Sponsored by:

CE light and secondary air injector valve problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CE light and secondary air injector valve problems

I am just wondering if anyone can add to the understanding that I have so far with respect to the inherent problems associated with the 993 NA engines. I continue to have the CE light remaining on the instrument panel despite having my mechanic install a new lower SI valve according to our last computer diagnosis. I purchased my car (my first porsche with 60k miles last November.) I do really love driving the car and the total pampering that it receives is a testament to that. I have been disappointed to learn of the apparents thousands of dollars needed to be spent to fix valves and some point and that if I don't drive it hard enough carbon build ups will cause other problems. None of this has anything to do with the very costly steering and suspension maintenance also required at some point. I do wonder if I could not have got much more bang for my buck in purchasing a really well designed Japanese sports car. - Glenn
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glenn,

You raise a conundrum that plagues all enthusiasts who own '96-'98 993's. For many, budgeting for a top end to fix the SAI/CEL problem is just another expense on the way to driving nirvana. For others, it's a fatal flaw inexcusable for such a supposedly bullet-proof car.

Ultimately, it's your decision alone whether the expenses are worth the driving experience.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
I have been disappointed to learn of the apparents thousands of dollars needed to be spent to fix valves and some point and that if I don't drive it hard enough carbon build ups will cause other problems.
Were you aware of these issues before you bought the car?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just reading about these issues in Zimmermann's book 'The Used 911 Story'. It is a bit of concern especially as the car I'm considering has probably done a lot of stop start driving. Would a PPI by a competent tech pick up a potential carbon build up problem. The top end was rebuilt less than 7K miles ago in 2007 so would this have been seen during the tear down and then remedied at that time or is it elsewhere in the engine.
I realize that on forums like this for every car with an 'issue' there are 10 or 20 that are running completely normally. So what are the biggest, most frequently encountered problems with 993's that have 60-80K miles?

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 06-16-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
I do wonder if I could not have got much more bang for my buck in purchasing a really well designed Japanese sports car. - Glenn
If all you wanted was "a car" - Then yes.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Would a PPI by a competent tech pic up a potential carbon build up problem. The top end was rebuilt less than 7K miles ago in 2007 so would this have been seen during the tear down and then remedied at that time or is it elsewhere in the engine.
Yes and yes.

A properly rebuilt OBDII V-ram engine is fairly desirable, regardless of chassis mileage.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are ways to remedy the problem usually without a complete engine overhaul. It's covered in http://p-car.com/diy/sai/1/sai.htm

This remedy solved the problem on 5 993s I've tried it on.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Flying low.... Thanks the link. This is most informative.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Jason: Thanks very much for your response. I will take plenty of time coming to a decision as to whether or not I will sell the car.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Just because the SAI check valve was replaced doesnt mean the problem is fixed. In fact, the valve, when failed, typically wont CEL on you. Its the resistance in the SAI passages that pose the problem. This, of course, assuming the vacuum line is connected and the solenoid / pump is working properly.

Two options, one is two flush the ports out or take the heads off and clean em out. Flushing the ports offer mixed success rates, really depending upon how badly they are blocked. This is since one really cannot get to all of the port length with chemical and wire (guitar strings seem to be popular).

Any chance of posting the trouble codes?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

advice well taken, Chris I will have to get back to my mechanic for a fresh reading. That may take a couple of days but once completed I could certainly post the readings. Thanks for the tip. - Glenn
Old 06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you having emissions check issues? Or is this just an annoyance to you? The actual problem of plugged SAI ports started before the 96 MY. It really has no bearing on the performance of the car. If its simply an annoyance, clear the code (turns the light off) and never allow the car to idle for the first 2 minutes after start up (when the SAI pump runs) that should fool the system into thinking everything is ok. If it is an emissions check issue then you will need to follow our newest Dad's advise and remove the heads or chase the ports with a bass string (IIFC) to clear the ports and hopefully clear the problem.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Chris, so far this is just an annoyance. The vehicle passed emissions testing ok when it was purchased last November. I have done 1,ooo miles since then of mostly leisurely cruising.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there's no issue then with clearing the codes and having them not be "ready" then I would do that and again, never let it idle. The light will go out and you should be fine. Otherwise you'll want to fix it the correct way to clear the problem, but there too is no guarantee it doesn't come back some day. You bought a car with an inherent issue. But they are great cars and a lot of fun.

Now go enjoy driving it
Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993inNC
and never allow the car to idle for the first 2 minutes after start up (when the SAI pump runs) that should fool the system into thinking everything is ok.
Really? That's a great solution that I have never heard before, thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: CE light and secondary air injector valve problems