993 Forum 1995-1998

Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Locking

Did a quick search, but most of the topics seem to talk about the immobilizer and remote locks, so here it goes...

The other day the central locking went out on my '95--no immobilizer or remote entry on the car. The console switch doesn't operate, and when locking/unlocking the door with the key, it doesn't lock/unlock the other door. More of a nuisance than big problem

Is there a fuse that might have tripped, or is it that the CLU probably needs to be replaced? I was looking in the fuse box, but didn't see anything that seemed to be for the CLU.

TIA!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Bump, anyone with a past experience with this?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Can you elaborate on the second part..... "locking/unlocking the door with the key, it doesn't lock/unlock the other door." If you are saying you turn the key and it does not lock/unlock the door, this is a purely mechanical linkage, no electronics involved. So I would start looking inside the door.

When you hit the lock/unlock switch on the console can you hear the solinoids "click", or silence?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Just silence when pressing the button. Prior to this, when locking the driver's door with the key, the passenger door would lock also--the passenger door remains unlocked now.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:21 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm not familiar with the '95 door locking system so excuse this post if it is inaccurate.

This would be my approach:

Before the malfunction, did locking/unlocking the passenger's side door also lock/unlock the driver's side door? In other words, did the locking system work the same way from both sides of the car?

If locking/unlocking the passenger side door used to lock/unlock both doors and it isn't now, then I would look at relays and fuses related to the entire door locking circuit.

If locking/unlocking the passenger side door still locks/unlocks both doors, then the problem is probably isolated somewhere in the electrical circuit in the driver's side door or between the driver's side door and the remainder of the door locking system.

Just a blind guess...

Terry
Old 07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Terry. I don't recall off-hand if the pass door unlocked the driver's side also, but think that was the case. In any case, it doesn't appear to be isolated to the driver's side door as there is no noise when the central lock switch is pressed.

I was trying to figure out the relay that is involved, but was having trouble tracking down the appropriate one (search wasn't helping too much..). The one that seemed to be closest to the right one on the fuse box cover pointed to a position that had a blank cover on it (no plug openings).
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi
Don't know if this is relevant to your problem , but here goes.
I had a problem where the car would activate the central locking and lock the doors ,irrespective of whether the doors were open or closed; more importantly irrespective of if the keys were in the ignition on and the doors closed with me outside !
I can tell you that was not funny at 2.30am , slightly the worse for wear, with the engine running.
To cut it short, it was the door shut sensors.
May be something to check.
Good luck
Tito
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 AM
RPW
8th Gear

Brian, If I remember correctly, there is a fuse on the connector side of the alarm/doorlock control unit. It is under the right seat next to the inner rail.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RPW
Brian, If I remember correctly, there is a fuse on the connector side of the alarm/doorlock control unit. It is under the right seat next to the inner rail.
That sounds like it might be the culprit--will try to check that out today.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 AM
dombeau
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSL
That sounds like it might be the culprit--will try to check that out today.
after 3 years, did somebody find an answer to that puzzle? I m having the same problem right now...

thx
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 AM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue when I installed a new amp under the passenger seat. The wiring harness was partially unplugged on the alarm control unit (small box with a large harness plugged into it right next to the center console under the passenger seat). Just take the seat out (4 hex bolts) and check the fuse on the unit itself and the plug. Do your interior lights work? This unit also controls the interior lights. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
Do your interior lights work? This unit also controls the interior lights. Good luck.
Dont know if the above statement is true or not; however, if it is the case, I believe fuse #29 is for cabin lights.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:21 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Thanks Terry. I don't recall off-hand if the pass door unlocked the driver's side also, but think that was the case. In any case, it doesn't appear to be isolated to the driver's side door as there is no noise when the central lock switch is pressed.

I was trying to figure out the relay that is involved, but was having trouble tracking down the appropriate one (search wasn't helping too much..). The one that seemed to be closest to the right one on the fuse box cover pointed to a position that had a blank cover on it (no plug openings).
On my car, a 97, there is no key hole in the passenger door handle.

Fuse in the Alarm Control Module is the place to start. The Central Lock Button and the lock/unlock switch in the door are different circuits into the Control Unit so if niether are working ... .

Here's a description of the central locking operation from the Diagnosis manual:
"When the ignition is off, the central locking button in the center console may be used to lock the doors only. With the ignition on, it may be used to lock and unlock the doors. With the driver's door open the doors cannot be locked."
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4;
Do your interior lights work? This unit also controls the interior lights. Good luck.
Originally Posted by nine9six
Dont know if the above statement is true or not; however, if it is the case, I believe fuse #29 is for cabin lights.
The alarm control unit does control the interior lights, and the luggage compartment light (except RS).

From the Diagnosis manual ...
"The interior lights are no longer controlled directly via the door contacts. The interior lights are switched on:
1. By unlocking the doors.
2. By locking the doors.
The lights continue to be lit for approx. 20 seconds
The interior lights are switched off(doors closed):
1. When the ignition is switched on.
2. When the doors are locked."
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM
dombeau
Instructor

see new topic

Last edited by dombeau; 03-08-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: posted a new topic