993 Forum 1995-1998

The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Let's see - two post in two years...

Last post before UNSTICKING this thread. This Forum is a mess with Sticky posts - why are there so many ADMIN THREADS?

John D.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:28 PM
tuctech
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third time was a charm

I have a 96 993 and the battery died during winter storage. I failed my NJ DMV inspection on readiness codes. I followed the BMW approach and on the third attempt gave each segment extra time. On the last stage I coasted to a stop in a parking lot and connected my obd reader. The codes were still incomplete. After 3 minutes at idle in neutral they all flipped. The process works, just follow directions and be patient.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:47 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tuctech
I have a 96 993 and the battery died during winter storage. I failed my NJ DMV inspection on readiness codes. I followed the BMW approach and on the third attempt gave each segment extra time. On the last stage I coasted to a stop in a parking lot and connected my obd reader. The codes were still incomplete. After 3 minutes at idle in neutral they all flipped. The process works, just follow directions and be patient.
Sometimes!
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 09-14-2022, 03:49 PM
IX-XI S4
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about Driving Cycle reset

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"1. In order to do this you have to have an OBD II reader to see what progress you have made."

Actually, that's incorrect as an OBDII reader won't provide ANY info until ALL
drive cycles (trips) are complete.

"2. Porsche has a tool that lets them see which flags have reset (your OBD II reader will also tell you that) and it also tells them what load the engine is experiencing . The OBD II reader won't tell you that."

Again incorrect, as the OBDII reader provides NO info as per the previous
comment. Also, the flags get SET as the tests are completed and get RESET
with a DTC reset, a battery disconnect or engine shutoff. The term RESET
whether a PC or the OBDII monitoring system always denotes the default
state which is no monitors complete for the OBDII system. And for a PC,
a RESET places a PC in its initial state before the problem, e.g. "blue screen"
lockup. You SET your digital watch to the correct time and RESET your stop
watch to it default state of zero elapsed time.

"3. From past experience I can tell you that the flags reset under a light engine load (easy on the throttle). You need at least 2 engine cycles for the secondary air injection."

Again incorrect, the SAI gets done at a cold engine start, once per drive cycle.
Read the posted document.

"4. Some flags won't reset until others have reset (adaption range 2 has to reset before adaption range 1)."

Yes there's a sequence and if one test fails the others won't be performed,
e.g. SAI & Tank Venting must complete first.

"5. You do not have to do this all during the same drive. Once a flag has reset, it will stay reset until you have a fault with that function or perform an OBD II reset (by disconnecting the battery or using the OBD II reader)."

Again wrong, as all tests within a drive cycle must complete before engine
shut-off or all the tests start from the beginning at the next engine startup.

Bottom Line: Please don't provide misleading info for 993 owners, i.e. confuse
other vehicle's operation or fail to properly present the 993 OBDII monitoring system.
For many, setting all the OBDII monitors are annoying enough without being
misled on the process.
Is it possible to complete this procedure to reset the Driving Cycle on a lift with the tires removed? the reason why I ask is because I live in a crowded area with lots of traffic lights and stop signs. Also do you know of a scanning tool that I can get from let say Amazon that is not Durametrics to confirm all the codes or flags are cleared? thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:52 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by IX-XI S4
Is it possible to complete this procedure to reset the Driving Cycle on a lift with the tires removed? the reason why I ask is because I live in a crowded area with lots of traffic lights and stop signs.
It's not possible to SET all of the required monitors AND complete two ('96 993) trips on a lift, the engine needs to be under a load, i.e. driving.

Originally Posted by IX-XI S4
Also do you know of a scanning tool that I can get from let say Amazon that is not Durametrics to confirm all the codes or flags are cleared? thanks in advance.
Most all scanners, e.g. Autel, for $35 or more can check on the state of the OBDII monitors and determine whether they're SET.

Last edited by systemsc; 09-14-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:23 AM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Since multiple searches kept leading me back to this thread as the definitive resource on the topic, and because there's no need to start a new thread, I figured I post up my recent experience (struggle) with the infamous 993 OBDII monitor "set" process.

1997 C2S, 11/97 build date. Around 38K mileage. Had a CEL a few months back (likely due to non-use because the car sits too much - I know, I know....). Reset it with my Durametric and forgot about it. Registration comes due and smog check required. Didn't even think about it until the guy plugs in and starts rambling about monitors not being set. I had 5 flags that needed to be set. Did the research and this is what worked:

* Cold start, idle 20 min. in neutral (car is a 6spd)
* Keep revs below 3K at all times during the drive
* Drove to the freeway - entire drive was on the freeway at about 4:30 AM to keep me from getting run over (more on that below)
* 8 miles (did 10) in 6th at a steady 2100 RPM
* 5 miles (did 7) in 6th at a steady 2500 RPM (note that this translates to about 70 MPH so the theories about keeping it under 60 are not true for my car)
* 8 miles in 6th at a steady 1800 RPM (this was the most dangerous part as it translates to about 55 MPH in 6th - not fun on a wide open so cal freeway - for this reason I did EXACTLY 8 miles)
* Pulled off freeway, idled for 5 minutes.

This set all of my monitors with success.

A couple of notes/observations:

* Process took 2 trips and I did it in 2 mornings with a cold start each time
* I used cruise control for every engine speed.
* Freeway was flat.
* I used an AutoLink AL519 reader. It was connected at the beginning of the drive and in the I/M readiness mode, and stayed connected in that mode the entire drive. It did NOT show any flags progressively setting. At the final 5 minute idle stage, I took it out of I/M readiness mode, then re-ran in that mode, and when it came back up all the flags were set. I let it run for the half hour drive home and interestingly it occasionally beeped twice as if it was continually checking. It did not do this prior to the flags being set.

Hope this helps as another data point on this endless issue....

Old 12-05-2022, 07:50 PM
beagling
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

@SRL thanks for posting this. I was completely frustrated using the "BMW Driving Cycle" most people are using . I had ZERO success with it after doing 6 attempts (3 drive cycle pairs) . I followed the instructions to a T, to no avail.

I them saw @SRL post here at the end of this thread and thought why not give it a try ,

I woke up at 4AM on Saturday morning and did first drive cycle . Parked for 4-5 hours then did the second drive cycle. Plugged in my Actron and immediately saw that all codes were set ! What a feeling of relief!

Got my smog done today and had plates issued from DMV.

SRL thanks for posting !!!

Quick Reply: The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive