993 Forum 1995-1998

SHE'S DOA 08_01_09 5:55PM PST

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
craiger914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHE'S DOA 08_01_09 5:55PM PST

Well if you haven't been following my thread you made made it in time for "The Viewing"

Mind you, this so called New Engine was installed with the odometer reading 2742 and died at 3653

Looks like it was # 5 (could that be the same cylinder as the first blown motor?)

I believe there was too much wrong to have a chance. I really tried and worked hard that past few days. So, If I throw a tantrom, you'll understand, I'm sure.

Back to the facts:

The Milky, solvent smelling, whatever, oil is METAL! Bearings . # 5 rocker is the culprate, I actually stopped at this point.
I mean it's over.

I don't believe, picture #4, helped matters much, either. I'm rather confused why they chose to restrict the crankcase breather when they went to all the trouble to fabricate a breather system that King Kong could have been content with riddled withAsthma. The real upsetting part, though, is how over the top, Jim Patrick was and how awesome this system will work. Yeah, you could stop an elephant ****ting with a big enough cork!

Oh, wait could it be the first motor PUKED quarts of oil all over the place because they installed a used pump? Even when the customer wasn't comforatable with it from the get go?
Yes, Craig.
But wait, didn't his car, being freshly painted and all, get saturated with oil, several times?
Yes, Craig.
But, wait didn't the motor blow up after all that?
Yes, Craig
Did Craig have to pay even more than you raped him for?
Yes, We don't guarantee #5. Here at PATRICK MOTORSPORTS.

So this whole breather system was a STAGE SHOW?
Yes, Craig
Was is not cylinder #5 that failed in the last motor?
Yes, Craig
Did you use the same crank even having these issues?
Yes, Craig
Did you, at least, get him a new Pauter Rod?
We don't guarantee #5. Here at PATRICK MOTORSPORTS

You mean you botched this motor and sent me packin with a bill far greater than you told him knowing he was set to arrive to pick up his car?
Yes, Craig.

Did he know you switched his band New Racaro seats and replaced them with yours knowing they are sun damaged as you live in the toolies?
Ummmm, was that after 5?

I attched some pictures.... take a look at the filter, it tells the whole story. The knocking I heard was PISTION SLAP #5
You'll see copper chunks in the filter and that my friends be the tops of rod bearings. The Milky Oil is more than likely, The main bearings.

I have never in my life seen such issues with ANY bottom end.
This is just plain "poor workmanship" at it's best.

Picture # 1 has been labled " EXIBIT GRENADE"

You must be proud... Jimbo!
Ummmm, is it after 5?
Attached Images          

Last edited by craiger914; 08-02-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That can't be good on any level...................

shouldn't this be in the 914 board? sorry for ya either way
Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 PM
craiger914
Advanced

Um, That car is a half breed. It's more, well was more 993 than most.

Would you ask your step sister that?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my... I was afraid how this would turn out watching the other thread.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
craiger914
Advanced

Here's a couple more... sorry for going on and on. I am besides myself, pissed.

It the photos look like my motor, **** every where.

PERFECT!
Attached Images         
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn. So sorry to hear of your trouble. Well I guess it wasn't an assembly problem for the rod knock, but a dilution of oil one.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:33 AM
craiger914
Advanced

Thanks, Race

As you may agree, this motor seems suspect, I mean even after the ist motor ley go. I'm still in shock. 900 miles (easy weekend miles) and this POS can't stay together? Nice, go team go!

I'm now thinking the case itself has issues. Machining is huge and I think mine rec'd ..... none, nada, zip? From day one, this 3.8 had issues as it was puking enormous amounts of oil
out the Crankcase tube outlet @ the top of the case (wer're taking a quart on each birp or hiccup, sometimes 2) and at a mere 4700 rmp. From what I've read, this issue was resolved quite some time ago and IS clearly documented that any decent, not even great, Porsche builder is quite aware , moreover, it's not that big if a deal.

One other irritating factor, too...

