Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by -CD-
Really nice car and great colour!

But why that?

No big deal to put it off and much more better for paint quality!

Greetings Christian

That was my F-up. My job was to take all the parts off the car and they would do the body work and paint. I didn't remove the strikers because the doors needed to close while I drove the car to the body shop (1 block away). When I dropped the car off it slipped my mind to remove the strikers. I didn't even notice until we pulled all the tape off that they weren't removed. Removing it would have been ideal, but the job came out fantastic and very hard to see the tape line. Nothing is ever perfect. Doing this project has been a major undertaking even with someone else doing the paint and body. So that's why they weren't removed.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by aribop
Mike, looks AWESOME! I love the rear bumper!!!!
I tell you I was stoked when I saw the bumper prior to paint. IMHO the bumperette delete helps the car's lines

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's looking GREAT!
Thanks. From one blue cab to another I love the combo you chose

Originally Posted by MikeAlwaysWins
Great Work, Mike.... Thanks for sharing.....I always look forward to your next installment....
I can't wait to see the finished product on this one...
I can't wait until it's done either. Doing this always seems like a good idea in the talking stage. The doing stage is another story.

Mike
Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

I think you'll need a vacation after this Mike. The finish line is in sight!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike

Something is puzzling me and I might as well come out ask . As you know I have a RB cab also and the paint is single stage , my body shop wanted to put clear coat on put the color did not match so they end up having to blend the clear with the base coat to get the right color match and I just finish cut n polish the car and my pads turned blue .
Now here you are saying you`re putting a couple layers of clear coats on . Is the color going to be the same as original ? Just curious .

Cheers Guy
Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The secret to shooting Glasurit is to give the primer plenty of time to cure,--a month or more is ideal. Once the wet-sanding is done the color coat will be much smoother. Unfortunately, most regular body repairs are done with a rushed customer and a rushed shop,--and the primer never fully cures before they shoot the color coat. I hope you gave it plenty of time.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The secret to shooting Glasurit is to give the primer plenty of time to cure,--a month or more is ideal. Once the wet-sanding is done the color coat will be much smoother. Unfortunately, most regular body repairs are done with a rushed customer and a rushed shop,--and the primer never fully cures before they shoot the color coat. I hope you gave it plenty of time.
Is this really true? I was talking to a shop that is well trained in both Glasurit and Standox, and they were told that primers, color and clear coats cure very quickly, and you do not have to wait the longer times. That time might be a left-over from old style paints.

Is this rule from something that you heard, or from the manufacturer, or from experience?

I am just curious give this is contridictory to other information that I have been told.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Arena993
Race Car

+1 on what Mike said. If that were indeed the case Glasurit would be out of business. What shop would use a primer that takes 30 days to flash out before you lay down the base coat. The primer on my car was on there about 1.5 - 2 weeks. Just my opinion I have seen the Glasurit rep at the shop if I see him again I will ask.

Mike
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by briefescape
Hey Mike

Something is puzzling me and I might as well come out ask . As you know I have a RB cab also and the paint is single stage , my body shop wanted to put clear coat on put the color did not match so they end up having to blend the clear with the base coat to get the right color match and I just finish cut n polish the car and my pads turned blue .
Now here you are saying you`re putting a couple layers of clear coats on . Is the color going to be the same as original ? Just curious .

Cheers Guy
The reason the pad turned blue is that it is still a single stage paint they put on your car, even though it was mixed with a clear coat. This just makes a single stage paint is all. Remember clear coat is really just clear paint. There is a different make up for protection and hardness, but for all intensive purposes it is clear paint. As far as me putting clear over the base makes no difference in the color match at all. I have a friend with a 2009 TT and he had paint to sample Rivi Blue. My paint is dead on to his and his came frome Porsche as a base coat clear coat car. Also Rivi Blue is an easy color to mix due to there being no variants. 39E is it. Whereas in meatllic colors there are multiple variants so color matching is harder. Also technology in paint has grown since 1995. I would only lay down base/clear. You have to remember I am doing a complete respray so matching the factory method of single stage wasn't even an issue. Clear coat is better on your car IMHO asit protects the paint.

Mike
Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 780 Likes on 362 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Arena993
I have a friend with a 2009 TT and he had paint to sample Rivi Blue.
You guys MUST get together for some pics!!

Last edited by Jamie140; 05-19-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You guys MUST get together for some pics!!
That's the plan. We were at a concours in Lexington, KY and he was deciding on what color to paint his car. I gave him a diecast model of a 993 Rivi blue cab. I guess the rest is history. Not saying I was the deciding factor, but I am glad he chose it. he didn't want the every day colors. He wanted something different.

Mike
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Johan928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Mike!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 202 Posts

MIke,

Good job!

Keep us updated

Simon
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
I gave him a diecast model of a 993 Rivi blue cab. I guess the rest is history. He wanted something different.

Mike
Spending other people's money again Mike?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this is like waiting for a release of a new Pat Conroy novel (August 12)!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Arena993
Race Car

I got the car back from paint today. It looks great. That thing is BLUE. I have already put some pieces on and will be shooting pics and posting tomorrow. I am on the downside now.

Mike

Quick Reply: RIVI BLUE CAB - UPDATED Body is painted PICS