Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Next Gen Porsche Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 993 is quite impressive. The first thing out of someone's mouth is man your car is fast. I tell them actually my last car was a lot faster. And they are confused. But I tell them look wise and fun driving wise this is much better. Not to mention there really aren't many places to drive high HP to weight cars. They still love the 993 since its amazingly sexy.

My GF keeps noticing all these guys turning their heads looking at the "car?". And says how my car gets more looks than pretty girls.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
ga993
Rennlist Member

I was a senior in high school when the movie Against All Odds came out. This was my first exposure to a Porsche (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4pyXLnhOU). I wasn't impressed w/ the Ferrari as I had seen Magnum PI drive one of those for years. But, the Porsche 911, ahhhh...I feel in love. I thought it was the most exotic thing I had ever seen (except for maybe that hot chick in the movie w/ Jeff Bridges, Rachel Ward)
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ga993
I was a senior in high school when the movie Against All Odds came out. This was my first exposure to a Porsche (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4pyXLnhOU).
I love that scene. Would never attempt, but still a great street racing scene. Thanks for sharing I haven't seen that for a long time. I want to go for a drive now.

Mike
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 420 Posts

As I pulled onto the subdivision's blvd a couple of weeks ago, a 6 YO boy on the bike path along the side of the opposite lane started to get off his bike. It seemed like he was just kinda stumbling along slowly into the street as I approached, so I slowed down. The slower I went, the more it seemed like the kid was about ready to dart across the street and into my path. I'm going about 5MPH as I pass by the kid who, by now, is standing in the middle of the opposing lane and staring at me. Suddenly, a huge smile appears, his eyes light up and he gives me two big "thumbs up". If I would have had the time, I would have had him lead me to his house to get parent's permission to take him for a ride around the block.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, there are way too many exotics and much, much nicer cars than a 993. Nobody looks twice at these cars. I'm driving a junker.

But I like being anonymous.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I drive a 964 and gets looks all the time from motorists and people on the street. The first look is, wow cool car, next look is, that guy looks young to be driving a car like that. Whenever I run into a 993 I am like a kid in a candy shop I love looking at them and listening to their engines. Its always fun looking at any Porsche!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
My GF keeps noticing all these guys turning their heads looking at the "car?". And says how my car gets more looks than pretty girls.
That's just cuz there are more pretty girls around here then 993s.

They come here from around the world to be discovered and be an "act-----ress" (say like Pauly Shore). When I first met the girl who would become my wife, an early question of mine was, "so do you have a head shot, or what." I figured I could save us both a lot of time.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

What about 911s

Originally Posted by curve lover
Great thread. Thanks for reminding me: some of my favorite Porsche memories involve the incredibly pure enthusiasm of youngsters. Often the unique, graceful lines of Porsches - especially 993s & 356s - communicate through generations at places & situations I could never predict.

We've all had hearfelt compliments from peers & older, but I always cherish the unpolished, raw emotion of kiddos.

[Related, recent thread about similarly-positive reactions: 993 and Attention!]
Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
+1 ... except it's really her they're looking at, so I tell her that, but she rarely believes it
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 348 Posts

Once when I had my Beck 550 Spyder, I had a kid drag his mom halfway across a grocery store parking lot to look at my car. He actually knew what it was but didn't know until I told him it was a replica....Didn't matter to him...He just loved that little car.

His mom said he was 7 and had been car crazy since he was 2....Said nobody else in the family even liked cars and she didn't know "where he got it."

I asked him if he wanted to sit in the car and he said "Sure! Will you hold these?"

He opened his hands In one was a Hot Wheels Chaparral 2D Coupe and in the other was a Hot Wheels 917K.

I said, "You into CanAm?" and he went into about 5 minutes about Chaparrals, 917s, McLarens, Lolas and such. It was pretty amazing...

Last edited by TMc993; 04-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 AM
jungleboy
Pro

I remember being these kids... gawking at every Porsche that drove by. My parents used to say that I had some kind of radar for 911s, we could be on a highway at speed across 5 lanes going the opposite direction in a inconspicuous color would be a 911 and I would pick it out. I used to walk into dealerships and look at the latest models and salesman would actually entertain me... those were the days. I even remember telling one of the guys that I would be back to buy one. Then this commercial came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU

I felt like Porsche had delved into my past. Fell in love with the car all over again.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lobed the stories about the 7 year old and that commercial as awesome. I had a guy, who I have known a few years if had never seen my 993, tell me last weekend About how he used to save up his money as a kid and had these hardback Porsche books he bought back then. I wanted to ask if he would sell them, but wouldn't want to steal his past.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts

A neighbor's 3 yr old walks by my says, "Ooooh, looks like Sally."
Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Seeing that ad (above) I noticed another Porsche ad from Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVNLcSCx9o&NR=1

I don't know what's better that this ad featured a 911 and the emotions it stirs or the fact that Porsche used the rock band Smashing Pumpkins as background music?!?! It brought a tear to my eye! And yes I'm soon to be one of the new generation of Porsche owners...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Seeing that ad (above) I noticed another Porsche ad from Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVNLcSCx9o&NR=1

I don't know what's better that this ad featured a 911 and the emotions it stirs or the fact that Porsche used the rock band Smashing Pumpkins as background music?!?! It brought a tear to my eye! And yes I'm soon to be one of the new generation of Porsche owners...
Ohh that's just wrong!! I remember that one! Here's one that brings a tear to your eye in more ways than one. I am sure some of you have seen it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iWCl...eature=related

Quick Reply: OT: Next Gen Porsche Owners