Sponsored by:

Engine stalls on first crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:40 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Try changing your fuel filter, also may want to look into having the injectors cleaned.
Chris - I think you're on it! Yesterday I dropped a bottle of Techron in the fuel tank and topped the tank off to just over half full. Within a few kilometers I noticed an improvement. Did a cold start late last night and it just about hang in there but died. This morning I did another one and it did not die but struggled at first and then ran normal. We are getting close here - it must be the fuel injectors. I bought a second bottle so will do a second treatment. Will also order a new Fuel filter - I don't know if the one in there is original.
A proper fuel injector cleaning may be required but for now I'll see how it goes and I don't think it was your beer you spilled Tim

Btw Chris - your X-pipes combined with Louis's old RSR mufflers sound purty - just perfect!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey, quoted without permission, what is that about? :-)

Hans, you can pull the injectors and get them cleaned. I used Jim's Fuel Injection Service on East Kent. They pretested, cleaned and checked the spray pattern/flow on my injectors when I did the engine. Two of the injectors were partially blocked, giving an uneven flow pattern. They came back with new O rings, caps, filter baskets, spacer, nice and clean, and ready to go. Not cheap though...$35/injector three years ago. YOu might be able to get it done cheaper somewhere else.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
Chris - I think you're on it! Yesterday I dropped a bottle of Techron in the fuel tank and topped the tank off to just over half full. Within a few kilometers I noticed an improvement. Did a cold start late last night and it just about hang in there but died. This morning I did another one and it did not die but struggled at first and then ran normal. We are getting close here - it must be the fuel injectors. I bought a second bottle so will do a second treatment. Will also order a new Fuel filter - I don't know if the one in there is original.
A proper fuel injector cleaning may be required but for now I'll see how it goes and I don't think it was your beer you spilled Tim

Btw Chris - your X-pipes combined with Louis's old RSR mufflers sound purty - just perfect!

First, thanks, glad you're enjoying the combo

Happy to hear you are getting somewhere on the sputtering issue......got to keep good looking cars like yours on the road, lookin' and soundin' fine

The techron is most likely going to only be a band aide for the problem. You really should get the injector service done, especially if the car isn't being used a lot. The straw that will break the camel's back (and your wallet) will be when the injector sticks open and fills the cylinder full of fuel.......and then you go and attempt to start the car....... Bent rods will only be part of the problem.......ask me how I know (not on the P-car thankfully but still German)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hey, quoted without permission, what is that about? :-)
Okay Mike not so serious now

And yes - the fuel injectors need to come out - another fun project

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been having a similar problem, When the car finally starts there is a nice puff of unburnt fuel out the exhaust telling me there appears to be plenty of fuel being dumped in. (I am still looking for a solution) When the car is up and running it feels great, no hesitation, no flatspots, and pulls just as hard as it always has.

Do you have an audio clip of how it sounds when it turns then doesnt start? I will try and get one myself, anyone who is having similar issues could do the same.

Regards
Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Tweetie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that the distributer and rotors are bad/worn.
My car took even longer to start today on the second try.

Can't wait to have this solved.

98C2S

Ian
Old 05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Just did a cold start and it starts and keeps running on the first crank now and has been the last few days. As mentioned the only change I have made is running with the Techron and I am on the second treatment. I feel just like Chris and Mike say it being a band aide fix and I need to look into cleaning the fuel injectors. Also in my case before all this started I just had my distributor rebuilt with a new belt, rotors and caps and new spark plugs.

Heck I should do a sound clip anyways to show off the X-pipes
Old 05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my starting gremlin is gone. I just replaced the DME and it starts up no problem now.

Also, someone mentioned to wait about 5 seconds to start the car to let the fuel pump do it's thing. It's possible that it's on it's last leg. I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound more like the temp sensor in the cylinder head. You can check fuel pressure pretty easy though. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, there is a schrader type fitting on the passenger side fuel rail right under the fan between cylinders 1 and 2. Check the pressure at startup. I am thinking though that this will be fine (3.7 BAR). You are not experiencing other issues associated with fuel issues.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats an eeeeeeexcellent idea

Glad you're getting somewhere with the starting/running issue. You know you could have also had bad gas or water in the fuel.......
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Do it, your car sounds awesome Hans.

BTW, maybe you should drive your car more and avoid this starting problem!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 AM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default mild cold starting issue

Jo-Hans - does your car starting issue arise even if you start it every day, or do you leave it several days between (poor) starts?
Mine is fine overnight, but has a few turns and then a sputter for 2 seconds after that if I leave it for 4-5 days or more.
I would like to trade info abot what is going on. I also had a complete 60k mile tune up (with new spark plug wires) so everything is new.
Charlie

Quick Reply: Engine stalls on first crank