993 Forum 1995-1998

Stereo Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jainbaby
No problem, the new AVX40 is very fast and the ipod user function is awesome.
I can't decide whether to buy an iPod touch and use that in the car, or just use a USB HD instead, What are the tradeoffs? I would assume most owners run the USB cabling into the glove box?

And a couple general 993 stereo n00b questions:

1) Where do amps typically get mounted, under seat, trunk?

2) The component speaker sets I've seen include the tweets and 5.25's with crossovers. ex. http://www.woofersetc.com/p4168/130K...t-Speakers.htm

How do the 6x4's in the rear fit into this picture? Are there any that go low that would supplement the sound that can fit the 993? (I'd like to avoid sub enclosures.)
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM
tlwood99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a iPod touch sitting on the shelf in the left door pocket, connected by a USB cord to the AUX in of my Nak HU. I have an extra couple of feet of cord so that I can lay the iPod in my lap while driving.

Amps typically go in the trunk. Some amps will fit under the passenger seat, but its a very tight fit, and they are a real pain to install. I don't use the trunk, so I had no problem putting on the floor of the trunk, as opposed to contructing something higher up. Go to www.caraudioinnovations.com for some pictures of options.

I'm using Focal 165vr's. 6.5" components. They sounded good as is, but I went ahead and put in subwoofers.

For the 4X6, you are pretty much limited to Kenwoods because they are about the only speakers that come with grills (factory grills only work with the Nokias). They only work as fill.

Hope this helps.

Tom W.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlwood99
... Hope this helps.

Tom W.
Thanks Tom, yes, very helpful indeed. That site is great, the examples are really good. I wonder if the mid speakers in the following system could be made to fit into the 6x4" recesses somehow.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1171/270V...-Component.htm

I think I'd be plenty happy with that, down to 40Hz is sufficient for my needs and having a 3-way component system (designed to work as one, all timbre-matched, etc.,) would be ideal.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made JL 5x7s fit in the rear shelf. Anything bigger will be tough. There is not much room/depth to work with.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Duckman
Racer

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
My 2 cents....I was looking at Eclipse then decided to scratch that and go with the soon to be released Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 (the model number says it all) ...Illumination adjustment to match the interior...blue tooth, ipod, etc...

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...eiver/KDC-X993

Im going with a four channel Audison amp and Hertz speakers....
J.B.H., where did you get your KDC -X993? I can't find anyone who stocks them. A local auto audio shop said they're brand new and they have received any, yet. They'll call me when they arrive but......... Also, their price is $299. That's not over the top but by the time I get a couple of necessary accessories (sat radio, interface, cables), have it installed, and pay sales tax, it's about five bills.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:38 PM
tlwood99
Intermediate

Duckman, J.B.H. wrote that he decided to go with "the soon to released KDC-X993..." It's not out yet, but looks to be a nice looking 993 appropriate unit.

Mongrelcat, I am no expert. But FWIW, I don't know if you can split the components like you suggest, but more important, I very much doubt that you are going to get as good a sound from the 4" midrange speakers bouncing off the rear glass from behind you, as opposed to next to you in the door sills. If you wanted to stay with Focals front and back, you could go a two piece component up front with their 4" units in the back. A lot of work I understand in installing 4" speakers back there, and I don't think they will add much. My $60 kenwoods do nothing more than add fill. Could do with or without them. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+KFC-4675.html

Tom W.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlwood99
Mongrelcat, I am no expert. But FWIW, I don't know if you can split the components like you suggest...
Sorry, do you mean the 4's should mount in the door, along with the 6.5's?

