Sponsored by:

Replacing Headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

In response to Harry L's post:
I have never had Litronics so I'm not sure of the exact physical difference, but the book 'Porsche 993, The Essential Companion' compares the two systems. It describes the differences between Litronic lights vs standard headlights on page 376, "The Litronic system uses a high-performance gas discharge light bulb, a lens with diaphragm and a poly-ellipsoid reflector." Not sure what the 'diaphragm' looks like. The reflector shape and position looks different in the two photo's shown in the book. Anyone else know more?
JP
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, JP.

Since I will soon be buying a new bumper cover (Euro NB), clear turn signal lenses (standard Euro length) and foglights, I am planning on buying new headlight lenses to complete the freshening - so I sent an e-mail to Sunset asking them the question. I will let everyone know what they say.

-Harry
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Here's Daniel Stern's response to my e-mail regarding Osram Night-Breaker H1 bulbs:

Jon Paul Phillips wrote:
>" Hi once again, Daniel,
> Regarding my original question below and your excellent answer and recommendations, I have another question. Through Candlepower, I sent for the Osram night-breaker bulbs because of their high Lumen output (1780). I almost didn't buy them because the bulbs are tinted blue on the base and tips with the mid-section being clear glass. Did Sylvania do this to mimic HID/Xenon color? If they had left them completely clear, would they put out more useable light? I looked for the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs you recommended, but they didn't offer them as H1 bulbs, so I just went by Lumens output of the bulbs in the H1 list to make my decision. I hope I didn't make a mistake....
> Thanks,
> Jon paul Phillips"

Daniel Stern's response:
"Hi, JPP.

Output might be slightly(!) higher without the blue tip and ring, but the blue in this case does not significantly affect light in the beam. It's just there to create colour fringe effects at the extremities of the beam. Still the highest output H1 on the market; you didn't make an error.
Best,
DS"

So, the highest lumen output H1 bulb still succumbs to marketing pressure. I wonder what demographic is driving that ......
JP
Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PET lists the same lens for the Litronic vs. Halogen lights. The housings are different but it looks like that's related to a provision for the ignitor which resides in the light housing on the OEM HID system (note the ignitor is in the housing but the ballast is in the trunk...on non OEM designs these are usually combined). As such replacing the halogen bulb with an HID unit in our cars should bring it up to the Litronic standard although it is still probably technically illegal since nothing other than the factory system is officially DOT approved. Bottom line is I think we can each decide if this mod is appropriate for our 993s but trying to put an HID system on some other car with a low tech halogen reflector and lens system will undoubtably blind most oncoming drivers and create a road hazard, which shall we say is also a "no brainer" but perhaps not in the way Vern1 meant
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
PET lists the same lens for the Litronic vs. Halogen lights...
Interesting, thanks.

What are the best vendors for HID kits these days? The kits are so cheap anyway, I'd rather find a vendor that supports their product and has been around for awhile, even if it's a bit more $$. (Seems like there are an awful lot of lowest-common-denominator sellers on eBay for this type of thing.)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vern1
I still cant figure out why people just wouldnt put in an after market HID slim ballast system. They fit in the headlight unit on the 993 and there is no arguing that the light output is vastly superior to the standard units. Also I still dont understand why someone would pay $2000 for the OEM litronics (older technology, needs to go outside the headlight unit) when you can get a decent aftermarket HID set for well under $200 (and mine have a lifetime warranty on all parts including the bulbs - no brainer to me)??
What do you mean by the unit fits inside the headlight?
The ballast fits inside the headlight??
Do you have a picture of where you put it?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to agree with Vern1. $2k versus $150 or so...

The slim ballast fits totally inside the headlight enclosure. I just noticed I have to adjust my drivers side aim a little bit, so I'll grab a quick picture of mine and post it once I chill with this cold Heineken for a minute.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is the bottom line ... the HID retrofit kits are the best lighting technology available for our cars and the headlight is designed for a Xenon light source.

Anything else is a compromise at best and a waste of money at worst ...
Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Bought these back in November of '07 and paid $149. H1 4500k and haven't had a problem with them since. It's a cozy fit inside the headlight enclose but not tricky to get the ballast and wires in there at all.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Is it all plug and play? or do you have to do cutting and splicing wires?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Also who has a brand they have experiance with thats good?
Cause I know there are millions on ebay.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Is it all plug and play? or do you have to do cutting and splicing wires?
Depending on the kit that you get, you may need to file down the slot that the base of the bulb sits in. I had to do this on both kits I have installed (one for myself, one on another car). Its very easy to do and is still reversible should you not like the new HIDs (which I can't imagine would happen)
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Cincy_Ron wrote: "Bought these back in November of '07 and paid $149. H1 4500k and haven't had a problem with them since. It's a cozy fit inside the headlight enclose but not tricky to get the ballast and wires in there at all."

Still can't figure out the 'quote' function, can you tell.....

Hey Ron,
Slim ballast that fits inside the light enclosure is great. What brand are those? I've seen 'Klight' systems offered by T&R lighting, is that what these are?
Also, do these kits replace both H1 bulbs in each headlight unit?
Thanks,
JP
Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I got my slim ballast kit, with 4300 Kelvin capsules, from Xenon Depot in Ontario. Paid about $200 Cdn. including everything. I'm having my tech install it at the end of the month, when the car comes out of storage.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPP
Cincy_Ron wrote: "Bought these back in November of '07 and paid $149. H1 4500k and haven't had a problem with them since. It's a cozy fit inside the headlight enclose but not tricky to get the ballast and wires in there at all."

Still can't figure out the 'quote' function, can you tell.....

JP
Click the quotation marks on the lower right of the post you'd like to quote, type bellow the [ QUOTE ] tags

Quick Reply: Replacing Headlight lens