Sponsored by:

OT: Insurance again--AIG "21st Century"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Insurance again--AIG "21st Century"

Anyone else see their AIG policy (AKA 21st Century) rates rise? My rates just went up $170 for no reason.

A buddy of mine works for esurance.com and I figured I would give that a shot and the rates came in about $270 less (6 months, $540 1 year--Explorer/Navigator) than 21st Century--aka AIG.

So I called 21st Century and had them try to explain why a person with spotless credit, spotless driving record, and a long standing customer with AIG has their rates raise over night $170 over 6 months. Song, dance, and bull**** over 1 minute and I cut them short. I didnt ask for BS, I asked for an answer. Pretty clear in my question.

But anyway, for a person who has never been in an accident in their life, only filed 1 insurance claim (car busted into at the airport), zero speeding tickets or moving voilations on my record, and why my rates raise 20% overnight is unacceptable. Especially from a company who my tax dollars is helping out.

Same everything with esurance.com is $270 less per 6 months through esurance.com Dont know who that carrier is because I havent pulled the trigger. Plus I work from home for Gods sake!! I should get a discount for driving 1/2 as much as the normal person.

Im not promoting esurance.com but AIG/21st Century must think Im stupid if my tax dollars just bailed their *** out and then they raised my rates $340 per year for no reason. I'd rather waste my money on Stage III's!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome to corporate America, and the state of our society.

Have a nice day.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks for playing. Come again. Bring a gun.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far my car insurance has always gone down. I am a bit worried now, since I found out yesterday my health insurance just doubled per month.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I dropped AIG several years ago when the did the same thing to me. I also had a clean record like you.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

I dropped AIG also for the same reason. I called Geico and got better coverage for half the price.
If you don't drive more than 5K/year look at specialty insurance companies that would replace you car at the agreed price you say it's worth.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

21st century pulled that crap on me a few years ago, and I dropped them like a hot potato.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Im dropping them--no big deal but I always get a kick out of explaining why. Its pretty clear: Their in the business of FU*KING* and Im not in the business of being FU*KED.

Everything was fine until 21st Century stepped in--which is just a cover up to hide the AIG shame.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Since I only drive my car about 4k miles per year, I got a Hagerty policy with an agreed upon value of $35k for less than I was paying with Travelers.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree about the AIG price increase but remember insurance is not just about price. There are a couple of mass insurers out there that are cheap but also have horrendous reputations when it comes to claims. You hope you'll never have a claim but if you do the money you saved on premiums could be quickly lost in hassles over value and quality of repairs. Look for an agreed value policy (not just stated value) and check with your state insurance commissioner about complaints before you pull the trigger.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

21st/AIG whoever they are now–They are complete idiots.
I forgot to mail a payment in and was without insurance for four days until I realized.
I called them up and they wouldn't reinstate the policy. They used to be able to reinstate a lapsed policy for up to 30 days, but AIG came in and changed that to 24 hours.
He told me I would have to sign up for a new policy.
So I did.
Of course I had to call the new accounts department.
I get transferred over there and I discover that because it is a new account they are unable to give me the discount I was getting before for being a longtime customer.
I have been with the company for 17 years.
I asked the representative why he cant just give me the discount and he stated that his department, being "new accounts", is not "authorized" so I go around and around with a few managers, and then back to the rep and he works up the new quote and it turns out to be $600 less per year than my old policy that had the discount.
I told him that the company has no freakin' idea what is doing, no wonder it needs a bailout.

That was four months ago
I set up automatic payments to avoid the problem I had forgetting to mail the check. Last week I received a letter saying that my policy had lapsed.
I call to see wtf was going on and the agent says in a tone of voice like I was stupid "that policy was lapsed 4 months ago"
It seems the notice was from the old account.
I told him to look up to see if I have another policy–he found it and said , "oh it's current, that letter must have been an error"
They are clueless
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I agree about the AIG price increase but remember insurance is not just about price. There are a couple of mass insurers out there that are cheap but also have horrendous reputations when it comes to claims. You hope you'll never have a claim but if you do the money you saved on premiums could be quickly lost in hassles over value and quality of repairs. Look for an agreed value policy (not just stated value) and check with your state insurance commissioner about complaints before you pull the trigger.
Definately agree with your statement and I wouldnt go with any low ball quote. Im by no means a shop for the cheapest price type of person.

The Hartford, who has been in business for 200 years, provided the best rates equal to whatever one else was providing. They are an A rated insurance company with a good reputation. $550 for a 6 month policy on my Navigator and C4--100/300, comp/collision, towing, car rental, 250 and 500 deductible. Compared to $870 with 21st Century, which included the rate increase for the identical coverage. A 37% premium for 21st Century over The Hartford. A struggling insurance company that my tax dollars is being used to save who is jacking my rates up 20% with no justifacation. On top of that, their premiums are 37% higher than a stable, reputable insurance company thats been around for 200 years. In conclusion, I cant justify a 37% premium by staying with
21st Century.

FOR SALE: 1995 C4 993 at 37% over valued. $40K FIRM No additional offers will be accepted. Serious inquiries only.

I need to log another call to Hagerty for my C4 if The Hartford wont it insure it for fair market value. My Bronco is through Hagerty.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
uncle buck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why one needs to shop their entire package every few years. The poor sap on the phone has no idea why your rate went up as rates are set in rating territories which are roughly analagous to ZIP codes. It's experience based for the territory so even though you may have had no claims, the territory runs at a loss so you pay. Other companies may not have had the same claim experience - and their territory may not be identical to AIG's - so their rates don't rise. All rate increases are approved by the State Insurance Dept so that's the better place to complain.

Last edited by uncle buck; 06-11-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uncle buck
That's why one needs to shop their entire package every few years. The poor sap on the phone has no idea why your rate went up as rates are set in rating territories which are roughly analagous to ZIP codes. It's experience based for the territory so even though you may have had no claims, the territory runs at a loss so you pay. Other companies may not have had the same claim experience - and their territory may not be identical to AIG's - so their rates don't rise. All rate increases are approved by the State Insurance Dept so that's the better place to complain.
I have had the "call your State Insurance Dept" song and dance discussion 4 years ago when Safeco pulled the same BS. I dont complain to the system, I figure out a way around it. Thats how I roll.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Careful with insuring Porsches with mass market, price-oriented companies such as Geico. I am familar with a total loss on another person's 993 and Geico was very resistant to a fair market value settlement. Many weeks of a lawyer's attention required to get Geico to a fair value settlement amount. These cars deserve quality insurance for repairs and settlements.

Quick Reply: OT: Insurance again--AIG "21st Century"