Sponsored by:

Who here watches the Indy 500

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Danika blew it during the last pit with that over shoot! Been doing this way to long to make rookie mistakes like that. She picks up a couple spots, looses them, gets them.......she's never been consistent. Good thing she has plenty of endorsement deals

I agree and with all this she is still hanging in the top 10 (#4 right now). She is a good driver, just quit making all those stupid mistakes. She has a win in this series.

Mike
Old 05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
That Boost Mobile commercial was just plain stupid, oh, wait, it's a Danica Patrick commercial. DUH, one and the same. "When you peak, you win" (cue the When Harry Met Sally orgasm scene)...

My main interests this weekend were the Monaco GP and 24 Hours at the Nurburgring. I was following it with live streaming and GPS showing the cars' positions on the circuit. (no spoilers, I won't say who won either).

Indy is a minor amusement for me, and I just cannot bring myself to watch NASCAR.
Oh I don't know, that one with the pit crew in heals and skirts was just funny

She does work for Andretti. Michael was never up to par either IMO, and his dad just rode a name gravy train
Old 05-24-2009, 05:48 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Arena993
I agree and with all this she is still hanging in the top 10 (#4 right now). She is a good driver, just quit making all those stupid mistakes. She has a win in this series.

Mike
At least she got 3rd! Could have had a "shot at the win" if she hadn't screwed up. I don't know that I'd agree about the good driver thing. Been watching her for years and not that impressed. Driving must be a hobby centered around all the endorsements and photo shoots.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:49 PM
993inNC
Race Car

She does work for Andretti. Michael was never up to par either IMO, and his dad just rode a name gravy train
Did you see the newest Hardee's commercial?

The thick burger drops and the voice says "what guys think"
Then the little thick burger drops and the voice says "what women see"

WTF is that all about?

Congrats to Helio
Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

FTG
Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first 10 and last 10 laps of any race is about all I follow.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I too thought the pit crew in skirts and heals was funny. I'm definitely going to check out the Go Daddy online versions of their commercials, prob. a letdown though.

Don't mind watching a little NASCAR but don't consider myself a big fan, it's nice to see a little passing back and forth but like the road races better.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
...My main interests this weekend were the Monaco GP and 24 Hours at the Nurburgring...
It's amazing that one of the most interesting races in F1 gets crappy coverage in the US, and the crappy race (the Indy 500) gets interesting coverage.

Does anyone know how to fool the BBC's server into not knowing that my computer is in the USA in order to get their coverage of F1?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
bart1
Race Car

I just don't get all the danica haters. She is not the "Micheal Jordan" of racing, but consistently finishes well. Podium in the premier race of her league is not bad. And so what if she made a mistake or two, Helios doesn't have a clutch and still can't get his car in gear. Gotta pull for Penske though, I guess.

I, too, would rather have been watching the race at the 'Ring.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 391 Posts

I watched the entire race - first time ever. I usually catch what I can, but try to catch the beginning and end.

The yellows ruin it. I don't know how you avoid them, but they definitely and significantly take away from the viewing experience - IMO.

It is like a significant injury in football, where someone has a serious neck/head injury (stops play for 10-20 minutes). But instead of stopping the clock during the injury, they let it run... even as time expires.

Oh, and for this year's 2009 Indy, it would be like watching a NFL game with 8 or 9 serious head/neck injuries that take 15 minutes or more on average to resume play.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
The yellows ruin it. I don't know how you avoid them,,,,
Watch another series?

I like the SpeedHD F1 coverage, Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs/Windsor are great! DVR is a must though. I usually rewatch the BBC-HD coverage from bitttorrent. That works well if you like to watch the free practices for a given weekend too.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Today was the first time since 1995 that I watched the entire 500 live. It took me a while to get over the split with TG. It was nice watching the race, again.

Now, I really wish they would change the look of the IRL cars. (IMO, it's still an ugly looking car). I think if they just got rid of the airbox the car would look a lot better.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

What a story, what a race! Pole-sitter wins after a harrowing trial that would devastate most mortals. I'll buy the book; I'll go see the movie. Really refreshing to see the best get what they've earned. And Penske? If he ran for President, I'd vote for him. He gets it done. He motivates people to do their best.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from the track. Not the biggest Indy car fan, but I really do enjoy going. Much better views on tv, but the atmosphere there is pretty cool. Plus, I do really like listening to the pit to car radio transmissions. No one was going to touch Helio today, guy looked to have it pretty in hand from the beginning. Now if they had more than one car/motor combo....
Old 05-24-2009, 11:36 PM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smiles
It's amazing that one of the most interesting races in F1 gets crappy coverage in the US, and the crappy race (the Indy 500) gets interesting coverage.
Does anyone know how to fool the BBC's server into not knowing that my computer is in the USA in order to get their coverage of F1?
That's funny. I have friends in UK who can't stand BBC coverage and prefer to watch SpeedTV stream on line (despite the commercials).

You can use UK proxy server to fool BBC' IP locator or just try one of Justin TV channels or Sopcast to get BBC live next time.

What is killing me there is no Montreal GP in two weeks I have been there every year for the first weekend in June and now we got Turkey GP instead

Well, tomorrow morning I am off to Lime Rock to watch classic F1 cars racing live.

And there will be some P-cars too !

Helio was great today and Danica performed better than expected.
I heard she goes to F1 next year (USGP F1 team).

Quick Reply: Who here watches the Indy 500