Sponsored by:

Who here watches the Indy 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
That doesn't really say much and certainly isn't a resounding endorsement of Danica.

PCA Club racers are amateurs, not paid professional racers. They are not expected to be able to compete at the professional level (although the professional level has become a bit tarnished with 'arrive and drive' paid amateurs.

With enough seat time, sponsorship dollars and support, there are dozens and dozens of current drivers who could outperform Danica....such is the reality of modern motorsports. Gone are the days of a team owner "taking a flyer on a kid"...it's all about who can bring what sponsorship dollars to the table, first and foremost.

Danica is driving for what is likely one of the top 3 teams in the IRL...actually are there any other teams outside of the top 3 in the IRL....it is expected that with the best equipment and support, podiums should occur.

She is a good driver, she makes a lot of mental mistakes, she is taking advantage of the novelty of a female driver in US motorsports...good for her.
Since when did third place at Indy not count for some cred? Again, I agree that Danica is not "the best". I just find it immensely amusing that so many people love to take pot shots at her, much the same way that some love to denigrate NASCAR drivers as talentless. The comparison to PCA club racing has absolute relevance since this is a Porsche discussion board with tons of PCA racers who think they are the next Michael Schumacher. The point is that many would have new-found respect for her if she were to drive their cars at speed. It's all too easy to armchair race and be the world's best critic.

Good for Danica that she is female, attractive, has lots of sponsorship money and has some top-flight talent. I'd take advantage of it, too.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Yup. There are a lot of misogynists out there. Her "sex sells" marketing probably doesn't help her image to hardcore race fans, tough.
I despise the 'sex sells' marketing technique so prevalent here and in Europe. I notice she's not wearing her wedding ring in that bra photo either. I wager if she spent a bit more time on conditioning, strength training, and road course practice, she could be better than mid-pack-chicane in the road course races, she's always done reasonably well on ovals, including her fuel-strategy-gifted win. You ask why there's so many Danica-haters ? Because she sets herself up for it. Her sex-laden commercials and bikini crap disgust me. How are women supposed to be taken seriously in these sorts of sports when she is the most famous example of 'oh yeah, I'm a race driver, take me seriously, yeah, look at my butt crack'. I found Katherine Legge far more endearing and sexy because she took her ChampCar job seriously and didn't go sex-model route.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Curious to see if anyone offers her an F1 ride next season, with the new teams coming on board. She certainly can bring sponsorship funds with her.

IIRC, she was quoted as saying that she had no interest in driving in F1, which I find somewhat remarkable.
I've met very few drivers who do not aspire to driving an F1 car...then again, after seeing her road course performances, perhaps she knows better.

Either way, it does make for interesting conversation
Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
which site is that? Great images!!
Here ya' go!
http://f1spirit.exblog.jp/i3/

Here's a F/N driver's blog with good shots:
http://andrelotterer.com/wordpress/?cat=17
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there yesterday. 5 rows up in turn 4. 2nd Indy, 1st after buying the 964. I couldn't help but wonder if I could run flat out through those turns.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Here ya' go!
http://f1spirit.exblog.jp/i3/

Here's a F/N driver's blog with good shots:
http://andrelotterer.com/wordpress/?cat=17
Thanks a lot!

I know Andre L pretty well these days, he sent me a link to his blog but didnt know of the first link- thanks!!!!

Gosh, we designed and built the racecar and we dont know where to get pictures
Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Thanks a lot!
Sure! Just for reference, I simply googled for "Formula Nippon" then selected Images, then limited to Large images, and then found some nice shots and looked for good sites from there. There may be more sites, I only looked through the first few pages. You can try limiting to Extra large images as well, (I found the links to the official series images by doing this, see below.)

This one has a couple more:
http://maruchii.exblog.jp/i2

Bunches more here:
http://eos1d3.exblog.jp/tags/%EF%BC%A6%EF%BC%AE/

Including...

It looks like a media credential is required for the main series website, but here's a google search using the "site qualifier" feature that returns some nice images:
http://images.google.com/images?imgs...tart=0&ndsp=21

So, what are the LED's on the roll hoop for? Safety feature for racing in a downpour, perhaps?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry I didnt answer your roll hoop question earlier.

They are push to pass lights -- each driver gets five bullets, as each one is used (extra 400rpm each shot for a straightaway worth) one light goes out. This allows the crowd to see who has what left.

At first I didnt like it, but after some time being there seeing it in action, I like it. Cool stuff!!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Not likely....

Originally Posted by alfred_hybrid
Was there yesterday. 5 rows up in turn 4. 2nd Indy, 1st after buying the 964. I couldn't help but wonder if I could run flat out through those turns.
Lets say that you get the run down the front straight...you should be close to 130+...then turn left....maybe with really good tires, tricked out suspension, a nice wing and a front splitter and a large pair..it could be done...but too much run out would be a disaster. That track's banking is not that severe. And note the right side suspension will be compressed due to the roll of the car...tires will be your only suspension.

At Autoclub California Speedway as well as Las Vegas International Speedway, two of the tracks we run with the Porsche Owners Club in SoCal, you could run flat out through the banking, no problem...especially Las Vegas...major banking. All IMHO, of course....
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Since when did third place at Indy not count for some cred? Again, I agree that Danica is not "the best". I just find it immensely amusing that so many people love to take pot shots at her, much the same way that some love to denigrate NASCAR drivers as talentless. The comparison to PCA club racing has absolute relevance since this is a Porsche discussion board with tons of PCA racers who think they are the next Michael Schumacher. The point is that many would have new-found respect for her if she were to drive their cars at speed. It's all too easy to armchair race and be the world's best critic.

Good for Danica that she is female, attractive, has lots of sponsorship money and has some top-flight talent. I'd take advantage of it, too.
When you see this lady power down the front straight at 200+mph, take a little jog to the right to set up for turn one (1), no braking here, and make that turn...close to 200 mph...you'll have a whole new level of respect for Danica. Her very close third place finish at Indy...right behind second place guy, a former 500 winner...you just have to admit to yourself...she is better than most in the world.

You should have heard the crowd cheer at the driver introductions...they loved Danica. Sure she may be a bit of a prima donna...perhaps she just believes her own press, who wouldn't. Her finish at Indy pretty much assures that she'll have her contract renewed. She runs for the Andretti Team. In closing, seeing her drive "live" I have a whole new level of respect for her.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

She has more than enough talent to keep me happy.....
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a Indy Fan and a Danica Fan . Hard to keep bashing a driver that finishes like she does. I don't know F1, but I see alot of people on these boards agreeing that F1 is the best series, sorry I disagree. I'm beginning to see how few people have their own idea's of whats good on these boards and simply follow what they have read.
Racing is great in any venue, chose what you enjoy, and stand up for the drivers you admire.

Jason
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
I despise the 'sex sells' marketing technique so prevalent here and in Europe. I notice she's not wearing her wedding ring in that bra photo either. I wager if she spent a bit more time on conditioning, strength training, and road course practice, she could be better than mid-pack-chicane in the road course races, she's always done reasonably well on ovals, including her fuel-strategy-gifted win. You ask why there's so many Danica-haters ? Because she sets herself up for it. Her sex-laden commercials and bikini crap disgust me. How are women supposed to be taken seriously in these sorts of sports when she is the most famous example of 'oh yeah, I'm a race driver, take me seriously, yeah, look at my butt crack'. I found Katherine Legge far more endearing and sexy because she took her ChampCar job seriously and didn't go sex-model route.
What is her conditioning and strength training regime and what's her road practice strategy? From your comments, it seems you know...

I would not call myself a "Danica fan" but do believe she's very talented and I have a great deal of respect for her proven abilities.

Rick
Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Damn...saw that Bikini pic...now I am really a BIG FAN!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

FTG
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...sted-from-ims/

Quick Reply: Who here watches the Indy 500