Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive

Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
To answer your 1st question, Yes, you can let the car sit overnight, that's what I was doing the first 3 or 4 times I had to set the RI's. It was only later that I started making the second run 3 or 4 hrs after the first.

On my roads, 1/8 tank of gas would be plenty to make the 2nd run, however it sounds like you have a harder time finding those roads. This is my suggestion for you, I would do as much of the 2nd run as you can on your way to get gas. When you get to the station DON"T shut the car off, let it idle. Put whatever gas you need and then continue with the remainder of the 2nd. run. If you can't do that, just get your gas, take the car home, wait a few hrs. and then do the second run. Just don't take the car over 3k RPM on the gas run.

Best of luck.
Thanks Bill. One last question: Can I drive it in between today's run and the next run? Or do I have to go through the driving sequence the next time I start the car? In other words, will I have to do the whole thing over again if I drive it to work tomorrow?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Thanks Bill. One last question: Can I drive it in between today's run and the next run? Or do I have to go through the driving sequence the next time I start the car? In other words, will I have to do the whole thing over again if I drive it to work tomorrow?
To rephrase your question, can you make the first run, then drive the car as you would normally do and then make the second run. I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe Loren can answer it. If you have to drive it between runs I would try your best to keep it under 3K RPM and 60 MPH. Otherwise I would look to schedule a time when you can make both runs consecutively but they don't have to be on the same day. As in do 1 run in the evening followed by the 2nd run the next morning.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

So I took it out again this morning at about 6:30am to do the second run. It was a success!!! Only took me about 45 minutes this time. Thanks for all the help Bill.

Here's what I learned...

First of all, if you mess up on part of it, you don't have to go back to the beginning. For instance, trying to find a place you can go 20-30 MPH in LA is tough. I got about 2:50 in a few times until I finally was able to go the whole 3:15. The same went for the 40-60 MPH section (on the first run at least). I attempted a few times before I was able to get through the whole 15 minutes.

Second of all, if you're in LA I've found a good place to get this done. Check the map below. For the 20-30 MPH section, I used Vista Del Mar (the beach road west of LAX) going north from Imperial to Culver (indicated in red). There isn't much traffic and people don't really care if you're only going 25. Stay to the right and you're golden. If you continue onto Culver (indicated in blue) you can hop on the 90 fwy east to do the 40-60 MPH section (indicated in green). Take the 90 to the 405 south. By the time I got to Western I was done with the 15 minutes of 40-60 MPH. Mind you, this was about 7:00am on Saturday morning, but I did the same thing on Thursday afternoon and was done with the 15 minute stretch by the Long Beach Airport. Hopefully this will help some of you Angelenos who are trying to set the codes!

Name:  map.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  156.2 KB
Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

So I took it out again this morning at about 6:30am to do the second run. It was a success!!! Only took me about 45 minutes this time. Thanks for all the help Bill.
First of all, outstanding. CONGRATS on your success!

Here's what I learned...

First of all, if you mess up on part of it, you don't have to go back to the beginning. For instance, trying to find a place you can go 20-30 MPH in LA is tough. I got about 2:50 in a few times until I finally was able to go the whole 3:15. The same went for the 40-60 MPH section (on the first run at least). I attempted a few times before I was able to get through the whole 15 minutes.
Yes, I posted this in post #28...
To be clear I was rarely able to complete any individual step of the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” without a break for a stop sign or to go around a corner, I would just return to the speed and RPM I was moving in as soon as possible. I did however extend the drive on that step of the procedure for as long as that section of road allowed (without getting ridiculous). However it is critical that you not exceed 3K RPM or 60 MPH for the duration of the test. I did however, on 2 occasions exceed the 3K/60 MPH limit but not by much and it was for a very brief period of time so I don’t think that is a “hard and fast” rule, just try your best to avoid it.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a misfire code sometime before I went to the Monterey Historics...in 2009! Reset the light with my cheapie Harbor Freight code reader. Tried to smog my car last week and found out the hard way that re-setting the light doesn't mean that you're done.

After much research here, I found the "BMW customer driving cycle" on pcarworkshop (thanks, Mike!) I found this much easier to understand and complete than the "official" Porsche version. I had about 5 flags to clear. I did 2 drive cycles while waiting about 5 hours in between. My only screw up may have been after about 11 minutes on the "high speed" portion when I dipped below 40 MPH on the interchange from the 710N to the 91E. I guess it didn't matter.

