993 Forum 1995-1998

DC Peeps - Need Advice! Moving, Car Storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DC Peeps - Need Advice! Moving, Car Storage

Looks like I'm moving to DC in a couple months to take a job with, who else, Uncle Sam. I'm inclined to live in the city for a year but there's a lot I don't know about the area (I used to live in Chicago for years so I know about the big city headaches!). I'd appreciate any advice on where to live, etc. If it's the city I'll need to stow my car in a safe garage, doesn't need to be nearby.

Thanks!

-NEK, St. Louis
Old 07-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NEK
Looks like I'm moving to DC in a couple months to take a job with, who else, Uncle Sam. I'm inclined to live in the city for a year but there's a lot I don't know about the area (I used to live in Chicago for years so I know about the big city headaches!). I'd appreciate any advice on where to live, etc. If it's the city I'll need to stow my car in a safe garage, doesn't need to be nearby.

Thanks!

-NEK, St. Louis
Stream of conscienceness warning...

Living and working in DC is the most efficient from a transportation standpoint, but if you are like me, you will tire of the city quickly.

The biggest factor no one is really prepared for when they move here is the traffic. Its bad. Really bad. Like Los Angeles during rush hour bad. The Beltway has several massive bottlenecks in both Maryland and Virginia which bring all eight lanes of traffic to a standstill every morning and every evening.

270 from Maryland south is a disaster. 66 from Virginia north is a disaster.

Metro is a good subway system and proximity to one of the lines costs a premium. If you chose to live in Northern Virginia, the Orange Line is your bet. It runs through Arlington. if you choose Montgomery County, MD, the Redline is your best choice. It runs through Rockville, Bethesda, etc.

Do not move to Prince Georges County, MD. Do not live in Southeast DC. Do not live in Northeast DC. Do not live in Southwest DC.

In the city, the general rule is that you want to be on the west side of 16th Street with a Northwest address. Some of the other areas of the city, like portions of Anacostia, make Basra, Iraq, during a Marine offensive, look livable.

Although improvements have been realized, crime remains a massive problem. Prince George's County, for example, (still, I think) lays claim to the title of the highest per-capita violent crime rate of any county in the United States.

Northern Virginia is not without its problems. MS13, which is a local gang, occupies portions of the areas surrounding Herndon, etc, etc.

What else... (brain function ceasing... late...)

Weather.

We have two seasons. Rain and Humidity.

July and August here are brutal from a weather perspective. 90-95 degrees and near-enough-as-makes-no-difference, 100% humidity. However, the silver lining is that everyone goes on vacation during these months so traffic eases.

The winters are very mild. Might see two or three days with light snow. Stay home. Im also from the midwest, Chicago specifically, and people here cant drive in the snow (or rain for that matter). While you might be able to just fine, the sheer number of drivers on the road who can not operate a vehicle, while some form of liquid or frozen precipitation is falling, is simply staggering.

Prior to moving here, I had never been in an accident. In 3 years, Ive been rear ended twice. I'd need all my fingers and toes to count the number of near misses.

Real estate prices are ridiculous. Its a high barrier to entry market, etc, etc.

That said... dont let my current foul mood, which is driving this post, put you off.

Washington is a great town with lots of things to do. The museums, monuments, etc, etc are all free and are all world-class. The restaurant and night-life scenes rival any major city and then some and, for the most part, there is a lot to love.

Ill come back tomorrow morning when Ive had some sleep and give you a more positive perspective.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm, based on the comments by Stuttgart951, I’d have to say he doesn’t get out much or either it he’s just scared.

Lot of assumptions made here.. maybe NEK is looking to be in the City. It has changed much in the last few years.. and mostly for the better. Lots of great restaurants, night life, etc.. Car storage is difficult one.. although there are house available with garages. Also a big selling point with condos of late.. you can buy the condo, the parking spot is extra.. like $20k ! Occasionally when the stable has bulged I have rented garages and that availability does exist. Some of the local shops offer storage as well.

Stuttgart951 is spot on about the traffic in the area.. it can be a disaster from any point around the beltway when traveling in and out for work.

Think Stuttgart is a little out of touch and/or does not paint the whole picture with his comments of where not to live.
- PG County like anywhere else has its pockets of good and bad.. depending on what your needs are, there are some deals around there at this point.
- South East DC.. well, there again.. out of touch with the whole picture. Capital Hill runs through both Southeast and Northeast, some very nice and many historic homes there.. and it ain’t cheap!
- What you don’t want is far SE or far NE.. both of these can be a less than desirable
- Southwest is a really weird mix although there are some areas around Maine Ave & 7th Street that are ok.. they just built the Nationals Stadium in SW and the area is a bit edgy/seedy..

