Sponsored by:

Price on a 1997 993TT with about 30K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you offer the guy $55k, meet in the middle and end up buying it for $58 or so. Good deal for both buyer and seller.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the inputs!

Thanks for the replies. I understands car are never a good investment but I really don't want to be losing my shorts on a car. I am currently in a '96 C4S and wanted to go to something with a little more power while staying with the 993 (wide body style). I am hoping that this car IS NOT WORTH ONLY $50K in a year! :-)

Another thing, I am in a little mid-life crisis as I want to try something new and nice. This period is limited as our kids are still small enough to fit in the back!

Well, I am going to proceed with a PPI and see how good the car is. The car is not local, so it takes a little bit of coordination.

Thanks again for your responses.

Last edited by speedy88; 06-25-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I think some of you are in utter denial of what's really happening with the economy. If the owner of the car understands what's actually coming down the pike, he would take a cash offer in hand rather than hold out for a few thousand more in the future. Hell, inflation alone would make $50k today better than $60k in a year. (I'm talking about real inflation, not the crap the government publishes).
We're STILL doomed?!
Dang.
I'm getting that shack in Montana ready...

Back on topic, unless this guy is in trouble you won't get this car for $50K.
I'd guess high 50s might get it done unless a PPI uncovers issues that negotiate price downward.

My .02
Which will apparently be worth .01 next year.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

:-)
Originally Posted by MarkD
We're STILL doomed?!
Dang.

Back on topic, unless this guy is in trouble you won't get this car for $50K.
I'd guess high 50s might get it done unless a PPI uncovers issues that negotiate price downward.

My .02
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, coming from someone shopping the market hard, I have to strongly disagree with the "$50k" crew on this thread. Most of the people with pristine 993s arent hurting so bad that they have to give their cars away. Most of the ones I have spoken with arent moving much off their asking prices, sometimes a little bit, but not a lot. I think that there is an over reaction to this economy.... everyone thinks that there are huge deals laying around. On used Mercedes AMG cars or other mass produced huge margin newer vehicles, sure...maybe. But on desireable air cooled Porsches I am not seeing it. If someone wants to give me a great deal because they are hurting in this economy, great...PM me!

$50k for a 97tt w/30k miles. Assuming the car is perfect you have got to be kidding me...
Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 AM
speedy88
Banned

I went with the PPI. Everything looks good, just a couple of small items to address:
oil pan cover
a/c condensor fan
30K service needs to be done

I am asking the price include the service. We will see...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 AM
JStuart
Instructor

Red96...Did you get yours sold? Saw it on CL and thought your price was very reasonable...if not a little low...BUT I'm biased

Jay
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 AM
speedy88
Banned

Not yet Jay. I got a lot of interested buyers, but no firm commitments yet. After owning serval high HP cars (BMW E46 M3 S3-R, E39 M5 and MB E55 SC, I am looking forward to a 993TT!

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:40 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

I tend to think a good deal is one where both the buyer and seller are unhappy.

Seller sells it for less than he's asking and buyer buy's it for more than he was willing to pay. In this example, and as someone noted above, I'd say offer $55k and walk away with it at $58 or $59k. Good deal for both considering the present economic crisis.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
We're STILL doomed?!
Dang.

My .02
Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT offer $50,000 for this car. As someone who has spent my life in the business I can tell you that due to the economy nice pre-owned cars of ANY make are hard to come across right now. Sounds silly I realize. People who would be buying new cars are keeping their current ones which means the steady flow of nice pre-owned Imports I used to see has gotten VERY thin. Every day we have people who are misinformed coming in and making offers that are about 30%-40% off of an already competitive price, and becomes insulted when we kindly explain that it simply cannot be done, usually they have a parting comment about "In this economy......." My point here is that NO dealer has the kind of markup they once did in any kind of car. A nice vehicle weather its a Chevy Pickup or Toyota Camry and ESPECIALLY one of the finest automobiles ever produced (The 993 Turbo) will still command a premium in this market. I think a 57K starting point will give you a bit more credibility and you will not offend or come away offended. No matter how that dealer got ownership of this car in question, and we don't know the specifics ( weather it was traded for a new one, purchased at auction where these cars in proper spec still sell for quite a bit of money.) I can assure you they had to put a lot of money in it if they have aquired it within the last 6 months. If you want to steal a car, go buy a brand new one. If you want a wonderful car that will always be desirable, the choice is simple. Besides, have they really built anything better to drive since? I don't happen to think so. By the way what color combo is this car?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:06 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993

Keep in mind not everyone is hurting in this economy.

Your more likely to get this type of response from the owner.
If you "low ball" someone it doesn't have to be an insult -- acknowledge the offer is far below asking but you can't spend more, and you understand if the owner wants to wait -- but you have the cash if he wants to sell lower.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

+1, That always helps. Being a ***** and going on about the economy will get you nowhere on a pre-owned anything these days.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say just pay the $62k and be done with it. If they threw in the service, an added bonus.

All the time vested in finding the right car and to loose it over a few thousand dollars seems senseless. 10 hours of research and time.....add another 10 hours of research and time if someone snags it up and you have to find another car--there goes $2000 of person time. I consider time $100 per hour, which is a low figure. Add the PPI's and there is another $600. So the $62k car just became $59,400. Now go you find same car for $59,400.

In all my life, I never wasted 1 minute with a tire kicker or low baller in anything I have sold. I have used the phrase "Dont waste my F%$%ing time and dont bother calling back" on a few occassions.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I say just pay the $62k and be done with it. If they threw in the service, an added bonus.

All the time vested in finding the right car and to loose it over a few thousand dollars seems senseless. 10 hours of research and time.....add another 10 hours of research and time if someone snags it up and you have to find another car--there goes $2000 of person time. I consider time $100 per hour, which is a low figure. Add the PPI's and there is another $600. So the $62k car just became $59,400. Now go you find same car for $59,400.

In all my life, I never wasted 1 minute with a tire kicker or low baller in anything I have sold. I have used the phrase "Dont waste my F%$%ing time and dont bother calling back" on a few occassions.
Agree you shouldn't waste someone's time, you should tell them in advance before looking at the car if it is priced well above your range, and if the owner won't consider lower offers, don't look at it. That way no one's time is wasted.

Quick Reply: Price on a 1997 993TT with about 30K miles