Sponsored by:

Anybody using 6x9 Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody using 6x9 Speakers?

I heard some Rockford 6x9s in a car audio showroom today and I was surprised at the bass output. I had never considered 6x9's before. I used them back in the olden days circa 1981. Has anybody used these in the rear foot wells? I'm just looking to fill the bottom end in a bit for FM Classic rock. I think their stock enclosure boxes will fit and the the total cost is only about $300.

Matt
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 6x9's in the back deck in my coupe. I have focal components in the front, have to look at the rear to see brand. My previous car had the Rod Birch setup with focal components as well, but was a cab, so the rear was a different setup.

The PO had a custom rear deck made so that the area for mounting speakers was taller than normal. He said that the magnets would have been down in the firewall if the custom deck was not used.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just looking to fill the bottom end in a bit for FM Classic rock.
You mean like on "Smoke on the Water"? Ooooops. I'm dating myself.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
You mean like on "Smoke on the Water"? Ooooops. I'm dating myself.
Some Deeeeep Purple would be great.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 AM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a pair of CDT Audio 6x9's for the rear deck. They are making two dedicated versions that are sub's. I have their top of the line ES series seperates in front and I did not want to add a sub box so will see how well they fill out the bottom end.

I will say that my front 6.5's are boarder line sub woofers and put out a lot of mid bass and reach a little lower. I am very happy with CDT products so far.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Your Impression

Originally Posted by VMXWinn
I just ordered a pair of CDT Audio 6x9's for the rear deck. They are making two dedicated versions that are sub's. I have their top of the line ES series seperates in front and I did not want to add a sub box so will see how well they fill out the bottom end.

I will say that my front 6.5's are boarder line sub woofers and put out a lot of mid bass and reach a little lower. I am very happy with CDT products so far.

I would be very interested in your opinion. Please keep us informed.

Ken
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by VMXWinn

Do you know if they will fit for sure ? I was looking at the top end Boston Acoustics and Rockford Fosgate units and I see that they go down to 35 hz. They are also shallower than subs and can likely be run on my existing 4 channel amp so I am hopeful that they will do the trick. The only issue is where to put them. I bought a little 6x9 box last night and was trying to figure out if they could go in the rear footwells or in a custom enclosure on top of the back seats against the rear firewall perhaps. The rear foot well is possible although I have to build a custom panel and I'm sure seat travel will not be limited. I assumed that there was not room in the parcel shelf but I will have a look tonight. It's only for screws if I recall correctly. Matt.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The primary issue will be the depth, I have seen frames that are the shape of the speaker that are used to "lift" the speaker up, away from the deck, kind of like a spacer, that might help. I think they even come angled so you can "point" them.

just my opinion, but putting them in boxes and installing them in the footwells is less than optimal, if you are going to take that space, might as well just but a 10" subwoofer and 4x6 plates in the rear deck.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kika
The primary issue will be the depth, I have seen frames that are the shape of the speaker that are used to "lift" the speaker up, away from the deck, kind of like a spacer, that might help. I think they even come angled so you can "point" them.

just my opinion, but putting them in boxes and installing them in the footwells is less than optimal, if you are going to take that space, might as well just but a 10" subwoofer and 4x6 plates in the rear deck.
Yes, lots of compromises The rear footwell thing is easy to try. I lose some seat travel with the Rod Birch enclosures and the 10's plus I will need another amp and it is more than I want to spend but...(I spent my money on a new suspension)
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Yes, lots of compromises The rear footwell thing is easy to try. I lose some seat travel with the Rod Birch enclosures and the 10's plus I will need another amp and it is more than I want to spend but...(I spent my money on a new suspension)
Agreed, easy to try out and see if you like the sound. If you like the sound, I thinkk I would try to make something work in the rear deck, although they will sound a bit different up there as opposed to the footwells. Low frequencies are omni-directional, so the bass will stay about the same, but the mids and upper frequencies will become more pronounced as they will reflect off the rear window. IMHO they will be more effective in the rear deck.

... I am 5'8" so I don't really need the extra travel, but on occasion I have to tote kids back there in emergency car pool situations. and my door component speakers get pretty low without the subs.

No one here will give you grief about picking suspension over speakers it really is just delaying the inevitable...

you never get to the bottom of the slope, just occasionally find a mesa...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Ken,

Just to answer some of your guys questions. I would not put any 6x9's in those small speaker boxes. There is not enough air space in those boxes and you will only get upper mid bass out of them and that would defeat the purpose of trying to fill in more bottom end.

I would mount them in the rear deck so they will be running free-air. Also I would add Dynamatt to the metal surface and dacron stuffing in the air space/gap. Get the dacron at a fabric store, pillow stuffing.

There is a guy that advertises in the PCA Panorama magazine that makes a replacment rear parcel shelf that looks stock but is a little wider and taller and allows 6x9's to drop in. He does not have a web site but his company is call "Better Fit Interiors" . That is what I did now I am waiting for the CDT speakers to come.

Do a Gooogle search for CDT Audio ES690. This is their 6x9 sub in the ES line. They also make a less expensive version with a stamped metal frame in the CL Line. The good thing about this is that if you wanted to run them as full range speakers they have a real cross over and a nice silk dome tweeter.

I am also running a 4 channel amp, Alpine PDX 4.150 and Nakamichi CD500 HU, which has a built in crossover and low pass switching, and your amp might be simular. So set the rear channels to low pass and they will only see the lower end at what ever you set the crossover point at. You will be surprised at how well it sounds.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
matt777
Drifting

Thanks guys. I'm on a mission now and will be getting some spacers on the way home (assuming they have the right ones) I'm hoping there is enough room for the 6x9's with these. It will mean cutting the deck a little or at least running screws through it but there are always compromises. The local audio store has the Boston SL95s in stock and a Pioneer Premier DEH-500UB deck on sale.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

VMX,

I have that same amp, but have not yet mounted it yet. Did it fit under the passenger seat? Thanks.

Alex
Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Yes Alex,

That is why I went with this amp. It fits just perfect under the passangers seat but not much more room for anything else.

Good Luck
Darren
Old 02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Anybody using 6x9 Speakers?