Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What is the 993 like to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

There's nothing I could really add here. It's all been said and I agree with pretty much everything above. I've never seen that newer 997 video of the kid in school and then going to the Porsche dealer to look at a car. I LOVE that one. The "Are you listening" video still sends shivers up my spine.

The only thing that came to mind when I saw your thread title "What is the 993 like to drive?" was...

"Hooba lacka Hooba lacka Boom boom vava ram".

I don't know what it means, and I've never exclaimed these words before, but I guess that's what driving a 993 is to me.

Cheers. I hope you get one, someday. You'll be SO glad you did, and the price will be cheap years from now. Heck, they're already cheap for higher mile examples (under $20K here in the USA).

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 06-13-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Cheers. I hope you get one, someday. You'll be SO glad you did, and the price will be cheap years from now. Heck, they're already cheap for higher mile examples (under $20K here in the USA).
I can hardly wait! I just hope that there will still be some great examples around - and that they drive just as well as they do now!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

What a great thread this turned out to be!

I am picking up my '95 c4 coupe on the 22nd - this will be my first Porsche and reading through this thread has increased my excitement and anticipation to new heights (and they were pretty high before).

I look forward to being able to add to this discussion with some experience behind the wheel. My first drive will be from Philadelphia to Toronto - 8-9 hours drive. I think I'll have an idea of what its all about before I get home.

Cheers,
Old 06-14-2009, 01:49 AM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The car still turns heads, even when it isn't moving... Also, there aren't many things more enjoyable than getting some good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear action north of 5000 RPM on twisty roads. It just doesn't get much better than that... Not many cars feel better the faster it goes... The 993 does....
Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was trying to think of what I could really add to this thread that would be an original thought. It's tough, so much has been written here, and a lot of what I appreciate about my car I've learned here. If this place didn't exist I doubt I would have bought a Porsche.

I saw two p-cars today traveling in the opposite direction as I drove, one a 997 cab and the other a 993 coupe. The 997 driver waved, the 993 driver flashed his lights and waved, and I waved back at both.

Then it occurred to me; In the past few months that I've owned my car I have not seen another car on the road that I'd rather be driving in place of my 993. Not a single one.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
What a great thread this turned out to be!

I am picking up my '95 c4 coupe on the 22nd - this will be my first Porsche and reading through this thread has increased my excitement and anticipation to new heights (and they were pretty high before).

I look forward to being able to add to this discussion with some experience behind the wheel. My first drive will be from Philadelphia to Toronto - 8-9 hours drive. I think I'll have an idea of what its all about before I get home.

Cheers,
I'm enjoying the thread myself and I don't even have a 993. I can't imagine the excitement and anticipation you must have! I wish I was in your position! Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy every minute!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Steven: I hope you will be able to come out to our GTGs in the GTA on a Saturday morning after you get your car. Congratulations on your purchase. I just got back from my Sunday morning sunrise drive and it was just lovely out there with the cool morning air whistling through the small openings in the windows. I did meet up with a new BMW 740il on the road who was obviously anxious to race but I wasn't going to have anything of that stupidity. I saw plenty of nice smiles from the drivers of cars that I passed. After returning home I checked the performance specs on the BMW 740 and the specs on my 11 year old car are faster than this top end luxury car. Wow! What a great day for a drive. I hope you guys get to enjoy some open road today, too. Happy motoring. Glenn
Old 06-14-2009, 03:54 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 8.5 days and counting...

Originally Posted by alcanada
I think for a lot of us who own a 993, we are not in it for the quickest 0-60 or the highest g around corners, but rather, 1/3 of the pleasure is knowing the history, another third on the looks and the last third on performance. At least that's how I feel.
This describes me exactly - I saw a Porsche parked on the street when I was 12 and that was it - I have coveted one ever since. When I dropped by my friends place and he showed me his 1987 wide body in the garage, I realized that you can actually buy one - you don't have to just dream about it.

Originally Posted by Autarky
I can't imagine the excitement and anticipation you must have! I wish I was in your position! Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy every minute!
Thanks - you should start looking around in Australia. You may just find an opportunity that you didn't think existed.

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
Hey Steven: I hope you will be able to come out to our GTGs in the GTA on a Saturday morning after you get your car. Congratulations on your purchase. Happy motoring. Glenn
I would love to come out to the meet-up. I may have to wait a bit before I head out on Saturday since this whole buying a Porsche thing has been a bit of a sensitive subject around the home. For some reason my wife thinks that the car will become my sole interest and I will forget that I have a family ;-) I may need to give it a month before I suggest heading out on Saturday for half a day.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts
Default To add to everything that was said....

So yesterday, after a month I decide to take the old girl out for a spin. After driving for a bit, I decide to stop by mikie dees for a coke. As I pull into the parking spot, an MC cop stop across from me stopped and said ' sir, do you want to trade cars for the night'..lol...so we chatted for a min then he left. Less that 2 mins later, no lie, this couple pulled in and started talking, how nice car is etc. My 7 year old then looked at me and said, ' dad I can't wait till I'm 16 to get this car'

Be prepared to attract a lot of attention...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a 911R model by Schuco when I was about eleven and swore I would own the real thing. I've had my latest one for nine years and I never feel like changing it. The only reason I changed my old one was when I emigrated and it was too expensive to transport/ convert it. That's the kind of cars they are - you develop a bond with them and genuinely can take pleasure over ownership. I can't think of many modern cars that you can say that about. Also, very few cars sound as good as a 911 once you get some decent silencers on them.

Be patient, save your money and get one. :-)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<--- Sits down in the "I was the kid in that video" section of the room (with everyone else).

Course, at the time, the car was black, the rear fenders were something out of a Mad Max movie, you could have a picnic on the rear wing and no one needed power steering.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first drive in a 993 was in mine, after I bought it. I just assumed I would like it, and did. That drive was my delivery drive, from Salt Lake City to home, and was a lot of fun.

I took the car out yesterday, after not having driven it for a few weeks, and was thinking about my impressions of the car, for this thread.

I think the main one for me is the engine and fan noise coming from the rear; a constant, delightful presence. I find I rarely use the radio/CD player.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had a number of cars over the years and always find that I'm looking around for my next car about a year after I acquire my present one. I think I've kept a few cars for three years, but that was about the longest I could bear to hold onto them. I've now had my 993 for about 5.5 years and not once have I ever entertained the thought of selling it. Despite being 14 years old, people still mistake it for a new car. Sure, I've done alot of mods to it over the years to keep it feeling new and exciting, but I'd still love it even if it was stock. This really is one car I plan on having forever.

Quick Reply: What is the 993 like to drive?