I had a free re-test coming, but I was paranoid about failing that one too, because I still had no way of knowing if my readiness flags were indeed all clear. More time spent researcing, much to my wife's chagrin. I decided on the Innova Equus 3100 from Amazon for $86 delivered (thanks Bill W.!) For the price, it seemed like it did the best job of dealing with readiness flags through its use of individual icons for each flag as well as the LED status summary. I also liked the fact that it spelled out the basic error codes in English, so you don't need to look them up in a code book--nice if the book ever gets separated from the scanner!

Turned off the Immobilizer, turned the key, plugged it in and immediately got a green "go" LED. It also showed all of the applicable flag icons. We only use 8 out of the possible 12 or so. None of the icons were flashing, so they were all clear and I was ready to re-test. So easy, it was almost a let down (am I a masochist, or what?) Passed smog yesterday, no problem. So my early '96 only needed 2 drive cycles. Unless you screw up, I don't see the need to do 3. It would be great to hear from anyone that cleared multiple codes with only one drive cycle. If I had my new Innova, I certainly would have checked before attempting the second one!

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited by dcdude; 03-16-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dcdude,

Sure glad to read when folks like yourself have success with that BMW routine I posted here (way back in 9/03) and later to Mike's site. Makes me feel like I've given back at least a little of what I've gotten from y'all RL 993ers over the years.

JC
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What I need to know is after starting what happens if you move to step 2 and start driving but can't maintain steady speed for 3 minutes. Can you slow down or stop then keep going again to 20-30mph for 3 minutes or does stopping reset you?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
dcdude
Drifting

I believe that as long as you don't stall, exceed 3,000 RPM or 60 MPH, you get as many chances as you need to complete each test. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't mix up the order either, as long as the cold test is done cold and the hot test is done hot.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience has been that it doesn't seem to reset you to the beginning unless you exceed the speed limitation. I'd just restart the segment but if you do a total of 3 minutes in multiple attempts it probably would work.

Someday, maybe I'll try experimenting with a couple approaches to see if this will really work.

JC
Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Mind if I put this on pcarworkshop ?

Cheers,

Mike
and if you want the official official official one.... it's been since the beginning of pcarworkshop here:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/d...93-1997-07.pdf

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
What I need to know is after starting what happens if you move to step 2 and start driving but can't maintain steady speed for 3 minutes. Can you slow down or stop then keep going again to 20-30mph for 3 minutes or does stopping reset you?
Originally Posted by ecobb993
My experience has been that it doesn't seem to reset you to the beginning unless you exceed the speed limitation. I'd just restart the segment but if you do a total of 3 minutes in multiple attempts it probably would work.

Someday, maybe I'll try experimenting with a couple approaches to see if this will really work.

JC
The only way the roads around my house could be any better for setting the readiness indicators is if I lived on a test track. That being said, I do have 2 stop signs to go through during the first 20 - 30 mph portion of the drive so I've never been able to maintain 20 mph continuously and it's never been a problem for me. I just get back up to speed and continue on. From my experience stopping for stop signs has not caused any problems on the runs.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I don't see the need to do 3."

Some early '96 cars require 3.

"Would be great to hear from anyone that cleared multiple codes with only 1 drive cycle"

The readiness codes/monitors are SET when OBDII tests are completed. They are RESET,
i.e. The tests no longer indicate a completion when the battery is disconnected or an engine
fault code is RESET. The OBDII requirement is for a minimum of TWO drive cycles. No 993,
i.e. without a DME mod, will complete the tests with one drive cycle.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
No 993, i.e. without a DME mod, will complete the tests with one drive cycle.
Cool. Good to know that I didn't waste any time. I have an early '96. 9/95 build, I believe.

It originally had the '95 style vented brake fluid reservoir..."I you mean I have to clamp that line shut before I started pumping on the Motiv bleeder? Is that why I have a quart of ATE on my garage floor?"
Old 03-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This whole process is absolutely maddening. Especially living in a dense area - in my case in a Mission Hills canyon near DT San Diego. I've now been through 5 drive cycles blind. 2 stops at CA Smog Test stations to confirm all codes remain unset and to top it off a perfectly clean emmision test in hand but fail due to non readiness of the OBD. I even bought the Innova Equus 3100 and after two full drive cycles it's just stays yellow with all codes still flashing (not set). I've probably put 500 miles on the just f'in around with this stoopid cycle. I've had it I'm calling for a referee appointment on Monday. This is nuts
Old 03-19-2011, 06:07 PM
rusty993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Flat-six, sorry to read about your troubles.

I got back from Oregon after a top-end job with no codes set and emission testing due in a few weeks. I did the drive cycles blind, about 5 times from a cold start and went to the smog station not knowing the status. I was lucky and everything was set.

I had trouble finding places to do the slow speed driving, and on the freeways people coming up behind me whilst trying to keep under 60mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive