Sponsored by:

Rookie looking for some advice on 1st Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rookie looking for some advice on 1st Porsche

I have been bit hard by the Porsche bug as of late. After debating on what to get from a Boxster S to a 996 to a 964 over the past year. I came to the conclusion I want something with a bit of a old school raw feel and a classic body style. Since I live in Canada I figured that the I wouldn't get that much use out of a convertible.

So I'm dead set on pulling the trigger on a 993. But with this being my first Porsche and all, I wanted to get some do's and don’ts when it comes to buying a used 993.

I know for sure I don't want a Cab or Tip. And I'm very reluctant on getting a C4 because I think a C2 would be more fun to drive. So any advice you can give me on anything from which colour I would never get sick of since I plan a keeping this car for the long haul to problems to look out for.
Since I live in Canada there is not a lot of choice when it comes to used 993's like there is in the States, so I know I have to be patient.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

First off, welcome to Rennlist!

The best piece of advice for any Porsche buyer would be to make sure you get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) by a competent mechanic on the car you find and wish to buy. It is the best money you can spend. DO NOT buy a 993 without a PPI, trust me on this.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd worry less about finding a low mile example and would look for a higher mile example that had been properly maintained that already had a new clutch and a top end with harder valve guides installed; those are among the two most expensive repairs on the 993. With those 2 items addressed, you can literally drive your 993 for many many years relatively cheaply.

Being that you're Canadian, I might have you reconsider a C4, unless you never plan on having the car out in the weather. The AWD system is fairly passive and trouble-free and adds a great deal of confidence in wet and snow. Personally I think in Canada a C4 would be loads of fun, maybe even more so in the weather than a C2, but of course that's your call.

Color is very personal but black cars look great, but they are impossible to keep clean. Silver, red, midnight blue etc., all are good.

My advice is buy the nicest one you can afford. One with a new clutch, top end, all service records would be a dream.

Yes, be patient. And remember, DO NOT forget to do a PPI on whichever car you find!

Good luck and welcome to the 993 fraternity!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to buy one which has had the suspension and top end already done (and done by a reputable shop known to people on this board).

The suspension makes a huge difference in the way the car feels and handles, and the top end is an enormously costly expense (i.e. 7-10K). These are the two biggest expense items you could potentially face, so having them done already is a major plus, even if you have to pay more for the car.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
cmat
Racer

Since this will be your first Porsche, I would drive as many different cars as possible. The models you mentioned all have their appeal but they vary considerably from each other. If the 993 is still your choice, drive a number them. The more cars you experience, the more knowledgeable you will become. Try not to jump at the first car you see. This can be tough.

Have the inspection done by a good independant shop if it is an air cooled car. Most dealers don't have anyone experienced with them. If possible, find out what oil consumption is from the owner. This is a key number that correlates to engine conditon. Hang around here to educate yourself. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Prices are definitely better now than 2 years ago when I bought mine.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I would highly recommend getting a silver one because they're the nicest color on a 993, hide the dirt the best, and hide the pollen in the spring as well. AWD is totally the way to go if you're a Canadian. It's a great feeling when the weather turns for the worse and you're in your 993. Your confidence level goes up a bit driving the AWD.

Now, these opinions expressed above are totally biased since I own the exact car listed ... above. Good luck and pick what YOU like, not what we suggest.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The selection and prices in Canada are not great. If you're in TO or Vancouver you might have some choices at least. I just resigned myself to the fact that I would have to travel to find a 993 which I did. My plan was to find a couple in the Phoenix area and then make a trip of it. If you want to find one in your desired color combo, with upgraded wheels, suspension, top end and other mods its going to be tough. I bought a car that was bone stock but it was in the right color combo, had maintenance records and was still owned by the original owner. It had no top end overhaul, no wheel upgrade and no suspension upgrade but I'm happy still. You just have to be prepared to put in a few bucks for maintenance and/or mods either way. The more you learn beforehand the better assessment you can make of the car without having to rely on others. Whatever you do don't buy without a PPI by an experienced Porsche mechanic at a reputable shop and as always, be prepared to walk away if it is not what you wanted.

Where are you?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Wow thanks for all the quick responses and making me feel so welcome.

