Sponsored by:

Euro RS Tie Rods for 95 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Euro RS Tie Rods for 95 993

Shop says tie rods are shot and need to be replaced (guess 15 years is not too bad). Car has been lowered to RS height, has PSS9s and RS sway bars. Noticed at Pelican Parts, they sell "RS Euro" tie rods. Does anyone know if these will work on my car? What's the difference from stock (pictures look very similar)? Anything to be gained or lost by using them as opposed to stock? Pelican guy said he "thought" they would work, were about 5mm lower and would probably result in better geometry with a lowered car. He didn't sound very confident in his conclusion. So, I thought I'd seek the advice of the true experts! Thanks in advance for your advice.

Greg
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure they work with standard uprights. Search for any posts by Bill Verburg on this.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if they work with the standard uprights either. The RS tierods have less of an angle at the head to match up with the EVO uprights and such. I have the tie rods in my car, but I also have the uprights; this was to help with geometry since my car is wee bit lower than stock Bill V or Steve W should be able to chime in (Steve helped me with my setup).
Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Steve Weiner...

has a set up...1/2 RS and 1/2 stock....as I understand it....http://www.rennsportsystems.com/
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Shop says tie rods are shot and need to be replaced (guess 15 years is not too bad). Car has been lowered to RS height, has PSS9s and RS sway bars. Noticed at Pelican Parts, they sell "RS Euro" tie rods. Does anyone know if these will work on my car? What's the difference from stock (pictures look very similar)? Anything to be gained or lost by using them as opposed to stock? Pelican guy said he "thought" they would work, were about 5mm lower and would probably result in better geometry with a lowered car. He didn't sound very confident in his conclusion. So, I thought I'd seek the advice of the true experts! Thanks in advance for your advice.

Greg
The std 993 uprights have a long arm that correctly matches to the stock outer tie rods

the RS uprights have a short arm that correctly matches the RS outer tie rods.

the std outer tie rod end is angled at ~45*, the RS outer tie rod end is angled ~90*

Since the std & RS outer tie rods have different shapes and the std and RS uprights have different steering arm attachments they should not be swapped w/o also swapping the matching uprights

There are pics here and on Pelican.

lastly the Rs outer can be used w/ the stock inner, the RS inner or the GT2 Evo/RSR inner
Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Just trying to suck you into the vortex....

I'd contact Viper Bob about a set of EVO uprights and RS tie rods...now that would be a sweet combination...bye, bye bump steer!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. Just bought stock tie rods... got a DE this weekend and didn't have time to figure out other possibilities. I guess I'll just have to wait another 15 years for these to wear out and get the optimum replacement! Seriously, I do appreciate your advice. I'm learning a lot.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just went through this, i did the search here and was more confused by so many different opinions on this subject.... when in doubt i call the the gentleman who is in the know and offers a lot of people here his unselfish expertise and knowledge, "Steve Weiner". i copy and pasted his reply. unless i wasnt clear and Steve misunderstood me, but here is his reply, hope this helps.

Hi Greg,

No worries,....

RS tie rods ($550/pr) work just fine with your current suspension setup
and will improve steering response.

Let me know if I can source anything for you.

> Hello Steve, hope all is well!! I always hate to bother you, but
> trying to sift thru some of the opinions or guestimates
> on the renn can be a challenge at times. I like to always consult with “
> THE EXPERT ” when its not black and white . I am installing a new rack
> and while I am there I might as well do the tie-rod thing. I have a 95
> 993 with the h-d b’s and h&r sport springs close to rs spec height.
> Will the oem “ rs “ tie rod assy’s work with my factory uprights?
>
> Thanks as always!! greg
Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by faster
i just went through this, i did the search here and was more confused by so many different opinions on this subject.... when in doubt i call the the gentleman who is in the know and offers a lot of people here his unselfish expertise and knowledge, "Steve Weiner". i copy and pasted his reply. unless i wasnt clear and Steve misunderstood me, but here is his reply, hope this helps.

Hi Greg,

No worries,....

RS tie rods ($550/pr) work just fine with your current suspension setup
and will improve steering response.

Let me know if I can source anything for you.

> Hello Steve, hope all is well!! I always hate to bother you, but
> trying to sift thru some of the opinions or guestimates
> on the renn can be a challenge at times. I like to always consult with “
> THE EXPERT ” when its not black and white . I am installing a new rack
> and while I am there I might as well do the tie-rod thing. I have a 95
> 993 with the h-d b’s and h&r sport springs close to rs spec height.
> Will the oem “ rs “ tie rod assy’s work with my factory uprights?
>
> Thanks as always!! greg
Since I'm suree that Steve knows the difference, he must have been confused by some m sinformation
993 outer/inner tierod top, 993RS outer/GT2 inner bottom

Chris Walrod posted this one, top 993 outer/inner, bottom 993RS outer inner

the inners can be freely interchanged the outers not
the reason the outers have a different geometry is that the uprights are different
left 993RS, right 993 the difference is in quadrant 3, RS has a short arm, 993 a long
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. Just bought stock tie rods... got a DE this weekend and didn't have time to figure out other possibilities. I guess I'll just have to wait another 15 years for these to wear out and get the optimum replacement! Seriously, I do appreciate your advice. I'm learning a lot.
One can drill & pin the stock inner tie rod to substantively enhance steering response ... all for a whopping $5: no, this is not a DOT approved mod, and it may offend purists; however, I am confident of its mechanical integrity, and it works for me. The jig to do this DIY mod is currently out on loan to another 'Lister ...
Old 06-20-2009, 01:02 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

hi bill, hmmmm, not sure what misinformation you are referring too, i copy and pasted the exact email to and from him that you see?

i already have the new RS tie rod assy's, if they cant be used what does a set of uprights go for?

thx
Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by faster
hi bill, hmmmm, not sure what misinformation you are referring too, i copy and pasted the exact email to and from him that you see?

i already have the new RS tie rod assy's, if they cant be used what does a set of uprights go for?

thx
these are the 993RS parts that go together
993.341.157.81 Wheel carrier /L
993.341.158.81 Wheel carrier /R
993.347.031.81 Tie rod x2
999.053.041.02 wheel bearing x2
993.606.404.00 speed sensor x2

you might be able to reuse the speed sensors but probably not
any of the Porsche discount dealers can get these parts, just depend on where you live, Sunset in Or, Hennessy in Ga, Sunrise in Fla.

the RS tie rods above have harder rubber than base 993 tie rods, the other alternative is the solid racing tierods from a 993 RSR/GT2 Evo, they used to be available thru Prorsche Motorsports but not any more as PMS isn't supporting the oder cars, Gert can supply these as well as the uprights and bearing in a bundled kit.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this. For expediency, I replaced with stock 993 tie rods. While they may not have improved performance as much as euro or rsr units, I noticed a significant difference from the deteriorated existing stock units.

Quick Reply: Euro RS Tie Rods for 95 993