Sponsored by:

Targa Interior Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Targa Interior Trim Removal

The glue on the vinyl that covers the trim pieces above both doors on my Targa is starting to fail so I need to remove the trim and re-glue them. It looks like they just pull off but if anyone has removed them before and can confim that (or tell me the correct way to remove them) please let me know. These are the pieces that cover the tracks on the interior and run from the windshield header back to the rear window and are covered in black vinyl.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing this from memory so becareful in case I miss something. (Edit: I found the page in the service manual)
You have to take off the piece that goes across the top of the windshield, the one with the interior light. This is called the crossbow trim section.
The screws for the sunvisors hold it up and the cover kinda hooks around on the side toward the back of the car. It will then come off and if you aren't carefull it will fall and yank hard on the wires to the light, so it is a good idea to pull the light first (tag the wires)

Then there is a nut visible at the front end of each side trim piece, undo that.

The the coat hooks have to be removed. The coat hook screws go all the way through and hold a metal tab that comes down from the trim piece. (B in the picture below)this thing is sharp and can esaily scratch other interior vinyl as you take the trim out.

There is also some sort of sliding-into-slot thing..... see the pictures (even though its really hard to see) Mine is broken from the PO having some loser work on it. The trim piece has to be slid backwards 40 mm to release it.
Then the trim piece can be then wriggled out of the car

in the back by the rear deck those screws you see are only to hold the black plastic trim piece, they dont anchor the back in place, they come out with/attached to the trim piece, they are adjustable covers to hid the cable tubes. You may have to loosen them to get the thing to slide backwards to release the clip.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Amfab; 07-16-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Amfab - that's very helpful, thank you. I'm glad I didn't just tug on them!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I repaired mine but did not remove the pieces to do it. You might try gluing them while they are still in place, to save the hassle and the potential of breaking them. Just a thought, having done it before.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Adrienne,

Thanks - I considered that but there is enough left over and dirty glue still on the trim that I think I'll need to remove them to be able to clean them up and make the re-glue last.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

They are not that hard to take off...but be patient putting them back on. You will have to align the side pieces so, then you slide then forward, both the front and back locks lock in. Its more obvious once you have the side trim off.

From memory (perhaps this might supplement the notes from Andrew above).

1 - Remove the front cross-bow cover. Pop the center light out and disconnect (and note wiring). Undo and remove sun visors. Grab the entire cover and pull directly back, it should just slide back and come off.

2 - Undo the little nut/washers the hold down the forward end of the side rails to the font frame of the sunroof.

3 - Remove the rear speaker/deck cover. I do this just because its easy...a few screws and it just comes right out.

4 - Remove the trim piece at the end of the side rail that hides the cable.

5 - Remove the hanger hooks, etc. (as above)

6 - Grab the side rail cover (either side), get a firm grip, and slide the rail backwards towards the rear of the car...it should slide about an inch or so. Watch out for hang-ups and the metal tab that is behind where the coat hanger was.

6 - The side rail will just drop out.

Putting it back is the reverse with some swearing. You have to start with the rail cover all the way back, and then slide it forwards along the rail so the two interlocks engage that actually hold the cover on. Its more obvious when the cover is off. If you do not get these on properly, the side covers appear loose, and may rattle.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the middle of putting my trim back in and I am having very little success. Does anyone who has put the trim back have any suggestions. By the way those little trim pieces on the end should be unscrewed but if you break them they cost less than ten dollars to replace. Ask me how I know.
Robert
Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Which pieces? The long interior trims pieces that run front to back?

You have to press them upwards then slide them back so the catches lock in - look on how they are attached and you should be able to figure it out. I use some painters tape and a marker to tell me the position of the locking plate on the trim and the position of the notch on the roof so I know where to align them - since you are working blind.

cheers,

Mike
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Fast and great suggestion. I just got the passenger side in and am about to go back out and do the drivers side. I don't know if anyone needs them but I was missing two of the pieces that slide into the notch in the roof so I made a bunch out of ABS. If anyone needs them I will be happy to share.
Robert

Quick Reply: Targa Interior Trim Removal