Sponsored by:

Rear Fender Shields

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Ed Eubanks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark:

Don't know about Cactus, but I'd love to learn how you pull the templates, and cut the material.

Thanks a bunch

Ed
Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

So what is the install process? Soapy water and a squeegee?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Got mine from Pelican a year ago or so. My 95s being done by a friend tomorrow. It was quite a mess underneath after removing the passenger side one, probably there since day one. The driver's side was relatively new when I got it so I'm hoping it'll be a bit easier. It's amazing how much new guards, lenses and a new rear reflector (FINALLY!) improve the looks.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I must the only fool to buy OEM. Man did I feel like I had been done! $75US ea plus shipping. It's almost laughable now when i think about how stupid i was.
Ended up costing me $300NZ.
But now at least I have a template so I never have to get ripped again.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

FWIW, I re-did the ones on my NB with excellent results using 14mil clear material, making templates b4 removing the old. Used plain old brown paper for templates. The big problem was removing the old stuff. It was really old and tenacious. Didn't want to screw up the paint. Found out about a glass installer's tool called a Pilkington scraper. Its a hard milky plastic tool about 6" long with a bevel like a chisel at one end. Then I got a tip about RAPIDTAC remover (www.rapidtac.com), usually used by vinyl graphic sign companies. Found a local one that used it and bought a pint off him. (Careful, the stuff may melt some plastic containers). In combination with the Pilkington scraper, it's awesome!
For application, the installers use two different solutions. For normal application of relatively flat surfaces, they use water in a spray bottle with just a few drops of baby shampoo added. For difficult areas that won't lay down, they use water in a spray bottle with a little Isopropyl Alcohol in it. Always keep the material and your fingers wet or you'll get fingerprints on the tacky side. Spray the clean body surface wet, apply and position the film, then use a clean, flat, hard plastic paddle to squeegee the water out. Start from the center and work it out to the edges. Keep the outer surface wet to avoid scratching it. Good Luck!

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 03-28-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine at Pelican.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trackrat summed it up well.

You make a slip solution with baby shampoo as he described. You can add a little rubbing alchohol but beware, it will cause the glue to set up faster. The more alhohol, the faster it sets up.

Looks like I am going to order some material and make a few sets.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably need to do this as well... suspect mine are original and have some marks that I can't get out.

Anyone w/ a Guards Red car put the black ones on ala the older 911s?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Eubanks
Mark:

Don't know about Cactus, but I'd love to learn how you pull the templates, and cut the material.

Thanks a bunch

Ed

Ed,
Cutting the material cleanly is the fun part.
I made templates out of 1/4" marine grade plywood (no voids). From there it is just a matter of practice. The hard part is getting a smooth, clean cut all around.

One caution, be very sure to get 14 mil guards. There are suppliers out there selling thinnner stuff for less and it is not sufficient to protect this part of the car. It takes too many large hits... the thinner 8 mil material is good for the front end and is easier to apply over curved surfaces but no good for the rear.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the Sunset route, and used Rapidtac, not the removerm but their application stuff, its like soapy water with alcohol in it. It allows positioning and then dries fast.. Came out great.

Oddest thing was I had absolutely no problem getting the old ones off, even though the plastic was cracked in spots due to age and sun exposure. Both sides took 15 minutes total with googone and a plastic scraper knife.

I think factory white and silver come colored and the others are clear because when the clear stuff yellows sooner and really shows up on those colors
Old 03-28-2009, 04:19 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amfab
Oddest thing was I had absolutely no problem getting the old ones off, even though the plastic was cracked in spots due to age and sun exposure. Both sides took 15 minutes total with googone and a plastic scraper knife.
well you obviously made a deal with the devil

mine were very difficult to remove, no such luck.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My (black) car never had any guards on it when I bought it and is reasonably stone chipped, I was hoping to cover most of them by making my own black guards. Is this a good idea and does anyone have a template they could mail/email me?

Cheers

Lee
Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Trackrat summed it up well.

You make a slip solution with baby shampoo as he described. You can add a little rubbing alchohol but beware, it will cause the glue to set up faster. The more alhohol, the faster it sets up.

Looks like I am going to order some material and make a few sets.
Sweet! You guys should hire me and I'll just think up new things for you two to make for us
Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Ed,
Cutting the material cleanly is the fun part.
I made templates out of 1/4" marine grade plywood (no voids). From there it is just a matter of practice. The hard part is getting a smooth, clean cut all around.

One caution, be very sure to get 14 mil guards. There are suppliers out there selling thinnner stuff for less and it is not sufficient to protect this part of the car. It takes too many large hits... the thinner 8 mil material is good for the front end and is easier to apply over curved surfaces but no good for the rear.
Mark,

Interested in whipping out your templates, cutting me a clear set, and selling them to me??
Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Sweet! You guys should hire me and I'll just think up new things for you two to make for us
Hmm... Official Product Thinker Upper?
Not a bad idea.
Actually, you are more of a motivator. These are things I planned on doing at some point and you make me work. Motivational Speaker?

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Mark,

Interested in whipping out your templates, cutting me a clear set, and selling them to me??
Mark,
Sure, I just ordered enough to get do 4 or 5 sets. Darin, Cactizzle (Motivational Speaker) and my black car... Mine will take some time since it involves making a template first and I need to deal with the cut required for the wide body.
Send me an email if you want so I don't forget!
fdmotorsports@comcast.net

EDIT: I just realized yours is an S... ruh roh. OK, I will need to work out some things first and test on mine. Not sure how long you want to wait... let me know.

Quick Reply: Rear Fender Shields