Sponsored by:

Major Engine Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Engine Failure?

I've seen a few engine failure threads on the 996/997 boards (not trying to stir anything up), but can't recall ever seeing a thread on a 993 total engine failure. I actually did a quick search and turned up nothing (probably just a poor search) in the 993 section, but found at least a couple major engine failures in other sections (996,996,964,928,etec.)

So, surely there are some people out there that have had catastrophic failures with 993 engines? How often does this happen and what are the most likely causes? I would think with all the valve guide discussions, there might be some engine failures resulting from this issue being ignored.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 482 Posts

Never heard of any unexplained failures. Definitely some out there involving the "money shift" LOL.

As far as 996s go, it's pretty sad that when looking for my 996 last year one of the big selling features of the car I bought was a "replacement" engine 3000miles prior to my purchase.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Something with the alloy that Porsche used in the engine caused a few engines to crack and fail. This tended to happen when the car was just past its warranty period, many disgruntled owners sold off their cars at a loss.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

These engines are really strong, the only weak spot is the rod bolts...that is why its a recommended upgrade to take them to ARP bolts when every the bottom end is open. The factory bolts can get stretched on a mishift or over-rev. But, on a stock engine that is driven within its parameters, its very rare to have "total engine failures". Most of the problems seem to be either top end (guides), SAI issues, or some sensor/electrical issues. The bottom ends are rock solid. Of course, if you drop a valve because you drove the car wayyyyy beyond where you should have done the top end, and the end of a valve drops into a combustion chamber, all bets are off.....

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Major Engine Failure?