Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

C4S v. C2S values

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Clearly 1747 S models produced from 97 to 98 world wide. Many 4S models made, too many std NB made and last but not least more Turbos made in 97 thru 98 2757. In any type of collection, the least is always the most collectible period.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by geordie
Five Guys are better than In-N-Out ... No, really.
Let me address this first-are you out of your mind? Five Guys suck. They won't cook their burgers anything other than well done (if they had good meat they wouldn't have to worry about cooking rare) and they even refuse to griddle a hot dog without splitting it lengthwise-and hot dogs are already cooked!

As someone who hasn't owned a rear engine Porsche I have to say I'd go for the C2S first. More pure. If I'm going for an aircooled, rear engine car, I'm not going AWD.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Tradition has much to do in determining desireability, silver has been the long standing country color representing German racing since the 50's and 60's. It must be the German engineers, silver appears faster and is good at hiding dirt.
Actually, white was the original racing color representing Germany. As the story goes, one year, the pre-war Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix cars were over the strictly enforced weight limit at race time. The engineers quickly scraped off the white paint and the resulting silver (bare metal) cars qualified, just barely, at final weigh-in. The look caught on and they were hence forth painted silver and referred to as the "Silver Arrows."
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Almost all Porsche fanatics view the 993 as a special car because of its position in Porsche history and its great looks.
This is a pretty broad statement. What are you basing it on? Like I said I like the 993. I like all 911's from 69 on to 98 with possibly the exception of a bone stock 74 for lack of performance. There are a number of the newer GT cars I like too.

Being a PCA member since 1977 and knowing hundreds of Porsche fanatics. I could say this statement is a bit biased. I know far more 911 owners that are long nose or 356 fanatics and 90% of the time a 356 or long nose cars will win a peoples choice award at a car show. The 911 is known by the shape of the 911 long nose, first generation impact bumpers (911, SC, Carrera) and the 964. More people I speak to than not appreciate the lines of the earlier cars. Although the 993 fanatics are a tightly woven group I would say they are far from the majority. I think a lot of it has to do with when you were born and what you grew up admiring.

So this leaves the question, does a widebody look better with a tail or without?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Almost all Porsche fanatics view the 993 as a special car because of its position in Porsche history and its great looks.
Originally Posted by cobalt
This is a pretty broad statement. What are you basing it on? ... I like all 911's from 69 on to 98...
Last of the air-cooled....

The 993 is the most modern "old school" 911. By modern I mean the body shape mostly, but being the last generation of that era it encompasses the most recent engineering updates -- suspension, engine, etc.

IMHO
Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Last of the air-cooled....

The 993 is the most modern "old school" 911. By modern I mean the body shape mostly, but being the last generation of that era it encompasses the most recent engineering updates -- suspension, engine, etc.

IMHO
I agree.

Never said otherwise. Although it is not everyone's favorite 911 and some don't look at the latest as being the greatest. If that were the case we would all be driving 996/997's. To be honest we should all be happy that there are these clicks of ownership that help keep the value of our cars alive. If every 911 fanatic loved only the 993 i think because of the relatively low production numbers pricing would be through the roof. Although I don't see anyone spending $125k on a C2S but I have seen 911S's sell for that much and E's and T's can go for well into $60+K.

Buy what you like and enjoy. These cars offer a great driving experience and what defines a 911 is your experience behind the wheel and not how it looks in the garage.. .
Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTKan
What is the current thinking as to whether the C4S or the C2S will be the more collectible going forward - assuming all else constant?
Is that Willhoit's house in your Avatar?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So this leaves the question, does a widebody look better with a tail or without?
It doesn't matter a widebody 993 looks great any way you look at it
Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that Willhoit's house in your Avatar?
Yes - that is Willhoit's house. It is also for sale, I believe. Check out the first entry on his site.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
grwoolf
Racer

I feel that the wide body 993 is the best looking 911 ever produced. Obviously, that's my personal opinion and what drove me to buy a 993 CS vs. other models with much more performance for the $. When it's all said and done, the looks of a car typically have the biggest impact on its long term legacy and desirability (and resulting value). The 993 is way too modern to understand where its ultimate place in history rests, but I don't think it is unreasonable to say it might be a significant collector car 25 years down the road (like a 67 Vett, not like a rare Ferrari). There is a reason a nice C2S sells for almost twice the price of newer 996, we just don't know if those reasons will hold water over time. I cant' see a reason why there will ever be a big difference between the value of a CS and a 4S, but I'd give a slight edge to the CS (but I'm biased).
Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm seeing several C2S/C4S in the $50K's in Autotrader. These are the same prices as pre-financial crisis comparables with similar mileage.

Somewhat confusing...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trickydisco
I'm seeing several C2S/C4S in the $50K's in Autotrader. These are the same prices as pre-financial crisis comparables with similar mileage.

Somewhat confusing...
People are still asking top $$. Doesn't mean their getting it. Hell Ray Joseph has a 94 turbo on his site for $104k. I love my car but that is crazy $$. I hope he gets it but i don't think it is realistic. Although a low mileage 928 GTS 5 speed did sell recently for $92,500.00. So anything is possible.

It just takes finding the right buyer.

When you think of it what can you buy new for $50k today that is worth it and won't depreciate to nothing in a year or twos time. These cars will always have a following and as long as they do prices should not drop to low. What you will find is as time goes on the clean well maintained low mileage cars will hold or increase in value. The rest will depreciate and make the gap in value much more than it is today. This is what happened to the 964 and will happen to the 993.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

This thread alone ( https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=34752 ) where the OP is struggling to decide between a fairly high mileage (65K) 993 C4S and a low mileage 997 for about the same price, says quite a bit about the lasting value of the 993 how much it is loved by enthusiasts.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

man these threads annoy me.

If you want investments, purchase some damn muni bonds.

You bought a bunch of steel, plastic, and rubber thats sole purpose in life is to be driven.

Stop candyassing around with which one will be worth more or more collectible, and just drive the bloody thing.

Its not a one off race car, its a mass produced, mid priced sports car. You will ALWAYS find another.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
man these threads annoy me.

If you want investments, purchase some damn muni bonds.

You bought a bunch of steel, plastic, and rubber thats sole purpose in life is to be driven.

Stop candyassing around with which one will be worth more or more collectible, and just drive the bloody thing.

Its not a one off race car, its a mass produced, mid priced sports car. You will ALWAYS find another.
+993. AMEN, brother!

Quick Reply: C4S v. C2S values