fair, Steve doesn't do the OBD-2 cars at this time so Jordan (Flat-6 Performance) spoke with me about doing his ECU for him.

Steve Wong's chips are really very well done and reflect a lot of development into the product. Good stuff!!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Seve Wong can also burn a custom chip for you if you provide the fuel/air ratios that you are currently seeing.

These can be taken on a dyno or from runs using something like LM1 wideband O sensor w/ rpm and recording package.

I've got a couple of his custom chips, they work great and his service has been outstanding!!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is likely more than one chip out there that will work with our cars.
I have been running Steve W's chip since June, 2003 and have been happy with it.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I may have a Steve Wong and Steve Weiner chip for a 95 for sale coming up soon. It is configured for lightweight flywheel, no immobilizer, and 91 octane (Weiner is for 93 octane). PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Yep, the finish is really good, maybe perfect. You'll have to take a look and tell me what you think. I have a lingering issue with the windshield seal now, but that's on the back-burner.

Do you have a chip in either car? I can't remember if you do... I decided to go with the Stage 1 Custom from Steve Wong. http://www.911chips.com/custom.htm

Should be here early next week. I would love to head down there and have you help me deal with it, then you could give your impressions as to the difference in driveability and all, if you want.

I had a set of RSR's mounted earlier today, haven't heard them yet.....
Great to hear!! Yea, can't wait to see it.

I had a some chip for a while, it wasn't a GIAC or Wong, but another one, it wasn't made for my ECU, since I got the immobilizer. So every time I drove the car, the immobilizer light would blink. I sold it to another 95'er with out the immobilizer. Putting in the chip the firs time is a PITA, you got to take the seat out & remove a FEW rivets.

Can't wait to hear the RSR's! I really want to know what they sound like & compair them to the Fister STG II's, & my Motorsounds.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Steve Wong's chip is outstanding. Could not be happier with the product on my 95. Plus the price is very attractive, His website documents all power gains on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Wong Chip anyone?