Originally Posted by matt777
I made JL 5x7s fit in the rear shelf. Anything bigger will be tough. There is not much room/depth to work with.
How much trouble did you have? Any pics? Did you use these?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C257...ures_and_specs

... or another model?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Duckman...dont have it yet...ordered it from Rod over at Car Audio Innovations in Cali..
Yeah, I dont have it yet..but I think they were just released so should have it soon enough....It does get up there with the sat radio...im looking at 300 hundo but then getting the HD radio..im not going with the sat radio...I think you pay a little more for this radio but it has a Parrot designed built in, hands free blue tooth..which is the industry leader...big difference. I think it also has like 60 illumination variations...so should match nice...3 lines of text...complete phone address book...Full ipod playlist stuff etc...But most of all kenwood is bullett proof and has become the industry leader...leaving behind alpine and others...I didnt believe it at first but if you do some research you'll find it...Im combining it with the Audison SRx4 and Hertz HSK 165's..should work out nicely.....
Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
How much trouble did you have? Any pics? Did you use these?

Thanks.
Those look like them. I think JL only has one 5x7. I lost all of my install pics due to a defective hard drive. I had to do some cutting and trimming of the rear shelf to fit them in but it wasn't too hard. Also, the JLs don't come with grills so I had to buy some cheapo 5x7s ($30) to get grills which needed some modifying to fit. They do fill out the sound and have a little more base than my ADI 6.5s but I really want proper subs someday. I just did the upgrade this winter so I haven't properly tried the system out on the road.

Found my post w/pics https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-speakers.html

Last edited by matt777; 03-28-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Someone mentioned in a previous post in this thread that not many 4x6s fit under the factory covers on the back deck. Cool trick - flip the bottom cover over (the one that goes under the speaker frame). Gives you just a tad more lift when you snap on the top cover. I was able to get those Infinitys in there with the tweeter mounted on a stalk.

But in the end, the 4x6s don't really help the sound much... 8^(

dave
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Recently, I added a powered sub to my car. Mounted it behind the passenger seat. Have NakCD400/Arc Audio Amp/focals all around. Sound was OK but needed bass. What a difference.
chuck
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by csertich
Recently, I added a powered sub to my car. Mounted it behind the passenger seat. Have NakCD400/Arc Audio Amp/focals all around. Sound was OK but needed bass. What a difference.
chuck
Which sub did you buy?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Duckman
Racer

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
Hey Duckman...dont have it yet...ordered it from Rod over at Car Audio Innovations in Cali..
Yeah, I dont have it yet..but I think they were just released so should have it soon enough....It does get up there with the sat radio...im looking at 300 hundo but then getting the HD radio..im not going with the sat radio...I think you pay a little more for this radio but it has a Parrot designed built in, hands free blue tooth..which is the industry leader...big difference. I think it also has like 60 illumination variations...so should match nice...3 lines of text...complete phone address book...Full ipod playlist stuff etc...But most of all kenwood is bullett proof and has become the industry leader...leaving behind alpine and others...I didnt believe it at first but if you do some research you'll find it...Im combining it with the Audison SRx4 and Hertz HSK 165's..should work out nicely.....
Cool. I talked to the shop and they're going to call me as soon as they arrive. Quote is $299, plus, plus, plus. By the time I drive home with it, which will included built-in sat radio and installation, it'll be $500 but it'll be worth it.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,

It's a Clarion SRV314. I chose it solely based on footprint. But it improved my system 100% in my opinion. The unit has a gimmicky remote control where you can set gain and bass level. I set it at mid-gain and lowest bass level and it does it for me. I positioned the remote control under the passenger seat. I don't plan on messing with it but it had to be plugged in for the unit to work.

My headunit has a bass output so I control the sub level with the head unit.

chuck
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by csertich
Matt,

It's a Clarion SRV314. I chose it solely based on footprint. But it improved my system 100% in my opinion. The unit has a gimmicky remote control where you can set gain and bass level. I set it at mid-gain and lowest bass level and it does it for me. I positioned the remote control under the passenger seat. I don't plan on messing with it but it had to be plugged in for the unit to work.

My headunit has a bass output so I control the sub level with the head unit.

chuck
Thanks Chuck. I know what you mean about about the footprint. There is not much room to work with back there.

Quick Reply: Stereo Recommendations