Sponsored by:

A day cleaning the ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Have you ever used the Trizact 3000 grit system? Just curious because you really seem to be an expert on the matter
I'm trained in wet sanding & buffing. But I've never done "cosmetic" wet power sanding on a car. If I do a car that needs wet sanding, it's done by hand with 3M automotive sand paper. Of course followed up with a good polish.

I have a paint depth meter. Just a few passes with 3000 sand paper by hand removed quite a bit more paint then a rotary with a med pad & med polish.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Guys, don't all jump up to go & get a wet sanding system!!!

Wet sanding is for extreme paint fixing, & then REQUIRES machine polishing after. Machine wet sanding can remove a lot of paint really fast!

In untrained hands, you will remove all your clear coat, or damage it enough to need a paint job. This really is a job for pro's.
Stealth,
I appreciate your concern because I have the same ones. I always do a lot of research before I jump in and part of that, in this case, will most likely be hiring a pro that will allow me to assist and learn the process. Worst case, it will cost me a little extra and I'll appreciate the craftsmanship on a new level. Best case, I'll acquire a new skill.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I'm trained in wet sanding & buffing. But I've never done "cosmetic" wet power sanding on a car. If I do a car that needs wet sanding, it's done by hand with 3M automotive sand paper. Of course followed up with a good polish.

I have a paint depth meter. Just a few passes with 3000 sand paper by hand removed quite a bit more paint then a rotary with a med pad & med polish.
Well a DA (Dual Action) sander as you probably know is superior to the hand method because of the random sanding pattern. With a 1/2" foam pad between the buffer and the sanding disc the pressure from your hand is greatly reduced. Hand method is far more agressive even with 3000 grit paper. This is a 3000 grit sponge type pad not the Wet/Dry paper wrapped on a foam pad. You should borrow a Trizact system if you know of someone that uses it. If one wanted to you could polish the sanding marks out using a Porter Cable buffer although it would take a long time. And the polish we used was very mild almost a glaze. Give it a try. I haven't sanded a car by hand in years. not even nibs. They make a nib spot sander in the same setup. have a good one

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Stealth,
I appreciate your concern because I have the same ones. I always do a lot of research before I jump in and part of that, in this case, will most likely be hiring a pro that will allow me to assist and learn the process. Worst case, it will cost me a little extra and I'll appreciate the craftsmanship on a new level. Best case, I'll acquire a new skill.
It is a skill, & not something you can pick up in a afternoon. be buffing, or sanding. To really learn it, it takes years, & lot of cars. The bad part with a pro is they do it a lot, & make it all look real easy. Not to get to far into it, but pressure & speed have a lot to do with the results.

Most detailers will not wet sand a whole car unless it's really bad, & it takes quite a few hours to do a whole car properly. A high quality pro detail with a total wet sand will be in the $1000+ range just for the exterior.

FWIW, I work part time with a local pro detailer, it's been a few years, & we have never wet sanded a whole car, just parts, that's usually do to a poor respray. Part of that reason is the paint it removes, & the time it takes after to remove all the sanding marks.

I'm not saying wet sanding should not be done, it has it's place, but it's not something that should be done often or with out trying some other less aggressive steps first. The goal is to remove all the marks on the car with the least amount of paint removal.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Great color!!
I heard you used something to restore your Engine grill.
Can you let us in on that?
How well did it work?
Do you have Pictures?

THX!!
I used Dupli-Color's trim paint and sprayed the spoiler. It was very easy taking the spoiler off and eliminating the need to cover the whole car. I just taped off the grill, roughened the surface and sprayed it.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Great job guys! I'll agree with everyone here, Slate Grey is stunning. I've never seen a 993 that colour. The wheels work really well with that colour too. Classy.

BTW, how about some shots of the the two cars together. I think they make a nice pair.
Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Midnight Blue, L39C.

Got more pics Mr. Hummel?
I got your PM and will do. As far as the "nice pair" - not so much. Again, according to Seinfeld, "Not that there is anything wrong with that".

Originally Posted by slider
help me with the wet sand process...do you simply keep the sandpaper wet as you sand with a P-C? I noticed two things:
1) the sanding didn't seem to go right up to body panel edges nor did it look like you sanded the bumpers?
2) why put the tail up on blocks? Less bending over?

thanks mate.
The plan was to put it on blocks and jack stands but found it wasn't too bad to work on it at that level. We just never pulled it back off the blocks once we started.

Originally Posted by curve lover
John-- She looked slick when I saw her in the rain, but YOWZA - practically glows in the dark now. You & Mike make quite the 993 team. I need friends like y'all. I've always liked your wheels, & they continue to compliment slate great.

I can't see any line on your rock guards. Wow.
Personally, I think you're a little humble, saying you're 'not a photographer.' You may not have gone to extreme lengths regarding backgrounds, etc., but better-looking 'casual' shots are rare. Well done.

Again: great job -- to both of you!
Johan,
Thanks. Hopefully next time you are in town we can take the car out for a spin. A lot of work went into making the car what it is now. It looks good. Wheels stay.

The finish on the car was definitely in need of a little more than a buffing. The car had spent part of its life outside and did have acid rain damage. Any sanding and buffing we did removed very little paint. I don't plan on doing the sanding and buffing for a very long time; by that time it will probably be in need of a respray.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68

I got your PM and will do. As far as the "nice pair" - not so much. Again, according to Seinfeld, "Not that there is anything wrong with that".

I think I'm being misunderstood. I rarely if ever watch Seinfeld. I'll have to investigate. I'm thinking of something different, something attractive, something desireable. It was meant to be complimentary.

No matter, I like the results of yours and Mike's work. My 95 has a few light scratches here and there that I'm going to work on. I won't be going to this level as I don't have the skill but we'll see what happens.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish I could remember the episode. My wife and I still enjoy watching that show. We laugh our @$$ off.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insane.... Like to try that on mine, but im too nervous i'd screw it up.

I will also give you my unbiased compliment for having the absolutely most sophisticated color :-)

Quick Reply: A day cleaning the ride