As far as a general rule.. umm who’s rule is that… yours? Oh
16th street is one of the longest streets in the city. You can literally go from downtown to Silver Spring. Mostly apartments and condos on the lower side, but as you head north it changes. It betters from Arkansas Ave north. Very nice areas west of the park as stated (Rock Creek Park). However, I don’t see that as the only NW address to have. Look around there are many jewels to be had.

Oh, and to compare any part of NW , or DC for that matter to Basra say’s that you’ve obviously not been there.. TV doesn’t count.

Crime is a problem as it is in any major city in the US. DC is no different in that regard. VA has it’s issue too as you have stated and it’s not just MS13.. and they have a much broader reach than just local.

Well.. at least you’re spot on about the weather anyway! Oh, ok and you were in both a foul mood and had ”( brain function ceasing... late...)” Understand now..
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If you survived St. Louis heat and humidity, you will find it is exactly the same in DC.
Beyond that, I'm of no help with your other questions...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 PM
NEK
Pro

Wow, those were 2 of the best OT posts I've read on this forum! Hilarious! I encourage all the cranky, anti-cranky, and any other sort of advice I can get.

-NEK, St. Louis
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
Stream of conscienceness warning...

Living and working in DC is the most efficient from a transportation standpoint, but if you are like me, you will tire of the city quickly.

The biggest factor no one is really prepared for when they move here is the traffic. Its bad. Really bad. Like Los Angeles during rush hour bad. The Beltway has several massive bottlenecks in both Maryland and Virginia which bring all eight lanes of traffic to a standstill every morning and every evening.

270 from Maryland south is a disaster. 66 from Virginia north is a disaster.

Metro is a good subway system and proximity to one of the lines costs a premium. If you chose to live in Northern Virginia, the Orange Line is your bet. It runs through Arlington. if you choose Montgomery County, MD, the Redline is your best choice. It runs through Rockville, Bethesda, etc.

Do not move to Prince Georges County, MD. Do not live in Southeast DC. Do not live in Northeast DC. Do not live in Southwest DC.

In the city, the general rule is that you want to be on the west side of 16th Street with a Northwest address. Some of the other areas of the city, like portions of Anacostia, make Basra, Iraq, during a Marine offensive, look livable.

Although improvements have been realized, crime remains a massive problem. Prince George's County, for example, (still, I think) lays claim to the title of the highest per-capita violent crime rate of any county in the United States.

Northern Virginia is not without its problems. MS13, which is a local gang, occupies portions of the areas surrounding Herndon, etc, etc.

What else... (brain function ceasing... late...)

Weather.

We have two seasons. Rain and Humidity.

July and August here are brutal from a weather perspective. 90-95 degrees and near-enough-as-makes-no-difference, 100% humidity. However, the silver lining is that everyone goes on vacation during these months so traffic eases.

The winters are very mild. Might see two or three days with light snow. Stay home. Im also from the midwest, Chicago specifically, and people here cant drive in the snow (or rain for that matter). While you might be able to just fine, the sheer number of drivers on the road who can not operate a vehicle, while some form of liquid or frozen precipitation is falling, is simply staggering.

Prior to moving here, I had never been in an accident. In 3 years, Ive been rear ended twice. I'd need all my fingers and toes to count the number of near misses.

Real estate prices are ridiculous. Its a high barrier to entry market, etc, etc.

That said... dont let my current foul mood, which is driving this post, put you off.

Washington is a great town with lots of things to do. The museums, monuments, etc, etc are all free and are all world-class. The restaurant and night-life scenes rival any major city and then some and, for the most part, there is a lot to love.

Ill come back tomorrow morning when Ive had some sleep and give you a more positive perspective.
Well said.

Andreas
Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

NEK, try going to www.dorkiphus.net. It's where the local Porscheheads like onboost and and I hang out and is geared heavily towards the DC/NoVa/MD (Potomac PCA region) crowd, although they do allow Baltimorons like me to belly up to the bar. The Dorkis will be able to better answer your storage and living questions.

If you decide to live in Montgomery County/Howard County, let me know if I can help you find a house, as I am very familiar with those counties. If you're heading more towards DC or NoVa, I know of a few top agents who can assist you.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

We who live here for the most part LOVE DC and would never move away from this general area. You're blessed, moving here. Just come and drive around for a while with a real estate agent, to get a feel for some different areas. You really can't go wrong, with whatever you pick. I have friends that love living in the city, we love living in the Maryland suburbs (Gaithersburg). If our stepdaughter didn't live all the way out here, we'd probably live in Bethesda, MD instead. I'd probably pick Crescent Plaza Condos (if condo living was better than buying an expensive house - you can rent a condo or buy one here) at 7111 Woodmont Ave because you can walk to the independent film theater (Landmark Bethesda) in 2 minutes (I live for movies and usually see every one they have there as soon as it comes out), have 100's of restaurants within a 3-4 mile walk, have metro within a 1/2 mile walk, it's on a quiet sidestreet, away from the general hustle and bustle of busy Bethesda, and is right off Wisconsin Ave near Chevy Chase.

