Sponsored by:

Generation 993 - Great article

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Generation 993 - Great article

I don't know if this topic has been discussed but I was recently reading Total 911 (issue #48) and came across a great article written by Chris Weaver.

He goes onto say that the 993's success (not only its good looks, reliability, etc) are down to those of use who were born in the 70's and grew up in the 80's and understand what the car is about. It makes complete sense as we watched our dad's, grandfathers, etc. fiddle with cars that didn't contain the software or electronics today's vehicles do.

The 993 was one of the first Porsche's fitted with Litronics, ABS, etc. and coming from the generation of where PacMan, Donkey Kong, etc. and many other gaming type inventions were made, we as that generation didn't have time to tinker like our fathers.

In the article, Chris Weaver is quoted as saying:

"now that the technic male has grown up, there are those of us who want a 'classic' car but, because we lack the that innate technical knowledge of our older brothers, we find ourselves looking to the 993; not only because of its bedroom-poster looks but because is so utterly reliable, few other cars can compete with it".
"And even the least technically minded owner can live and learn the fundamentals of their 993, thanks to online forums; not necessairly so they can undertake working on the suspension or performing an oil change, but so they can go to a garage and speak competently about the work that is required safe in the knowledge that they won't be ripped off, and better still the work is done to the best possible standard".

I posted this as its so true as I find myself born in the 70's and definately not as technically inclined as my father and grandfather when it comes to tinkering or car related do-it-yourself. But I'm a huge fan of the 993 and it seems basic enough for me to understand and learn to maintain.

Anyway my hunt for the 993 continues...I thought the article summed it all up perfectly.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a child of the sixties who fell entranced by the 993 without any serious thought behind it other than reading Randy Leffingwell's buyers guide to 911s. The 993 simply looked the coolest to me.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Stil Crazy After All These Years", Porsche #8 a C2S.

"Still Crazy After All These Years" (Paul Simon), sums it up for me, I guess. I grew up in my Dad's motorcycle shop in Holland, being 7 when the WWII ended! Tinkering with motorized things became a passion... after 7 Porsches (5 Porsche 356 models, where you could do most things yourself, setting valve lash, timing, etc), I own # 8, a 993C2S. No more tinkering... no need to! It will be my Swan Song to the Porsche clan. The previous Porsche was a 1958 Cab, owned for 17 years, now passed on to a new custodian. For your enjoyment, she's here:

Last edited by Ocean Blue C2S; 11-21-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, what a beautiful car in a beautiful setting.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice shot. Is that the Calgary Golf and Country Club, Bert?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam,
That article describes me also.
--Joe
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
The 993 simply looked the coolest to me.
Same here.

The funny thing is, my father's (of blessed memory) mechanical competence ran to duct tape and sheet rock screws, and not much more. I've rebuilt a half-dozen 911 motors. I dunno why it worked out that way, but it did.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Like Ocean Blue C2S, I'm a child of the 40s. I grew up tinkering with anything mechanical that was within reach, including the lawnmower, a Mayrath garden tractor, assorted Farmalls, several H-D motorcycles, outboard motors, and a number of clunkers that were all I could afford in high school. I progressed through many family cars, VWs, an MG and a Triumph, and I'm now on my 7th Porsche.

To me, the 993 is the sweet spot of everything that Stuttgart has produced. It has the reliability of an anvil along with the necessary technology to optimize performance, but it isn't burdened with shovel-loads of "more stuff to break" that even the dealer's computer can't understand. The stunning looks are the cherry on the cake.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
To me, the 993 is the sweet spot of everything that Stuttgart has produced. It has the reliability of an anvil along with the necessary technology to optimize performance, but it isn't burdened with shovel-loads of "more stuff to break" that even the dealer's computer can't understand.

Except for the cursed immobilizer!!

I agree, though - the 993 is the sweet spot.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rinty,

That is indeed the Golf and Country Club (just off Elbow Drive)in Calgary, Alberta, I needed permission form the local guard to drive in for a few minutes and snap half dozen picts...

Cheers from "up here"!

Bert
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Tango635
Racer

Boys it's Analog vs "new and improved" Digital. Yes digital is faster, quicker, more maintenance free (not the same as more reliable!!). And we see it in products like music, photography, and others. With the exception of where efficiency is of the utmost priority, Analog is always better. Analog has depth, feel, texture, 3-D'ness that is lacking in Digital. That being said, I love the new GT3
Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM
manila3
Instructor

I grew up in the 80's and I think we were taught by example in the garage while watching our father or friends. Its just easier now that our father or friends far away can do the same using the computer. And I believe in practice; IMHO "the more it breaks down the more I get experience"

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/IMGA0152.jpg

My car is the red one, the white car does not break down.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
grwoolf
Racer

best looking + reasonable performance + classic interior + simple enough to tinker with = perfect fit for me.

When the 993 came out in the mid 90's, I thought is was the best looking 911 ever, but I certainly could not afford one (just out of college a few years). I still think it is the best looking 911 and feels like a classic car every time I go for a drive. The smell, lack of cup holders, simple instruments, etc. - truely the end of an era.

There are a lot of new cars I'd like to have, including the 997's, but I don't look at those in the same way I appreciate the 993. I can't think of too many cars built since 1972 that I'd consider more of a classic than the 993 unless you include exotic stuff like Ferraris, limited production stuff, or race cars. Time will tell where the 993 ultimately stands against the 964 and earlier SC's, etc., but I think it will be my favorite for quite a while. That 356 sure is pretty though...
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 PM
tctung
Instructor

The older, the cuter. Not too many cars can be. The 993 is definitely a keeper.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think plenty of "young guys/girls" can figure out what makes the old cars tick. Points and plugs and valve adjustments and sync'ing Webers (or fiddling with MFI) isn't THAT big of a deal. Now the oil leaks from the magnesium engines got a bit tiring............

I've said it before here, but for me it's that it's the last refinement of the original design. So I like all the incremental improvements. But honestly if I were pressed for cash I could easily step back to the SC I had 15 years ago that was a hybrid of the best of the SC, Carrera, and '73RS. And as Johannes showed in the latest Excellence, a Spec 911 racer is hardly slower than a GT3RS.........

Quick Reply: Generation 993 - Great article