993 Forum 1995-1998

My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 AM
mbackhand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,

So I stole these for a hell of a deal... Carbon Fiber and Alcantara. with rails and side mounts.

I figured for the price (soo low) they were worth a shot.

thoughts???

They are from Max Speed Motors. Someone posted them on eBay and I talked him into pulling the auction down. I paid 800 and got both seats and all the brackets to mount them and got free shipping. They are adjustable.
They were brand new in the box and I got the receipt for $1700.00 that he paid for them.
Attached Images      

Last edited by mbackhand; 05-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:02 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any more available? Are they real GT3 or aftermarket? Who makes them?
The look great!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well..... It looks like a track car. Are they comfortable? How much did you pay?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get them from Alabama?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You can cut the costs of products quite a bit by not doing any testing or having any safety certification.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
You can cut the costs of products quite a bit by not doing any testing or having any safety certification.
Hmm.. sounds like a "SNAP!"

Andreas
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

They look, great, how about outlining the installation process and hardware details for future reference.

I don't see the point of seats like this w/o a full harness install
Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
+ $1700 (the price delta between these and real GT3 seats - potentially the difference between life and death).
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Suede or Alcantara?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I like em.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
future
Banned

Look great but just to let you know they are made in Taiwan and not by Max Speed Motors.

There are 2 manufactures of these replica seats - 1 is very poor quality and to be avoided at all costs and the other is actually very well made - both companies based in Taiwan.

You will know if you have the good quality versions if the cushion under your legs is convex to match the shape of your legs.

For everybody's reference this is the company that make the poor quality version: http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...cket_Seat.html

Both companies offer various trim options.

Regarding FIA testing, this only cost $4k in both Taiwan and China so there is no excuse for these companies not to have there products certified.

They do look great all the same and I hope you purchased the better quality versions.

These are the quality version which you could have purchased brand new via eBay direct from Taiwan (notice the cushions I refer to): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-P...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by future
Look great but just to let you know they are made in Taiwan and not by Max Speed Motors.

There are 2 manufactures of these replica seats - 1 is very poor quality and to be avoided at all costs and the other is actually very well made - both companies based in Taiwan.

You will know if you have the good quality versions if the cushion under your legs is convex to match the shape of your legs.

For everybody's reference this is the company that make the poor quality version: http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...cket_Seat.html

Both companies offer various trim options.

Regarding FIA testing, this only cost $4k in both Taiwan and China so there is no excuse for these companies not to have there products certified.

They do look great all the same and I hope you purchased the better quality versions.

These are the quality version which you could have purchased brand new via eBay direct from Taiwan (notice the cushions I refer to): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-P...Q5fAccessories

Interesting info. What makes the seats with the scalloped cushions better? The problem with using the seat cushion as a reference is that there's a chance it can be bought separately and placed into one of the inferior seats or maybe the manufacturer of the bad seats will modify the cushion (cheap enough to do) to foll buyers into thinking that they're getting the "better" seats. Regardless, if the seat does not have an FIA sticker or has not been tested by a governing transportation body, I would not want to ride in a car that has them.

To the OP, the seats look good but be really careful with them. The last thing that you want is for them to break in a crash.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM
future
Banned

We purchased a seat from each company and tested them both on road and track.

The poor quality seats really are VERY dangerous. Firstly the mounting side nuts do not have ample steel molded in stress bearing load points - I have see these crack and fail. Secondly when sitting in the seat and pressing back hard with each sholder the seat backs bend illustrating that not enough CF was used during manufacture. Recaro incorporated the rib back design so that they could save weight using a thinner CF fabric but there seats were pre-preg - These copies are wet layup CF composite or basically FRP resin based with a CF fabric.

We know the price for testing products because we are looking at re-manufacturing the 964 RS sets but if we do so this then I'm only going to entertain the project if they pass FIA certification. In Germany/Switzerland this would cost us about $20k but $4k in China.

As mentioned the quality version were actually very well made with better quality use of wet layup CF and more importantly the mounting points were dramatically beefed up - let me see if I can get some pics to post even though both seats are now scrap. In the end we decided not to sell either even though I'd have been happy using the quality type for road use
Old 05-09-2009, 05:05 PM
future
Banned

Drift Zone selling the seats on Ebay DO NOT make them ... They are made by a company called Backgarden-Co: http://www.cens.com/ishow/b/backgard...te_7889_1.html

Even though they did not have them tested themselves a company that resells them in Germany went to the trouble of having them tested and they passed - That's all the info I can give you

Backgarden-co can't supply the seats with FIA approved date stamps on them due to a customer confidentiality agreement. They will however arrange testing for any company interested in selling them.

I also know of a company making the 997 GT3 seats along with the Carrera GT but can't disclose this because we are looking at selling them if the quality is up-to-standard. I'm not interested in the GT3 seats but very interested in the Carrera GT seats - I will update when I receive them

I can also disclose the company that makes the Rinspeed wheels and bodykits plus the company that makes the Sportec wheels ... Here is a teaser for you all regarding the Sportec wheels - Do not believe when vendors tell you they make everything in house because 70% don't and this includes the big 3 in Germany excluding RUFF. Everything we manufacture we do in-house.

Make of this info what you will: http://www.alibaba.com/member/ae1029...t_Technic.html Notice the name Sport-Technic ... very similar to Sportec
Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the info, future. Good data point for the archives.

Quick Reply: My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,