Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are you selling your low mileage C2S or C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Whatever the rational may be that drives the resales of nice 993's , and it's apparent recent peaks, most here can be thankful that it occurs .... for I'm guessing that >80% on this board are not first time owners .... .
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stedge
I go through this process at least annually. Frankly, I do not have the time to enjoy the car, which is pathetic in some ways, but other hobbies and work and fun stuff beckon. My kids are of the age where every weekend is a long slog to some soccer tourney, and we try to go as a family unless they are playing in different states (more and more), and, frankly, that is fun to do. But the 993 is not the car for that, destroyed cleats, sinky and muddy teenagers, and the dog and his water bowl. So weekends are shot, work is hell, etc. I drive it enough to keep it in good shape, and love looking at it, and really don't mind any of the routine maintenance I do just because I should. But I don't use it like I "should."

So should I sell it (I have not yet, obviously), or keep it because I just love the thing? So far the nonsensical and emotional has won out. When I drive it it makes me happy, you know? So I have not sold it. I guess happiness can't be overrated or a price placed on it.

But still, I don't use it and sometimes change for the sake of change is good, that money could finance other toys or something practical (yeah, that stuff is good, too). I guess change can be good, even if it only makes you realize what you had... So I ponder once in a while, too.
I totally agree. I'm kind of in the same situation. I take my car at once or twice a week to the Gym to play Hoop or the Saturdays I'm working at Partsheaven. Other than that it's pretty much in the garage. Because family can't all fit when we do the sport events or other family events.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Brad '95 C4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't Do it!

Hey Scott-

Nike Antithesis---"don't do it!"

With all the unique mods you've done to your car, it would be difficult to replace it with anything half as fun in the future. I find I have to look for opportunities to drive mine but as soon as I fire it up and head down the road I am quickly reminded as to why I own my C2S and hopefully selling it never crosses my mind.

5 reasons not sell:
The wife will never let you replace it with anything fun to drive.
Why let someone else enjoy all the mods you've done.
The markeplace/economy is soft so getting the proper saleprice is more difficult.
The next fun car to drive will cost you a bunch more and won't be nearly as much fun.
Driving skills will deteriorate because our cars take real skill to drive at the limit.

You should meet up with Jim M. and I for lunch or we should do a drive together.

Cheers,
Brad
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad '95 C4
Driving skills will deteriorate because our cars take real skill to drive at the limit.
Uh, maybe relative to what came after. A 993 is so dumb-easy drive at the limit (and truly how many owners have ever gotten there) relative to any trailing arm car of previous generations.

In 1980 if anyone told me that 15 years later a recognizable 911 this easy to hustle would still be in production, with basically a 928 suspension stuffed under the back, I would have thought the next fantasy being spouted would have to do with having streetable tires that had the grip of slicks.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And then you find out a GT3 isn't "all that" once you get it to the track. Is it fast? Yes. But what percentage of the ownership can exploit even the last 5% of the car? I can easily run with all but 2 or 3 of the ones out here with my basically stock RSA. And you've tied up 50-100% of what you've got in a good 993.

Johannes' article in the latest Excellence pretty much sums it up, though the comparison is GT3RS/997 Cup/Spec 911.
Wow, it's pretty amazing that you can beat most gt3s when your 964 is down at least 130hp. That's a testament to your driving skills. That means that if a gt3 with say 380 hp can be beat by 250hp RSA, then they are utilizing less than 70% of their car. Rough numbers of course.

Have you driven a gt3 and compared times to your 964? Just wondering what the difference would be with a gt3 and a skilled driver behind the wheel.

Numbers and track times aside, is it not worth the glorious engine note of 380+hp at over 8000 RPM? I would think that in itself might be a good reason to sell a 993 C2 for a gt3.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I mischaracterized that somewhat, as I'm really never actually on track with a GT3 that's not lapping significantly faster. The rest of them are in student groups with beginner/intermediate drivers. So they could just as well be in a Miata. (And make no mistake, you'll learn more figuring out how to hustle a Miata around a track than you will coming to terms with the limits of anything past a 10 lb/hp type car.)

If you want actual times, all Thunderhill w/ cyclone: Johannes was at 2:00 flat with the RS and 2:01.5 with the Spec 911 test I mentioned. (I'm guessing they used the full track, but that Spec 911 time is 2+ seconds faster than pretty much everyone in a not-so-developed car. John aka Mooty is just over 2:01 with his RS. Draw your own conclusions.) I'm around 2:06 on RA1's with the RSA as is. The yellow car I can get down in the 2:01's. Best I've seen with the C4S on ancient Hoosiers is 2:07's. Stock 996 GT3's (alignment/R comp's) are usually 2:02-3. It's more than gassing it down the straight; GT3's are seriously compromised at Thunderhill with stock gearing.

As far as engine, they certainly are the continuing development of the original air-cooled based design. Worth it? Not for me as the rest of the car leaves me cold.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine isn't a C2s or C4s (or for sale), but....I think about selling mine from time to time because I am lusting over the 997. They are getting affordable. But, when I think about someone else driving my 993 away, I get sick to my stomach. And no....I can't afford to have both (much less garage space too).

Quick Reply: Why are you selling your low mileage C2S or C4S?