Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A day cleaning the ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That color is fantastic, makes the 993 look like some sort of weapon.

Nice work!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 AM
DougB993S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. sweet paint, nice pics
Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
NightFlyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car looks great! That sure is a nice color too.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

great work you two!! Very nice result!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gentlemen,
Thanks again for the kind remarks. I was out for the day but will try to respond to previous posts later today. As far as what was used on the different parts of the car, Mike would be the one to ask. Mike, you know better on the materials and techniques. I understand but you would give a better explanation - please feel free to add comments.
John
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll answer the questions I can since John said it was OK. I didn't want to hijack his thread.

Originally Posted by JPP
I would love to do this, but I have some concerns because my paint (and clear coat) have seen alot of sun (Vegas for 50K, then So. Cal.). Should I worry about reducing the thickness of the clear coat?
I used the Trizact system with a 3000 grit wet disc. The grit is so fine it is like giving your car a really good scrub. The Trizact application with 3000 grit wet disc doesn't even remove the orange peel from the factory. You are also using a 1/2" sponge pad between the DA and the 3000 grit disc. VERY VERY light sanding application. You saw the results it just cleans the paint really good.

Originally Posted by Cactus
WOW Looks great! That's what the Cactuswagen needs! What kind of slip solution did you use for the stone guards?
We talked last night, but for others wanting to know. I use a heavy solution of carwash soap and water. You apply the soap solution to the sticky side of the stone guard as well as the car. Position the stone guard and squeege out the water and that's it

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Looks great and that paint sure does shine now! What did John use to buff the plastic lighting?

Andy
We removed the lights (plastic lens lights only) mounted the high speed buffer on a table and sanded them with Trizact 3000 grit wet disc on a DA. We buffed them out using a polishing pad an 3M plastic polish.

Originally Posted by einreb92
Exquisite results! That color is really handsome too. Did you polish/seal/wax the shields as well? BTW: why did you remove the rear lighting housing?
The stone guard were polished with Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish. Makes them blend into the finish. Tailights were removed for sanding and polishing

Originally Posted by slider
help me with the wet sand process...do you simply keep the sandpaper wet as you sand with a P-C? I noticed two things:
1) the sanding didn't seem to go right up to body panel edges nor did it look like you sanded the bumpers?
2) why put the tail up on blocks? Less bending over?

thanks mate.
First off the sanding is done with a DA sander not the PC. The reason the sanding did not go up to the edges was to prevent burning them. Doing this system and all the buffing the finish blends. As I said before this is just a good scrubbing on the paint.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Looks great, I love that color.

But, IMHO, it wasn't bad enough to wet sand. A good medium polish would have removed all the swirl marks & removed less paint.

Well you weren't next to the car. Not trying to instigate anything here, but the car's finish was 14 years old and had surface acid rain spots, multiple scratches, dulled clearcoat and so on. John did clay bar the car and it did remove surface contamiments, but a polish didn't bring it to a suitable level. The 3000 grit wet setup is a touch stronger than an agressive claybar. As stated earlier this is like giving the paint a good cleanse. The sanding marks left behind are buffed out using a fine cut compound with a sponge buffing pad, that's how light it is. This system won't even flatten out the factory orange peel. The car did need it IMHO and the results are far superior to a medium polish application. We tried that first

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stunning results. One day I will get mine done...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
I used the Trizact system with a 3000 grit wet disc. The grit is so fine it is like giving your car a really good scrub. The Trizact application with 3000 grit wet disc doesn't even remove the orange peel from the factory. You are also using a 1/2" sponge pad between the DA and the 3000 grit disc. VERY VERY light sanding application. You saw the results it just cleans the paint really good.
Mike
O.k. I even had to look up DA to figure out what kind of sander you used, but I'm trackin' now. When you say 'Trizact System' are you just referring to using their (3-M's) 3000 grit sanding disc, or does that describe the entire 'process' of sanding and buffing/polishing?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by JPP
O.k. I even had to look up DA to figure out what kind of sander you used, but I'm trackin' now. When you say 'Trizact System' are you just referring to using their (3-M's) 3000 grit sanding disc, or does that describe the entire 'process' of sanding and buffing/polishing?
The Trizact 3000 System refers to te 3000 grit paper (disc) used. Not the entire process.

See this link. We did Steps 2,3,4. Step one is more agressive, but his car did not need it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Small/Step_2/

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
The Trizact 3000 System refers to te 3000 grit paper (disc) used. Not the entire process.

See this link. We did Steps 2,3,4. Step one is more agressive, but his car did not need it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...-Small/Step_2/

Mike
Thanks Mike, and apologies for all the questions, but this looks like something I could do if I got the right tools and was very methodical and careful. What type of DA sander do you use? Is it the 'water feed' type? If not, how do you keep the surface wet, (sponge as you work?)
Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Guys, don't all jump up to go & get a wet sanding system!!!

Wet sanding is for extreme paint fixing, & then REQUIRES machine polishing after. Machine wet sanding can remove a lot of paint really fast!

In untrained hands, you will remove all your clear coat, or damage it enough to need a paint job. This really is a job for pro's.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by JPP
Thanks Mike, and apologies for all the questions, but this looks like something I could do if I got the right tools and was very methodical and careful. What type of DA sander do you use? Is it the 'water feed' type? If not, how do you keep the surface wet, (sponge as you work?)

It is a Hutchins 7544 Wet Sander See here for instructions:

http://www.hutchinsmfg.com/images/75...structions.pdf

It is a water fed type, but that is good for panel jobs not a whole car because you have to keep moving the bucket of water with you. Just pre-soap the panel you are working on. Always keeping it soapy wet.

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Stealth 993 does have a valid point here. If you want to try this system. Do it on a beater or a car you don't mind testing your skills on. When I first did it I used my riding lawnmower's hood. On the other hand this system I did on John's car is the least aggressive. Can you burn paint? Yes, but you can do that with a buffer too even if you don't sand. So be careful once you get your skills down move on to something more important. Honestly it is not that hard, but you do need to take care because you can burn paint.

Mike
Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Guys, don't all jump up to go & get a wet sanding system!!!

Wet sanding is for extreme paint fixing, & then REQUIRES machine polishing after. Machine wet sanding can remove a lot of paint really fast!

In untrained hands, you will remove all your clear coat, or damage it enough to need a paint job. This really is a job for pro's.

Have you ever used the Trizact 3000 grit system? Just curious because you really seem to be an expert on the matter
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Now you gatta get them springs and the LSA all rid of the cosmoline and cleaned up!!!!

Quick Reply: A day cleaning the ride