Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 vs 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

the problem i see with the 993 compared to the 964 is that a 993 can look so bland or really nice depending on how the car is setup. Thanks all I guess just personal preference on the look and i like the tougher look of the headlights.

Also see here some love the C4 964 and others the C2 964. I don't think anything mechanical just some don't like the driving habits.. I saw the original motorweek review and they loved the C4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAfLzUDGiw
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

now the 993 test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAfLzUDGiw
Almost a second slower 0-60 and quarter mile
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the same 964 link as in the previous post, this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62wMHP23N-M

Here's another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lzcyZAhVwU

Drive all the models that interest you, and see what your heart decides. Then find the best example in your price range.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
now the 993 test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAfLzUDGiw
Almost a second slower 0-60 and quarter mile
Not to be argumentative, but these numbers are meaningless. Porsche notoriously understates time, car rags are extremely aggressive with their times (no hesitation to wear out or blow a clutch), and comparing two motorweek reports four years apart, different drivers, driving conditions, etc., shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Both cars are great, but significantly more hp and torque, while keep the weight virtually the same will translate to the 993 being quicker.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

MY 2cennts, they are both great cars, I prefer the looks of the 993 and the numerous mechanical improvements used there but noot on the 964

$ wise the 964 will be cheaper to buy and do light mods on but much more expensive to do majors
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marco8
Both cars are great, but significantly more hp and torque, while keep the weight virtually the same will translate to the 993 being quicker.
Not to mention that both are plenty fast enough to get in trouble with, modded or unmodded. For the average street driver (may the OP forgive me if he's a track hotshot ) performance doesn't seem like the deciding factor.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had both and liked both but for whatever it's worth my mechanic who has 40 years of Porsche experience believes the 993 is a much improved car, one example being the oil leaks that plague many 964's. Styling-wise, the 964 suffers from the odd bumpers, which seem to have been last-minute additions to comply with gov't regulations and don't blend in well with the car's design. Resale prices have also tended to favor the 993, which suggest the majority of buyers agree with me. Now if you had said 964 v. 996, I'd take the 964 hands down.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by hddude
I have had both and liked both but for whatever it's worth my mechanic who has 40 years of Porsche experience believes the 993 is a much improved car, one example being the oil leaks that plague many 964's. Styling-wise, the 964 suffers from the odd bumpers, which seem to have been last-minute additions to comply with gov't regulations and don't blend in well with the car's design. Resale prices have also tended to favor the 993, which suggest the majority of buyers agree with me. Now if you had said 964 v. 996, I'd take the 964 hands down.
Now we are getting subjective.

The early 74 911 bumpers were add ons and done hastily. Everyone has their opinion but I find the 964 bumpers to be a major improvement over the earlier 911 bumpers. There a number of styling ques i feel Porsche dropped the ball with on the 993. No need to bash the 964 when the 993 has it's own transitions that don't work. Like any of these cars adding splitters wings and other accents will make them more attractive but looks are subjective and I find the 964's look to be superior to the 993 but that is me. I am not saying the 993 is ugly I am one of those that prefer the 964 over the 993 but still appreciate the beauty of the 993.

Resale prices are high because it is a newer model not because it looks better or is better. The upside down bell curve has been around Porsche's since they were first introduced. The 964 has held it's pricing relatively constant for the past 5 years as I have watched the 993 values drop, although not as dramatically as some models they are still dropping. Especially the 993TT prices have now fallen at or below the pricing for the 964 turbo 3.6. The fact is the 993 is a newer car and it has yet to hit bottom the 964 is at bottom and will start to see a rise in value as nice clean examples become harder to find. the RSA is still holding its value strong.

Look at your carrera 3.2's these cars are very pricey and are selling not to far off MSRP. You will find in a few years that 964 and 993 pricing won't be to far apart. They are both stellar performers and both have their pros and cons. Looks are subjective and what is in favor today might not be tomorrow.

Like everyone said buy a good clean example of either and you won't be disappointed. The best part of any of these cars is if you buy wisely you should get a few years of good use and sell it for what you paid no matter what model.

As far as you mechanic i don't know who he is but I can send you to an equal number of mechanics that have just as much experience and praise the 964. most of the time they are blowing wind up your butt and will like any car you own the best. The 993 has issues too and to be honest other than the 6 speed which I hate the gearing on I find very little difference sitting behind the wheel while driving one vs the other. The 993 is a little more compliant over bumpy roads has slightly faster turn in but other than that it is hard to tell one from the other from behind the wheel.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Look at your carrera 3.2's these cars are very pricey and are selling not to far off MSRP.
From memory, my customers with the newest cars in '87-88 had paid north of 50K for 911s of that era for regular coupes, when it was all said and done. Crazy money, compared to what things go for today.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Yeah and on the second motor week test for the 95 993 the price went done by $5,000 dollars. I guess they either needed more sales or started using cheaper parts? Maybe more plastic in the interior?

I am just kidding just trying to get everyone going. I believe and hope I found my next car a nice 964. Love th elook and style of both just different. Both have their pluses and minus and the thing I hear all the tim about the 964 is the leak, but if that has been corrected and seems to have been by porsche in 91 from the factory then no more problems. and truly has no 993 leaked? If it has not one time in its life it has just never been filled up with oil.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get what the budget allows you to have, as long as the PPI is good. You will enjoy either one, trust me, I've gone through all the air cooled generations of Porsche and there's not one I didn't love. I can't have them all, that's why I have what I have; curiosity brought me from one to another, not being unhappy with the previous. I still love my 930 more than any, with all the bad rap about expensive maintenance, old technology, etc.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:16 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2 Major 993 Improvements (I would put these in the objective group):

1. Multi-link rear suspension vastly superior to old style trailing arm set-up.
2. Mass air flow superior to the old style air flow meter (better throttle response).
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Yeah and on the second motor week test for the 95 993 the price went done by $5,000 dollars. I guess they either needed more sales or started using cheaper parts? Maybe more plastic in the interior?

I am just kidding just trying to get everyone going. I believe and hope I found my next car a nice 964. Love th elook and style of both just different. Both have their pluses and minus and the thing I hear all the tim about the 964 is the leak, but if that has been corrected and seems to have been by porsche in 91 from the factory then no more problems. and truly has no 993 leaked? If it has not one time in its life it has just never been filled up with oil.
The early 964's did have the dual mass flywheel problem but your looking at a car with a LWF so you should be perfect.

The 993 was the first of the streamlined assembly approach Porsche took from the Japanese. more parts were outsourced and production time was reduced to less than half of what it took to build a 964.

Originally Posted by jmarch
2 Major 993 Improvements (I would put these in the objective group):

1. Multi-link rear suspension vastly superior to old style trailing arm set-up.
2. Mass air flow superior to the old style air flow meter (better throttle response).
I would have to say you are again being subjective. Throttle response is not an issue with the 964if anything it was the exhaust that is easily modified that caused any hesitation and as far as the rear suspension if you can find the one in a few who can adjust the rear suspension it has some advantages but I have yet to truly experience them. It makes for a slightly smoother ride only over wash board type roads but both cars need suspension work to bring them to their full potential.

I think we are getting carried away. No need to defend the 993 it is a fabulous car and so is the 964. Both similar yet different in subtle ways.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:27 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

jmarch heard positive and neg about the suspension just that it is more complex and almost impossible to align. and harder to mod but feels a bit better
Old 05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

This link was posted over on the 964 thread on this topic,

964 vs 993

It is well worth reading, go through and see the system by system differences, pick out whats important to you and your purposes.

Quick Reply: 964 vs 993