Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 and Attention!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lady asked me if my car (a cab) was the new VW beetle.

I said no, it's the old beetle.... the really old one.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Great thread.
I was picking up my daughter from middle school one day, and with tons of kids milling about and walking in all directions, there was this one little 12 or 13 year old boy with round glasses just standing there in a complete trance with his jaw as far to the ground as it could get, staring at my shiny black 993. I smiled and waved but he was hypnotized.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:38 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thing about the Midwest...very few Porsche's. I get plenty of looks and the occasional ricer "rev up" next to me.
Its a good thing , bad thing , not having plenty of 911's around....good that the attention is there, and bad that there isn't many fellow owners to chat with.

Jason

96 C4S
Old 04-26-2009, 11:44 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I never notice if my car gets any stares when I'm on the street . . . because I hardly ever notice if anyone is looking at me.
Mark-- Same here. When I'm walking around, though, I'm the extrovert that can't avoid making eye contact with everyone. But I'm completely different behind the wheel - focused on driving, avoiding gazes. It's the people with me that can't get over how so many necks whip around to look at the P-car, or back rows of sedans have everyone's cell phone camera flying out of pockets when we get near.
Originally Posted by ljugete
I too have people get really amazed when I tell them it is a 1995 911 (993) - they think its new!
Frank-- +1!!! Amazes me every time; so fun! It's their endearing amazement that makes it so sincere.

It doesn't happen regularly, but I occasionally have an employee at an auto business who sincerely thinks the 5-15 year-old Porsches are worth ~$100k, because of the way they look when well-maintained. That's especially unique because they usually have an otherwise good idea of what cars are worth. One of my joys is enlightening those smitten by them, but talking in the tone like you're a bazillionaire, with the fact that they can afford their own!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking 'thanks for the memories'

Originally Posted by Safemoney
Am I the only one that purposely drives slowly so that people WILL slow down and look at my car?
Trae-- I don't, but probably should for the free entertainment factor. It's when you have to stop or slow down that you can't miss car-fulls of gals squealing in your direction in that frequency range that can only be called teenage. ... or the testerone-filled lads in pimped-out racers who turn into humble & even sweet kids with awkwardly honest compliments as you pass each other at 15 miles an hour in stop & go traffic
... or the complete strangers who see you pulling behind them at stoplights, & motion out their window to instead pull beside them. You can guess she isn't an auto enthusiast, but is intrinsically attracted to the 993's unique curves, & then that connection has them telling you an enjoyable one-minute chapter of their life story & inviting you out -- all before the next green light
... or the car-guys, ages 15-80, who walk up at the gas pump, like a bee to honey; striking up pleasant conversations that routinely last half an hour+, finding folks who have their own amazing auto collections, & then traveling to car shows together
... or the boys & girls on the sidewalk at the stop light who just stare, then ask the cutest questions - it says something to be able to enrapture short-attention children with something from the otherwise boring realm of, gulp, adults!

I now recall when two friends took a convertible Porsche of mine out on a quiet Friday night in a small town. They had fun re-telling their 993 stories for months to come.

Classics like 993s connect in ways that provide incredible memories.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It took me the longest time to figure out that people were looking at my car.

I was starting to feel like Travis Bickel:

You lookin' at me? You lookin' at me? You lookin' at me? Then who the hell else are you lookin... you lookin at me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the f**k do you think you're lookin at? Oh yeah? OK.

It finally dawned on me that they were looking at the car.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 AM
travanx
Pro

To add, while at the beach while I was at a cafe with my GF, my car was able to get a girls phone number on its own all parked cute there. How do I give my car 5 for that?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
gary11
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I get more attention in the yellow peril than in my TT,the other day a guy with a CLK DTM no less had a 10min chat on the pumps at the petrol station ,made my day i can tell you!
old porsches are the best porsches,good how people actually do know when youve got the right one!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
To add, while at the beach while I was at a cafe with my GF, my car was able to get a girls phone number on its own all parked cute there. How do I give my car 5 for that?
That happened to me in college with my nicely restored orange '71 Karmann Ghia convertible. Yes I called, yes she came over. No I wasn't disappointed.

Quick Reply: 993 and Attention!