Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What items increase the value in insurance eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What items increase the value in insurance eyes?

First off, can anyone verify one way or the other if midnight blue metallic was an added cost item in 1995? I had heard that it was in 95, but not later, but haven't been able to confirm.

I put in a new clutch 35k miles ago, upgraded to single mass (but not LW) flywheel at the same time, had brand new (<500 mi) tires, rear rotors, new rear bearing, rear axles maybe 3000 mi.

JIC/Cross suspension, steering rack brace, Euro/Turbo S nose; partial clear bra; Vertex Xenon headlight upgrade; Wings Pedal (That I freakin forgot to take off before they took it away...); RS fork / cactus rod combo shift kit;Top replaced 2001 before I owned it.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the eyes of an insurance company? nothing.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

A wide body from the factory increases insurance valune. A turbo from the factory increases insurance value. Nothing else does, generally speaking.

If your car's been stolen or wrecked to the point of total loss, you can argue your case with the insurance company after they give you a settlement amount. More often than not, you will not be able to get much on top of what's been offered.

That holds true for the general insurance companies such as Geico, State Farm, etc. Now, you could insure the car for a certain value with some of the boutique insurers such as Sneed, and that's the amount that will be paid to you if something happens to the car.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your premium would have been assessed based on the replacement value of a stock '95 993 cab. Unusual items /extras would probably have needed a rider if you wanted those covered too.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

I'm not sure about the extra cost, but in the shop manual
(p6-02) "midnight blue - metallic", #37W and #37C, is
listed as a 1995 "Special Color". It is also listed as a
"Special Color" for 1996 model year on p6-03.

tim
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the eyes of an insurance company? nothing
I'm afraid that's the correct answer. Insurance companies assign pretty much zero value to mods because most of the market does too. The only real way around it is an agreed value policy.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

What you need to do is get the car appraised. Then share that with the insurance, & tell them you want a agreed on policy. Of course this will cost you more, but then if something happens, you get the agreed value no questions asked.

My C4S was appraised for $64k when I got it 2 years ago, we have a insurance policy on it for $64k. Yes, more then it is "worth" but it's hard to find a super clean Aero kit II C4S with low miles.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
in the eyes of an insurance company? nothing.
Ya, and as already been said, agreed upon policy is the only answer.

You never know how good your insurance is on anything until you try to extract money from the people whose business it is to collect money and not give up money.....
Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Warpig
Pro

I am close to pulling the trigger on a 964 and I recently spoke with my Insurance agent. He found me a standard policy that would only have paid book value, I said umm no I'm considering paying 5K more than that for the car and want to be covered on my cost. He went back and he found me an agreed value policy with AIG for the price I am considering paying for the car. Some companies will do this but you gotta convince them.

Nick

Quick Reply: What items increase the value in insurance eyes?