Good luck with your new life here. Be sure to visit my favorite places... the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (is there anything more heartbreaking than walking through this memorial and you get to the lowest part where all the names rise above you in unimaginable numbers?), the Marine Corp Memorial (Brand new, in Quantico, the best new museum in our area by far beside the Newseum in DC), the Newseum of course, The Korean War Memorial (Freedom is not free), and Great Falls, the Virginia side where you're right in front of the huge falls at the very end - the roar is deafening. Also, hike Old Rag Mtn in the Shenandoah Mtns. It's worth the trip and quite staggeringly beautiful and challenging.

Steve R
Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
NEK, try going to www.dorkiphus.net. It's where the local Porscheheads like onboost and and I hang out and is geared heavily towards the DC/NoVa/MD (Potomac PCA region) crowd, although they do allow Baltimorons like me to belly up to the bar. The Dorkis will be able to better answer your storage and living questions.

If you decide to live in Montgomery County/Howard County, let me know if I can help you find a house, as I am very familiar with those counties. If you're heading more towards DC or NoVa, I know of a few top agents who can assist you.
Hey Mark.. hope all is well with you. Wasn't aware you did work in Mont-CO. Just passed a very good Chevy Chase lead to someone... I'll keep you in mind as another arises. So waht's been happening in oold B-more? I was up that way last week for Artscape.. made my way over to the Cross Street Maarket and then off to Fells Point

Steve,, very good points..
Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dcdude spent his first 18 years in DC, Montgomery County to be exact. While Stuttgart made some broad generalities, they're not far off the mark if you want to same time as a newcomer looking for a decent place to live.

In terms of cost/benefit value, if I were a newcomer, I'd start looking in Bethesda, then Alexandria (VA) then maaaybe Chevy Chase, but it's probably still silly money to live there. All three places allow the possibility of a garage while still being close to lots of fun stuff to do. If money's tight, Gaithersburg is outlying a bit, but a pretty good compromise. If you're adventurous, parts of Silver Spring can potentially be interesting and still very convenient to the city, but other parts of it are quite sketchy. Walking distance of the Metro red line is a BIG bonus.

The City itself pretty much sucks. My dad grew up in Foxhall Road, argueabely the "best" part, and he agrees wholeheartedly. DC politics will turn your stomach. Nepotism is the rule. Save yourself the agony and don't even try to make a play for Georgetown. You'll pay out the *** and still not have a "safe" neighborhood. Maybe check Adams Morgan. It used to be hip, and there may be deals there.

Don't drive your Porsche when it snows. The town effectively shuts down. No one knows how to drive in it. Lots of brake lights.

Buy a Redskins jersey, but don't expect to actually get in to see a game. Sold out for the last 40 years.

Eat as many crab cakes as you can.

Bonus: random OT TV ad for all of you DC old timers, sung by our own Nils Lofgren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7PEMGuA6tw
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
Hey Mark.. hope all is well with you. Wasn't aware you did work in Mont-CO. Just passed a very good Chevy Chase lead to someone... I'll keep you in mind as another arises. So waht's been happening in oold B-more? I was up that way last week for Artscape.. made my way over to the Cross Street Maarket and then off to Fells Point.
Hey, Paul,

My RE/MAX office used to be based in Howard County, so I did a fair bit of work in Montgomery County. Thanks for keeping me in mind!

Glad you got a chance to hit Artscrape aka Foodscape as the weather was the best I have ever seen it. I've been riding my mountain bike a lot in an effort to get back into shape and get back down to my goal of 170lbs and, of course, working my butt off in real estate. The market is really quite fine and good enough for me to start my own team.

Hope you're well!

Originally Posted by dcdude68

If you're adventurous, parts of Silver Spring can potentially be interesting and still very convenient to the city, but other parts of it are quite sketchy. Walking distance of the Metro red line is a BIG bonus.
Good points. If you choose Silver Spring, just be sure you don't buy a house near the Intercounty Connector, a new highway that will run east-west between I-270 and I-95. I had a listing in Silver Spring that I was incredibly lucky to sell as it was 700 yards away from the slated construction and roadway.

Quick Reply: DC Peeps - Need Advice! Moving, Car Storage