I don't plan on driving the car in the winter but you guys do make a good point with the AWD in the rain and think I will keep that as a option.

I am located in Toronto and there are a few 993's for sale in the area and plan on getting out to see them this weekend. The Prices range from 35K-50K for a basic Carrera and 55K for a C4S(All in Canadain Funds). Does that sound around right?

I think my first 2 colour choices would be Silver or Black but might have to take Red into consideration.

Also roughly after how many miles do the Clutches have to be replaced and the top end have to be done?

Thanks again for all the info and I will take the car in for a PPI for sure. Can anyone recommend any good Porsche shops in the GTA?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 AM
timabe
Instructor

+993 on the PPI. Never forget...black is fastest and if you are lucky enough to find a '95 the basket handle does wonders for handling.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
grwoolf
Racer

I'd agree with most of what the other posters said, especially the PPI. However, it's a well known fact that Arena Red is the best color....

When I was looking, it helped me to come up with my 'must have' list, my 'deal killer' list, and my 'wish' list. Colors are paritcularly hard to decide on. If you find the right car that meets your criteria, buy it. Don't obsess about a few thousand bucks on purchase price. A few grand is a drop in the bucket if you plan on keeping it for the long haul.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 AM
jhubs
Racer

Originally Posted by grwoolf
When I was looking, it helped me to come up with my 'must have' list, my 'deal killer' list, and my 'wish' list. Colors are paritcularly hard to decide on. If you find the right car that meets your criteria, buy it. Don't obsess about a few thousand bucks on purchase price. A few grand is a drop in the bucket if you plan on keeping it for the long haul.
I agree about the "lists", a really good idea. What can you live with and what can you fix and what will it end up costing you to get the car the way you want it.

I purchased my 95 with a broken windshield and a broken OEM front bumper. But, the price was right, $28K with 62,000 miles on the clock. New brakes, new windshield, new front Euro Turbo bumper and I had the car the way I wanted it for $33k a year ago. USA 993 prices have fallen since then and you need to be ready to travel to see and test drive cars you are interested in. I flew from Colorado to Virginia to buy my first Porsche and drove it home 3 days later. You can buy a Porsche via long distance, but you need a seller that will cooperate with your requests for paperwork, photos and information.

Purchasing a US car and taking it to Canada might be a little hassle, but there will be more choices in the US. Good luck, be patient and don't get stars in your eyes at the first car you look at. Drive them, ask a lot of questions, ask the owner to go over the repair records with you and explain them and go home and think about it. DO THE PPI, talk to the mechanic and think about it...take your time. A Porsche 993 purchase will be one of the most exciting times of your car life. Rennlist and Pelican are excellent places to look for 993s as these people are real Porsche People and are trustworthy and knowledgeable. Have fun!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 AM
striker27
Intermediate

I am located in Windsor Ontario and bought my 95 993 in the US. It was significantly cheaper then what I could have purchased one for in Toronto. I actually went back to buy some more I like it so much. The cars seem to be really holding their value in Canada compared to the US prices. I was originally looking for a Boxster and picked one up in the US right near the golf course I play at on the cheap a few years ago as well.

The cars are easy to bring in to Canada as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO... no TIP or C4. You get more Porsche without these 2 options. IMO again:-)

Flame suit on...:-)

Get one from the US; far more choice plus so many Rlers to help you with the selection.

Get one with suspension upgrade plus whatever other must haves fit your tastes.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Early '95's are OBD1, not the dreaded OBDII, do not have SAI (Secondary Air Injection) and don't have the despised IMMOBILIZER system. While they are down a few hp to the later VARIORAM cars, IMHO, their simplicity makes up for it. Good Luck in your search.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody has an opinion, and here is mine: If I were you, I'd get a '97 black/black 6-speed. 1997 was the last of the narrowbody 993s and IMHO, the narrow body gives the car better proportions. Nothing looks better than black, but nothing is harder to keep clean...oh, and black is the fastest. I'd try to find one that has the "Varioram" script on the manifold...because the extra weight of the script helps keep the rear planted better in corners...and it looks cool. If the car has more than about 30K miles, the shocks are gonna be pretty close to needing replacement.

Quick Reply: Rookie looking for some advice on 1st Porsche