Again, from what I've read, Most Porsche builders know that these 993 N/A cranks are NOT realiable for any real power or longevity ( @ 6-7k rmp- even spurts) . I'm not a builder, but it doesn't take long to get with the program, especially when you get stung. It's true the GT3R or 964 crank are a much better choice. I mean why in the hell would anyone use Potter rods on what amounts to be a JUNK CRANK. Well, I'll take that back, at least for me or my application, If you want and any real power and you expect to keep it in one piece for any said time ya gotta go with the upgrade. As you know, these 993N/A cranks have had ongoing issues with regards to numbers 2 & 5. I feel, knowing what I know now, adding Potter Rods to this 993 N/A is as ridculous as ...........

"Selling String Bikinis in front of Jenny Craig"

Bottom line, I was was sold a **** pie! And I don't likes **** pie!

Wow, I guess I just went off.....

Have a great rest of the weekend, lol ....my bad

Craig

Last edited by craiger914; 08-02-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I wonder if there are oiling issues related to the outer oiling system, not anything internally. High restrictions in aftermarket oil filters, this breather system that was modified for this installation. Just a thought.

I do find engine number one failure of the oil pump a bit odd. For the housing to crack like that would require some sort of hydro lock or a large chunk of something to have been passed through it, jamming the rotors. To me its a bit odd. This leads me to believe something strange is still going on with the oiling system.

Where is your oil tank located?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This blows big time Craig.

Sorry man...

I hope something can be worked out with the builder after you get through the first couple of stages of grieving. There is far too much $$ involved here.

Oil pressure was normal throughout revs?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Craig

I have been following your postings and my heart goes out to you. This sucks. Although I have little faith in the court system (criminal or civil), I think you should go the small claims route. It is only good for $7500, which I am sure is less than what you have put out, but considering what a lawyer would charge and the time involved for a regular lawsuit, I believe it is your best shot. You are articulate enough and have documented it well enough that you make a compelling case. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:03 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Craig,

I have just seen your other post and in my opinion if the components of the main oil relief valve (the one underneath, not on the side) came out in the order you have shown them then they were not assembled right. The order should be the bolt, crush washer, a spacer (metal shim, like a tappet shim) the guide tube with the flared end on the shim then the spring and finally the piston. The spring should sit in the piston, the guide tube should not.

Not sure of the effect of this but this is the main oil relief valve - the other being more of a blow off.

Check the above, but I'm pretty sure.

Regards
GR
Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I wonder if there are oiling issues related to the outer oiling system, not anything internally. High restrictions in aftermarket oil filters, this breather system that was modified for this installation. Just a thought.
+1. I just posted my story of a blown engine due to a faulty oil catch can (which in my case I know was clogged). Crankcase pressurization can be very very bad.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
craiger914
Advanced

Default Thank you all.

double post---my bad
Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
craiger914
Advanced

Default Thank you all.

Hey guys,

You all have valid points and I appreciate your comments.

Like Chris had mentioned, ever since the crankcase issue started I've thought the oil system "design" is flawed. I ran a theory by the the builder and that didn't go very far. Again, I'm not the Porsche pro, but I've always thought the problem lies due to a leveling issue between the tank and the case. In words, the oil tank levels are consistently higher than the crankcase, and it's obvious it is, therefore force feeding too much volume. I was thinking, the volume, weight and gravity the oil tank is presenting towards the motor, the oil pump just can't compete or keep up with the excess. If too much oil is in the case at all time, the oil will try and exit any way it can?

I'll figure it out, but it needs to be addressed.

GR: Thanks for the correct position of the pressure relief.
I added a photo of the correction. I think is what you meant.
(see photo)

The Mahle Filter: Something else I need to look into.
I've read these Malhle filters are having issues with the check valve sticking. Some good threads on this.

As far as my motor:

There was so much super, super, fine bearing metals in the oil either the builder didn't fully "flush" or "clean" from the 1st bown motors debris. Or, the case may have issues? Maybe, the rod that he had "reconditioned" was at fault?
Maybe as I said, debris from the 1st motor tanked the new one?

We'll know more when it comes apart and the oil has been "Analyzed" professionally.

I can't believe the bottom end failed on the same cylinder as the 1st motor with out some sort of connection.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:48 PM
craiger914
Advanced

GR, almost forgot, This should be correct?

Thanks.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: SHE'S DOA 08_01_09 5:55PM PST