Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Xenon/HID upgrade

I remember this was a fairly active topic.
Just came across these while surfing Gert's website.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p061.htm

No affiliation, yadayada...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 AM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using www.sharphid.com for the most recent cars. No problems to date.....
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm an OEM kind of guy, I just installed the OEM Litronics kit in my wife's Targa.
(yes, I know, $2100...)

I just posted it since it does mention in Gert's ad that the slim ballasts should fit the headlights.
I remember there were some that didn't fit as well as others.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p061.htm

No affiliation, yadayada...
Which ever one you get make sure the ballast are the micro(small) ones, they'll then fit directly in the headlamp units otherwise you have to find mount points somewhere on the inner wing.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Uber 911
Which ever one you get make sure the ballast are the micro(small) ones, they'll then fit directly in the headlamp units otherwise you have to find mount points somewhere on the inner wing.
+1 I got a set for my 964 from here http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_hilo.html . Same company I got HID for my sportbike. No affiliation, yadayada, blah blah blah...

993 setup, because of how the lights come out, is a lot cleaner than on the 964. The thin ballast allows you to install it completely inside the light housing.

The ballast is very thin, so we were able to put it right next to the housing...

Routed the wires using existing holes... stock grommets used

Grommet still not in place...

My oh My that is a lot of wires... but everything had a plug... the only thing we had to do was to make one of the harness longer... nothing some wire, soldering gun, and heat shrink could not fix... sorry, no photos of that...

Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 437 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the post/writeup Jaime. I bought a set of these the other day from Gert. I figured if it doesnt work out well, no big deal $80 spent thats all. I rarely drive the 993 at night anyway except if I'm coming back from NYC where I leave late in the evening and once in VT I'm going 125+mph (no staties on the highway after 12:00AM) so the Xenons are helpful.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Wow! Thanks for the post/writeup Jaime. I bought a set of these the other day from Gert. I figured if it doesnt work out well, no big deal $80 spent thats all. I rarely drive the 993 at night anyway except if I'm coming back from NYC where I leave late in the evening and once in VT I'm going 125+mph (no staties on the highway after 12:00AM) so the Xenons are helpful.
Glad I could help.

Just make sure you take the time to aim them correctly. You don't want to blind the oncoming traffic...

The ones I got were a little bit more because they had Hi/Low capabilities. Or you can go with the single units.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Thanks!

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I'm wondering how these compare to the retro-solutions kit, have you had a chance to do the install yet?

Gert's: Cheaper, 35w, plug n' play, support from Gert!

Retro-Solutions: +$50/kit, 55w, some minor mods required for installation (but I have detailed PM's from a member here that should enable even me to get it done if I decide to go that route.)

I'm thinking that even if there is a difference between the kits (35w VS 55w) that the 35w kit would be a significant (and sufficient) upgrade over the OEM lamps.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Thanks!

I'm wondering how these compare to the retro-solutions kit, have you had a chance to do the install yet?

Gert's: Cheaper, 35w, plug n' play, support from Gert!

Retro-Solutions: +$50/kit, 55w, some minor mods required for installation (but I have detailed PM's from a member here that should enable even me to get it done if I decide to go that route.)

I'm thinking that even if there is a difference between the kits (35w VS 55w) that the 35w kit would be a significant (and sufficient) upgrade over the OEM lamps.
I just got them delivered today along with a handful of RS bits. The RS bits and pieces will go on first. Perhaps I'll get to the headlights next week. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Xenon/HID upgrade