993 and Attention!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyT
A nice man on a motorcycle pulled next to me on the freeway last week, and gave me a thumbs up. He was wearing a cutoff Levi vest with "Hessians" on the back. I waved at the nice man.
that happened to me a while ago, but the nice man had blue lights and gave me a ticket!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Safemoney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that purposely drives slowly so that people WILL slow down and look at my car?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In SF I seldom get a second look in the 993, they're just too common around here. I also have a BRG E-type and that car gets thumbs up all the time.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts
Default You should probably get use to it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...verything.html
Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Duckman
Racer

Originally Posted by bart1
Ditto. My 993 attracts a ton more attention than my 968 (a great, and good looking, car in it's own right)
I still get stares and thumps up in my 968 a lot. Maybe as much as I do in my 993. Both draw attention.

As for ricers wanting to race--no way Jose. Two of them were street racing here the other evening and hit a mom and daughter combo in their family Mercedes sedan, killing both of them. The driver of the wrecked racer is in the hospital facing murder charges. They haven't found the other car or driver, yet, but they will. I wouldn't want to be either of them.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
In SF I seldom get a second look in the 993, they're just too common around here. I also have a BRG E-type and that car gets thumbs up all the time.
Same here in Newport Beach. Way too many Labo's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, Mercedes, Bentlys and Porsches for people to notice my little old 993.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duckman
I
As for ricers wanting to race--no way Jose. Two of them were street racing here the other evening and hit a mom and daughter combo in their family Mercedes sedan, killing both of them. The driver of the wrecked racer is in the hospital facing murder charges. They haven't found the other car or driver, yet, but they will. I wouldn't want to be either of them.
That's unfortunately becoming common these days. Too many Ricers with their noisy fart cans all over the place.

It's amazing that the people in the MB were killed and the Ricer survived(?) MBs are pretty damn safe (esp with the weight, multiple airbags, etc.) while those JDM style cars are tin-like and light(?)
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I get comments a lot. Last week I pulled into a parking space and a guy walks over and says "I love the way the cams sound in those turbo cars". He probably didn't even realize that I have different cams in my Turbo R ... or maybe he did!

My wife said "what did he say?" And something to the effect of how strange people are. And inquired about why random people always talk to me about my car. She just doesn't get it...
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I was out for a drive in my 993 yesterday and pulled off the road at a nice lookout (pictured in my avatar). Someone in a Boxster S pulled up beside me, got out and told me how much he loved my car. On the way home a couple in another Polar Silver 993 passed me and gave me the Porsche wave! Even though these cars are pretty common in Northern California, the real Porsche enthusiasts still notice and appreciate them.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
travanx
Pro

Around where I live, there are a ton of exotic cars. About a year ago I had seen every color of new Lambo around here. I notice people in the exotics still look over into my little old car. =) Most recent was some crazy fixed up no plates Aston Martin. The most strange thing is I have noticed mostly women driving 993's around here as well. I'm in Glendale.

BTW an RSX was the replacement for the Acura Integra that just never did very well. My dyno showed almost 300hp smog legal to the wheels, which made that thing a beast. I also did everything I could do to make the car lighter without sacrificing the interior, it was 2700 lbs from the factory. So going from a faster ricer type of car to my current slower 993 is interesting.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Same here in Newport Beach. Way too many Labo's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, Mercedes, Bentlys and Porsches for people to notice my little old 993.
Just yesterday I was at Fashion Island mall in Newport Beach. Too many Mercedes, BMWs to even count. We parked nose to nose with a new Maserati and there was a new smaller, sporty non-DB Aston down the row that I couldn't even identify about to get a door ding from a Saturn. Saw at least 2 993s driving and a white cab with a For Sale sign near Philips Auto on PCH. Lots of old white folks in Jags, too. They love them some Jaguar in N.B.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at an Autozone picking up some tools one night and 3 high school girls all said at the same time "Niiicee caaarr". Now if I could only have afforded the car in high school...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Black993
Drifting

Gas stations usually draw a crowd.
Took it to the auto parts store to get some stuff for the Suby, had an older guy talk to me about it, couldn't believe it was a 95

And today while installing the new suspension the guy mowing the neighbors yard across the street came over and had a chat about it.

The Suby gets a lot of attention too for some reason. I guess because they are not very common way down here in the Southeast???
Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
I was at an Autozone picking up some tools one night and 3 high school girls all said at the same time "Niiicee caaarr". Now if I could only have afforded the car in high school...
It would have been a terrible drive-in car. (if you're old enough to remember drive-ins??)
Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
It would have been a terrible drive-in car. (if you're old enough to remember drive-ins??)
Yeah, the damn shifter/e-brake would have gotten in the way.

Quick Reply: 993 and Attention!