Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 value Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Safemoney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my .02 - if all you want to spend is $25K - buy a 96 manual C2 with about 75-85K miles that's had recent service and from someone on RList.

Why gamble on the salvage?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a big fan of the skirts....

On the car I mean....on Lori, now that's a different thing....
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

So you guys think a 96 993 with only around 20K miles is really worth low 30's?
I thought more but I guess its just me.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
penpen
Track Day

Originally Posted by kiesan
Rumor has it she knows a guy who hooked her up with a good deal on a bike for trade bait though

Originally Posted by nile13
Lori, Kie, the long road trip is exactly what I did when I bought mine in San Francisco. About 4500 miles meandering across the country. This was truly the best thing I did with the car. I think you're gonna like it :-)
preachin' to the choir these trips always bring back SUCH fond memories, i can never get over the sights and roads travelling through the US... fun car required

2004: 4400 mi, toronto to seattle via grand canyon & sf (integra type r track car)
2005: 4000+mi, toronto to seattle via tx & along hwy 1 (supra TT)
2005: toronto to key west & back (s2000)
2007: sf to seattle via 1 (miata)
2007: seattle to sf and back via 1 (motobike)
2009: detroit to seattle (...coming soon )

now i just need to figure out how i intend to cover up the front bumper to protect from stone chips along the way... not sure on the condition of the front and if a 3m application is what i want to go with, else was thinking about looking into the roll on latex since the spray on stuff looks like a load o' snake oil....

hoorah
Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Kie, did you get ANOTHER 993, or this is for a "friend"?

IMHO, salvage titles are weird. Most banks will not give you any kind of loan for them. Some insurance companies will not insure them. If they do, & the car get "totaled" again, it will be hell trying to get a good payout. Really most of the time, the car is worth a lot less, think about it, a 993 with 2k mi gets hit bad enough to "total" it? That means there was some MASSIVE damage done. Depending on the year it happened the damage could have been in the $40,000 range. I would get the car PPI'ed & then send it to a body shop for another check.

Again, it's not worth close to what another 993 with 20kmi would sell for.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I only did two cross-country trips, one in an '85 MR2 in '99, one in a 993 in '04. Both trips were two weeks and lots of very fun and cool memories.

I'd do it in my Miata too, but coilovers are not that much fun on the long ride. What I secretly dream about is a drive across the country in an ancient big Caddy or something similar. Huge, soft and carefree, no suspension to speak of...
Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

penpen (Lori) bought this one. She wrote a check so a bank loan was not a consideration. She got a great deal on a Ducati and sent that and some $$$ to the 993 seller. She's in it "right" and ready to enjoy. I had already checked this car out every possible way last year and almost bought it myself back then.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Kie, did you get ANOTHER 993, or this is for a "friend"?

IMHO, salvage titles are weird. Most banks will not give you any kind of loan for them. Some insurance companies will not insure them. If they do, & the car get "totaled" again, it will be hell trying to get a good payout. Really most of the time, the car is worth a lot less, think about it, a 993 with 2k mi gets hit bad enough to "total" it? That means there was some MASSIVE damage done. Depending on the year it happened the damage could have been in the $40,000 range. I would get the car PPI'ed & then send it to a body shop for another check.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiesan
penpen (Lori) bought this one. She wrote a check so a bank loan was not a consideration. She got a great deal on a Ducati and sent that and some $$$ to the 993 seller. She's in it "right" and ready to enjoy. I had already checked this car out every possible way last year and almost bought it myself back then.
I remember seeing the post about this car, any particular reason you buy it then?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:17 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prshguy
I remember seeing the post about this car, any particular reason you buy it then?
Do you mean to ask why did I not buy it back then? I could not negotiate a low enough price to feel good or "safe" enough to own the car. That was after exhaustive research on the thing. Back then the seller was in the mid-high 20's range. I ended up buying a mint, bone-stock '96 C2 that I ended up selling on because it was a little mundane. This was all happening summer '08.

Earlier this year I ended up with a modded '95 that I really like. Then, the girl started jonesing for a 993 and she remembered the white car in MI with a story. She loves white vehicles. I pinged the owner who still had it and turns out he would take a Ducati 848 or 1098 as partial trade. As fate would have it I have a used motorcycle store so we put together a wacky deal that somehow worked for all the parties.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 AM
penpen
Track Day

Originally Posted by Stealth 993

the car has a clean title issued by the state of WA, as was the previous from MI. the claims were reported through ins though and as such turn up on the carfax... but no the ins company did not total it out. plus as the seller pointed out, this is not a car that one should buy if they are going to lose sleep over fellow pca'ers nit picking it to death. kie has gone above and beyond interviewing everyone who ever touched this car ad nauseum, so i don't have any qualms about picking this up. cars are meant to be enjoyed, and i will happily thrash it about on the track not worrying that an encounter with turn 7 is going to taint a pristine specimen. nobody is expecting it to fetch anywhere near the value of a clean, no story, low mileage example, so with all due respect, stop picking on my car! *holds it protectively* i will happily love it to bits, blemishes and all, and when i find myself in a better financial situation, who knows what i will step up to. for my first forray into pcar land, i am happy as a peach with this one!

Originally Posted by nile13
I only did two cross-country trips, one in an '85 MR2 in '99, one in a 993 in '04. Both trips were two weeks and lots of very fun and cool memories.

I'd do it in my Miata too, but coilovers are not that much fun on the long ride. What I secretly dream about is a drive across the country in an ancient big Caddy or something similar. Huge, soft and carefree, no suspension to speak of...
hurrah for mrtoos! problem with the caddy though is you don't get to ride around on all the crazy roads that can be found off the beaten path. suspension sells these trips for me (with good tires, hee). i had a clean, traffic-less jaunt from ft bragg to legett in the miata when i picked it up (95 with kyb agx's, lsd nom nom.. also sight unseen) and let me tell you, i did appreciate the suspension. the type r is outfitted w ohlins, and the supra with teins... and i had an ear to ear grin each time... seattle roads make me cringe in the mean time... but oh well, life could be worse!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Kie, keeper alert!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a fun road trip and excellent time of year to do it.
Photographer black gaffer's or blue painter's tape work well for temporary rock protection for the road trip.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Beautiful car PenPen, I think you got a heck of a deal. Besides, everyone knows White's the fastest color and what a great road trip. I'm totally jealous and will be looking for your car to snap my neck up here in Capitol Hill. More pictures, please, upon your safe return.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by penpen
the car has a clean title issued by the state of WA, as was the previous from MI. the claims were reported through ins though and as such turn up on the carfax... but no the ins company did not total it out. plus as the seller pointed out, this is not a car that one should buy if they are going to lose sleep over fellow pca'ers nit picking it to death. kie has gone above and beyond interviewing everyone who ever touched this car ad nauseum, so i don't have any qualms about picking this up. cars are meant to be enjoyed, and i will happily thrash it about on the track not worrying that an encounter with turn 7 is going to taint a pristine specimen. nobody is expecting it to fetch anywhere near the value of a clean, no story, low mileage example, so with all due respect, stop picking on my car! *holds it protectively* i will happily love it to bits, blemishes and all, and when i find myself in a better financial situation, who knows what i will step up to. for my first forray into pcar land, i am happy as a peach with this one!
Welcome to RL and cheers on having a great attitude. Sounds like you got a great car for the purpose intended at the right price. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

So what was the pirce for the car?

Quick Reply: 993 value Question