Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Are hollow spokes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry. I corrected my email address above.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the sale offer but unfortunately I need them for a NB. I bought some HTZ-IIIs so I am not really looking for tires.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tropheus
I got my hollows for my 4s from a 996 TT S. From the color they are somewhat darker. I paid $1200 with good Michelin tires.

I already drove 2000 miles through all New England states with them and have not got one bent.

Very reliable and good / appropriate looking for the car.

Jack
I like the the looks of the 996 wheels on a 993 much better than my twists (solid spoke). Looks good.
chuck
Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

You will never, ever be able to tell the difference between a hollow spoke and solid spoke twist wheel, especially not on a street car.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How in the world can you get crud inside of a hollow spoke if there is no opening???
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
How in the world can you get crud inside of a hollow spoke if there is no opening???
Canyon was referring to contaminants getting into the wheel during refinishing, tire mounting, etc.

Originally Posted by Canyon56
BUT, here's something that happened to me that you should watch out for: if the wheels have been refinished (or will be) BE SURE to have them done by somebody who is very good at it. Or, if they are used and the history is unknown, be sure to have them checked out carefully.

What can happen is that during refinishing, crud can get into a spoke thru the valve (they are hollow, after all) if the person's not careful. Or it can happen if there's been moisture and/or dirt introduced into a spoke during tire replacement, etc.. Any dirt or other material will mix with moisture and spin itself onto a spoke side and throw off your wheel balance permanently. Apparently it gets stuck/fused to a spoke side as the wheel spins.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
pewter82
Drifting

I wonder if there is any way to tell if you have any crub in them? I have a newly purchased refinished set without valve stems sitting here, but no way to tell if there has been anything inside....
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pewter82
I wonder if there is any way to tell if you have any crub in them? I have a newly purchased refinished set without valve stems sitting here, but no way to tell if there has been anything inside....
How about this approach? Take the valve stem out, hold the wheel so that the valve opening is at the bottom/lowest point and shake the wheel and see if anything come out? It's pretty hard to defy gravity. I can't imagine that any significant amount of blasting material could enter the hollowed out section of the wheel thru the valve opening. I guess you could fill them up, but it would need to be an intended effort.

Bob-
Old 06-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
I bought a second set of tt rims yesterday and one rear rim was slightly bent on the inside. My tire supplier will submit it to a company that fixes the damage before I install r-tires on rims.
The cost to repair the rim will be 650 SEK equivalent to 82 USD (today's
exchange rate). VAT not included. VAT in Sweden is 25%.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche claims there to be a 1.6 to 1.7 weight factor for unsprung weight. Making the total weight savings for the Hollow spoke wheels equivalent to about 40 lbs.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
How about this approach? Take the valve stem out, hold the wheel so that the valve opening is at the bottom/lowest point and shake the wheel and see if anything come out? It's pretty hard to defy gravity. I can't imagine that any significant amount of blasting material could enter the hollowed out section of the wheel thru the valve opening. I guess you could fill them up, but it would need to be an intended effort.

Bob-
You would think, but it happened to me. The place I got them from (very reputable) says it's rare but they've seen it before. Apparently any moisture added makes it stick the spoke wall. Not just refinishing material but any crud (dirt, etc.)

It doesn't take much weight to throw off the balance. Mine was irritating at around 60 mph. It wouldn't balance on the Hunter. After the replacement, all is perfect now.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:17 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Canyon56
You would think, but it happened to me. The place I got them from (very reputable) says it's rare but they've seen it before. Apparently any moisture added makes it stick the spoke wall. Not just refinishing material but any crud (dirt, etc.)

It doesn't take much weight to throw off the balance. Mine was irritating at around 60 mph. It wouldn't balance on the Hunter. After the replacement, all is perfect now.
Hmmm......

This might be a stupid question, but did it balance before refinishing?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Hmmm......

This might be a stupid question, but did it balance before refinishing?
Who knows. I bought them used. Came off a 996TT. Excellent condition, no bends, cracks, etc.. Rears were refinished by Wheel Enhancement. Fronts didn't need it. Front right was the bad one.

WE didn't imply that it was definitely from some prior refinishing, although that's the usual culprit. It can happen if crap/dirt/moisture/whatever gets in there someway somehow somewhere.

Quick Reply: Are hollow spokes worth it?