Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FD Motorsports - Short Shift Kit (SSK)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FD Motorsports - Short Shift Kit (SSK)

Just finished the install of the FDM - SSK. The kit includes a modified RS shifter, an RS fork, the infamous "Golden Rod" and a new guide tube (front shift rod). In addition to shortening the shift throw, The kit eliminates 3 sloppy components in the oem shifting linkage. 2 - ball and socket joints (front and rear connection on the guide tube) and 1- big sloppy rubber bushing (on the gear shift rod). All the parts are either new or modified by FDM are very well done with good fit and finish.

The installation is easy and can be completed in a couple of hours. I would rate it at about a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1-10. I did the install w/o the DIY. I made the mistake of installing the shifter backwards. I used the Porsche PET for the reassembly of parts. Not a good a idea and should not be used for assembly.

I think the PET shows it reversed for illustration. This put the shifter waaaay forward and a little to the right. After discussions with the NoCAL boys we figured out what went wrong. There are rumors that others (Mr. Cactus) made the same mistake...so I don't feel so bad

Since you rotate the oem shift tube bearing sleeve (2 required) 180 degrees, the shifter sits higher than oem. I cut about 3/4" of the top of the new RS shifter which lowers the **** to the right placement. Thanks Darin.

The FDM SSK has a shorter throw and is crisper and more precise than the oem. This is a major improvement to the oem setup which IMHO sucked.

PS. These guys are awesome to work with.

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 05-31-2009 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CraigDK (12-08-2021)
Old 05-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

HA! Did the same thing off of the PET picture so I feel your pain. Two things: I can assemble/disassemble a 993 shift linkage with my eyes closed and the second is Mark and Darin deliver top notch parts/service/and beer(or so I hear on the last one)!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:43 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cactus
I can assemble/disassemble a 993 shift linkage with my eyes closed
Yup. Feeling like a bit of an expert at it myself
Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out, Bob. The PET does show the shift lever backwards Now that we have installation insructions, this shouldn't happen again.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I just finished installing the SSK and Golden Rod. What a nice improvement! Much more direct/precise feeling and shorter throws (obviously). I left the RS rod at it's original height, as this seems to fit me better than the non-RS set-up anyway. And it's more pukka

This is a two-beer install. Took me two hours by myself to add the SSK to the Golden Rod install I did a couple of weeks ago, and I wasn't in any hurry. It is not particularly difficult. The toughest part for me of the whole project was aligning the hole in the Golden Rod with the transmission shaft. The tolerances are tight, as they should be. A little emery paper solved it pretty quick. The SSK part was a snap.

Mark, your instructions are great-thanks for finishing them up so quickly.

For anyone on the fence about this (and wondering who are these guys?), I have to say this is a great upgrade and Mark and Darin are an absolute pleasure to deal with. Proceed with confidence.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I received one of the prototype kits and have been running the SSK for three weeks now, including a weekend at the track (see my new avitar)... The difference in shift quality is truly AMAZING! Everything is more direct... and the RS shift height is perfect! There is a bit more vibration transmitted thru the shifter, but it isn't objectionable at all...

I am extremely satisfied and highly recommend this modification to anyone who wants a better shift feel for their 933!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 AM
tel2931
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I read somewhere here that this doesn't work easily for a C4S?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mark or Darin- do you guys fabricate the RS shifter and the fork or do you use factory parts in your kit? This sounds like something I need to do!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Deadeye,

I'm sure they will chime in, but they actually use a factory RS shifter, modified to permit attachment of their spherical rod ends... The kit addresses both ends of the linkage and removes all slop in the system. Trust me, you will love it!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tel2931
Did I read somewhere here that this doesn't work easily for a C4S?
On the AWD cars it is not a bolt in kit. The front mount point is affixed to the torque tube. You also need to create some room on the center tunnel cover for the lower position of the RS lever (since the shift box is actually the torque tube, there are no bughings to reconfigure, see more in the install guide here: http://www.fdmotorsports.net/SSK%20DIY.pdf The bushings you see that need to be flipped are not there on a C4).

Originally Posted by Deadeye
Mark or Darin- do you guys fabricate the RS shifter and the fork or do you use factory parts in your kit? This sounds like something I need to do!
Michael nailed it... the most cost effective route are the Porsche RS parts and modifying the lever.

Thanks for the nice comments Bob, Jason and Michael. We are doing our best and having a pretty good time doing this stuff!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Duckman
Racer

Here's another postive vote for the FDM - SSK/Golden Rod upgrade. I had my car in the shop today for some routine stuff and had them install the kit for me. Hey, they're better than me, so why not?

Bottom line: GREAT! Love it. Shifts are smove and precise. Throws aren't as short as I expected but they are indeed shorter and the overall improvement in operational feel is amazing. This is what the P-Car OEM shifter should have been but wasn't.

I'm thrilled and recommend this upgrade to everybody who hasn't yet done so.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duckman
Here's another postive vote for the FDM - SSK/Golden Rod upgrade. I had my car in the shop today for some routine stuff and had them install the kit for me. Hey, they're better than me, so why not?

Bottom line: GREAT! Love it. Shifts are smove and precise. Throws aren't as short as I expected but they are indeed shorter and the overall improvement in operational feel is amazing. This is what the P-Car OEM shifter should have been but wasn't.

I'm thrilled and recommend this upgrade to everybody who hasn't yet done so.
Sweet... glad you like it!
Two of my biggest gripes with this car are the OE suspension and the shift linkage... changing both make a world of difference
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Duckman
Racer

I'm all set, then. The PO swapped the OEM suspension for some major improvements.

The only thing left for me decide is the wing and splitter question: Should I or shouldn't I? If so, which?

Oh, I almost forgot the basket handle. I haven't decided on that either. For now, I'm going to drive and enjoy it as is.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Duckman
Racer

FOLLOW-UP: Two plus months after the install, I went into the garage, started my 993 and tried to put it into reverse. Nada. No nothing. The shift lever was swinging freely without being connected to anything. Bummer.

As bad as that is, it's amazing it happened in the safety and convenience of my garage, rather than on a twisty somewhere at 90 mph or at a stop sign 100 miles from home. About that I'm thrilled.

I had my mechanic install it for me the last time I had the car serviced. I'm taking it back to him because he'll stand behind his work if it's something they did wrong or not well. At this point I'm assuming it was faulty installation, rather than anything wrong with the FD Motorsport SSK or RS Rod.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Duckman! That stinks... please let us know what you find.

If you feel nothing (very loose, no resistance at all) it is likely the little e-clip came off and the shift rod dropped off of the shift lever. That clip has to be in it's groove and if it is not seated completely... well, this happens.

Very fortunate to have this happen in your garage.

Quick Reply: FD Motorsports - Short Shift Kit (SSK)