993 Forum 1995-1998

C4S v. C2S values

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I think my perceptions, all of them, are right on the money.

Have a nice day "friend".
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Jeez, you widebody guys are so sensitive!

I think in the long run, the C2S will be worth more than the C4S. I'm not sure I agree about it being worth more than a TT in the long run though. Only time will tell...
Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither have a very good ROI.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Chris L/FL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

C2S is a beautiful, low production car...but I don't think it will be worth more than a 993TT long term. I may be just slighty biased though.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Five Guys are better than In-N-Out ... No, really."

No way, Whataburger all the way!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Hate to break the news but most all these cars are not collectible. Not unless they have less than 5k miles and are perfectly stock with a desirable color combination. A C2S/C4S should hold its value better but the only 993 that might be collectible is the 993 TTS with low mileage in the US. There are ROW models that will be collectible but they never made it here unfortunatly.

If you buy these cars as an investment you will be disappointed in your return. The best you can hope for is buying a low mileage car drive it 2-3k miles a year and sell it for what you paid for it in a few years time.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Hate to break the news but most all these cars are not collectible.

If you buy these cars as an investment you will be disappointed in your return. .
I disagree with your first point, but couldn't agree more on your second.

Collectibility has very little to do with return on investment as far as I'm concerned. There are so many cars that people collect for fun, nostalgia, etc., but in the end it is almost always a hobby, not a business. Hobbies cost money. It's nice if you have a collectible car that appreciates a bit, but there are very few cars with legitimate investment potential over time.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by grwoolf
I disagree with your first point, but couldn't agree more on your second.

Collectibility has very little to do with return on investment as far as I'm concerned. There are so many cars that people collect for fun, nostalgia, etc., but in the end it is almost always a hobby, not a business. Hobbies cost money. It's nice if you have a collectible car that appreciates a bit, but there are very few cars with legitimate investment potential over time.
I guess if you look at it that way I would agree. Although that would put many models in this category. I find most of your die hard collectors collect for several reasons. They usually purchase a model because of its rarity, desirability and potential ROI. Most people with large collections swap cars all the time and usually do so when the market gives them enough ROI to purchase a more desirable model.

If you watch the TV show appraise my ride or any of the collector car auctions, they talk about collectible cars as being cars that will appreciate in value.

I purchased 2 cars that might one day increase in value but I purchased for one reason and that was desirability. I find that alone was enough to make the purchase since i desire these versions of these models more than all others of their model type. So if you think of it that way I would say the C2S & C4S are 2 of the more desirable 993's to own. We all hope our cars will appreciate but in this economy I think we should all be lucky if they maintain their value. In any case I buy what I like and enjoy and if they increase in value all the better.

IMO if it were on or the other the C2S wins hands down since I am not a fan of AWD cars.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
grwoolf
Racer

I guess we're saying the same thing, I just have a broader definition for collector car. I'd include all the old mustangs, Jags, pretty much any car that has ridden out the depreciation curve and is still desirable enough for people to keep on the road, restore, etc.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

I think you just have to wait long enough. I feel like the prices for run of the mill long hoods have doubled in the past 10 years, but maybe I'm crazy.

But I do agree, they make a crappy investment in the traditional ROI sense.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
hddude
Racer

Originally Posted by Bradford
Not to be rude, but that question has come up here many many times in the past. Have you tried searching your question? Good luck.
Without repetitive topics on this 993 board, the board would die. Considering our cars are nearing 15 years old, there can't be many new questions.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Almost all Porsche fanatics view the 993 as a special car because of its position in Porsche history and its great looks. The widebodies are the rarest (and generally considered the best looking) of the 993breed, so they will always be sought after even if not "collectible" in the sense that an ultra-rare car is.

Personally, I think my 993C2S is a really cool car and a relative bargain (even at the C2S premium) compared to other Porsches that people generally consider a "special" or somewhat special car.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hddude
Without repetitive topics on this 993 board, the board would die. Considering our cars are nearing 15 years old, there can't be many new questions.
Oh yeah? How about the engine tray? I bet that hasn't been discussed.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Oh yeah? How about the engine tray? I bet that hasn't been discussed.
What oil should I use?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Safemoney
Racer

Why shouldn't I just by a 996? Isn't that more car for the money???

(there is no smiley for sarcasm)

Quick Reply: C4S v. C2S values