Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone build model cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OT: Anyone build model cars?

It's been many years since I built a model car, but out of the blue, while watching the practice session for the Malaysian Grand Prix, I got a hankering to build one. Just wondering if anyone here builds model car kits and, if so, if they've got any pictures of their built models to share. Any suggestions for good Porsche kits, such as a 917 kit or a '73 RS kit? I used to favor Tamiya kits, but don't know if they're still of high quality or not.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Tania W
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a model builder...well a kit collector at the moment! Some of my built
models are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tlw/set...7601338245420/
For the 73RS the Fujimi Enthusiast kit is the way to go. I've got most of the Enthusiast series, from 356 through to 964 although none of them are built yet......
Tamiya do a nice 996 GT3 kit plus 996 Carrera and Boxster, but as for 993s, there are limited choices. Italeri did a couple...a Carrera and a Turbo, and Tamiya have a racing and "club-sport" version of the GT2. Tamiya and Hasegawa have recently re-released their 956/962 kits, and there is a Tamiya and Revell GT1. Fujimi have a number of racing Porsche kits of slightly dubious quality, but they also do a couple of nice Cayman kits. Their Historic Race Car kits of the 917 (several different versions) are also great.
Tamiya are probably still king of the hill, but the Fujimi Enthusiast kits can give great results with a ittle work.
Check out Hobbylink Japan at www.hlj.com for what's available.....there are many other mail order sites, but they display most of the kits.
Picture of some of my stash below.....one day, if I live long enough, I may build them all!
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2009, 07:00 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Tania,

Wow...you are addicted to model collection. Is this the new place to invest money? Anyway, maybe a bit too much bunge jumping.

Mark
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Tania W
Racer

Just a little bit crazy......
I don't think it could ever be called an investment, although many of the kits were bought substantially cheaper than they are priced now. Some of the more valuable "rarer" kits lose their value when one of the big manufacturers does a new tooling of the same topic.....for years the Union 917 kits were the holy grail, but then Fujimi produced their 917 kits with more modern production techniques and a nicer finished product. Union kits are now much less sought-after.
I also have a large collection of 1/43 scale metal Formula 1 kits...these are mainly by an Italian company called Tameo...they are just like jewellry...beautifully manufactured and presented and go together almost as easily as an injection moulded plastic kit. Unfortunately their quality is reflected in their price!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Your collection of models is staggering! Thanks for the info on the Fujimi models, I'll have to check them out. I've got a great hobby store pretty close to home that I think I'll visit today and see what they've got.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[speechless]

Originally Posted by Tania W
For the 73RS the Fujimi Enthusiast kit is the way to go. I've got most of the Enthusiast series, from 356 through to 964 although none of them are built yet......
Tamiya do a nice 996 GT3 kit plus 996 Carrera and Boxster, but as for 993s, there are limited choices. Italeri did a couple...a Carrera and a Turbo, and Tamiya have a racing and "club-sport" version of the GT2. Tamiya and Hasegawa have recently re-released their 956/962 kits, and there is a Tamiya and Revell GT1. Fujimi have a number of racing Porsche kits of slightly dubious quality, but they also do a couple of nice Cayman kits. Their Historic Race Car kits of the 917 (several different versions) are also great.
Tamiya are probably still king of the hill, but the Fujimi Enthusiast kits can give great results with a ittle work.
Check out Hobbylink Japan at www.hlj.com for what's available.....there are many other mail order sites, but they display most of the kits.
Picture of some of my stash below.....one day, if I live long enough, I may build them all!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

haven't built any since 1999 but I have a couple 962s and a SauberMercedes LeMans winner in boxes for when I get laid off ;-)

here's what I have built .....

Benetton Ford engine cover is signed by teammates Johnny Herbert and Alessandro Nannini

Williams Renault engine cover is signed by Thierry Boutsen

Leyton House Judd engine cover is signed by Mauricio Gugelmin
Attached Images      
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sweet models, both of you!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful models. The signed engine covers are really cool, a very unique idea.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 353 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Tania W

Tania!!

I wish we'd known you collected plastic kits. We sold part of our model kit collection to a man who will be selling them off for a profit. We sold them for about half of what they were worth. We would have rather sent them to you for even less had we known you were such an avid collector. We still have hundreds that Robert is keeping waiting for the day that he can start building again.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 353 Likes on 157 Posts

Here's a picture of our model collection, ALL PORSCHE'S! Robert built about a quarter of them when he was in the model buildling business. It was called Fast Lane Scale Models. He built not only the models, but Diorama's too. One of his biggest customers was Jerry Seinfeld. He also built for James Spader and others.

Everything you see in this picture is for sale, except for the Firesuit. That's mine
Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Tania W
Racer

Wow JoAnne,
A truely impressive display! I never really started out to be a collector...things just snowballed a bit. My Dad built model aircraft, and I followed in his steps and built a few myself. One I got involved in the aviation industry, aircraft models sort of lost their appeal so I started with cars.....Ferrari stuff initially, then I bought a Tamiya F189 kit like the one in DB_NCs picture. After I built it, I decided it really needed a McLaren companion, so started down the slippery Tamiya 1/20 F1 slope. There were few enough of them to want to collect them all, but they kept adding to the range! Then the road car thing got out of hand and then the 1/43 scale kits started it all over again.
I have several "themes" to my collection....New Zealand Drivers, Woman Drivers, Jordan F1 Cars, The 1998 Australain F1 GP Grid (our first attendance at a GP)...all in 1/43, but my plastic kits are a real mixture. I really enjoy building them, but life seems to have been so busy that it's been a while since anything was actually finished.
I have friend in NC who is a modelling guru and she puts me to shame....she prints her own decals, re-pops parts in resin etc etc. I'm just an "assembler" in comparison!

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone build model cars?