Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993, can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, welcome to the revolution.

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Congratulations! You'll need to post some photographs and it's maybe time to get an impromptu local Renn gathering for coffee and a drive or lunch.
I'm in, how about the next dry weekend? Hopefully Tony and I can time our suspension work before this.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Nuff
Racer

Congrats on the purchase and welcome. I have a 95 with the original clutch and over 110K. I have no problems shifting in/out of any gear. I occasionally double clutch when the car is cold, but IIRC there was a thread on here a while ago that said it shouldn't be necessary. Sounds like you should have your clutch looked at.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My gearbox feels the same exact way, and I also have almost 100K.
I have to blip the throttle to get smoother downshifts. 2nd and 3nd gear are my problem. Synchros were my first guess, but I am hoping a clutch job will help. It is starting to slip.

Hopefully it's a worn bearing. I'll probably get in a maintenance frenzy, and replace every part I touch when I drop the tranny. We'll see if that helps:-)
Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Congrats! Another 993 stays in WA state.
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I have an appointment next Wednesday with John Walker to get her checked over.

What is wallowing? To much body roll? Even stock, there isn't a lot of roll, with HD's & springs, even with stock bars it should be pretty tight. It might need a good wheel alignment, or better tires. 993 are weird when it comes to tires, & pressure.
Yes, having nothing else really to compare the 993 to,,, you have to take my questions and blind commentary with a grain (lump?) of salt. There were a few times during spirited driving where the car seemed a bit unsettled while cornering with a bump or transition involved. Without a bump it takes a 'set' while cornering and it's fine, I notice no body roll at all really.

It may just be normal, the suspension seems to 'track' very well in general.

I did notice that the tires are uni-directional and the rears are mounted backwards. They're Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I checked the pressures after some driving and they were all uniform at 44psi. Looks like the cold value listed in the manual for the 17" wheels is 36psi, so I will check them cold next.

I will probably get an alignment at G2 or Tru-Line, as I think the last time it was done was 30k miles ago. But if I'm going to upgrade sways anyways, I (think?) it would be best to do so prior to an alignment to avoid duplicating the service.

Between playing with pressures, having others more experienced than I drive my car at club events and the like, an alignment, and possibly new sways, I'm sure it will be sorted soon enough.

Anyway, the trans/clutch is way more worrisome right now for sure.

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
My gearbox feels the same exact way, and I also have almost 100K.
Originally Posted by Fahrer
It sounds to me like your clutch is dragging. This can be the result of a worn release bearing. If that is the case you are putting extra stress on your synchronizers....... not good.

Thanks, I'll be sure to update the thread with the diagnosis/solution, hope it helps you as well.

Originally Posted by CADguy
... I have been driving cars with manual transmissions for decades, and I have always thought of lugging to be too much load on the engine in too high a gear. I keep the engine above 3k RPM when accelerating, especially going up hill. Cruising on a level highway while not accelerating at 2200 RPM is probably ok. I wouldn't go any lower. If you then need to climb or accelerate, down shift. I personally like to stay above 2500 RPM at all times, if possible. I almost never use 6th gear...
Thanks!

I will look into the PCA tour, I'm up for a coffee/drive anytime, and yes, I promise pics are coming.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Congratulations.

The gear shifts should be smoother. I'm not sure why your 3rd gear is balky. With the 915 transmission, balkiness is to expected but the G50 shouldn't be giving you these problems. Try going off the clutch and back in before a shift. My shifts are smooth 1-6.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Thanks. I'm hoping it's just a bearing or least limited to a clutch related issue. Some simple fix hopefully.

I notice that shifting in general is not as precise as I would expect (relative to the rest of the car's systems!) I've had to baby gearboxes in the past... I notice for example that the manual says maximum downshift into 1st gear is 36MPH. There's no way I could do that in the current state. Less than 10MPH or even full stop is more like it.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

I also have a '95 C2. 90k on the clock with 20k on a ltwt/clutch/flywhl. I'm pretty sure it clutches/shifts exactly like it is supposed to so if you are ever on Capitol Hill let me know and you can drive my car as a comparison to yours. I've got PSS9 suspenders and don't feel any "wallowing" so you could check that out too.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Thanks. I'm hoping it's just a bearing or least limited to a clutch related issue. Some simple fix hopefully.

I notice that shifting in general is not as precise as I would expect (relative to the rest of the car's systems!) I've had to baby gearboxes in the past... I notice for example that the manual says maximum downshift into 1st gear is 36MPH. There's no way I could do that in the current state. Less than 10MPH or even full stop is more like it.
36mph is definetly a 2nd gear speed on the way down. I don't recall but that has to be at or over redline on the way up. I may have to go for a drive to check.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 AM
baron95993
Pro

Welcome my brother this is a great place

Baron
Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiesan
I also have a '95 C2. 90k on the clock with 20k on a ltwt/clutch/flywhl. I'm pretty sure it clutches/shifts exactly like it is supposed to so if you are ever on Capitol Hill let me know and you can drive my car as a comparison to yours. I've got PSS9 suspenders and don't feel any "wallowing" so you could check that out too.
I would love to take you up on that offer, too kind really. You can drive mine as well, and tell me what you think. Can I call you via the number on your website? Thanks.

Originally Posted by autobonrun
36mph is definetly a 2nd gear speed on the way down. I don't recall but that has to be at or over redline on the way up. I may have to go for a drive to check.
Nope, maximum downshift from 2nd to 1st = 36MPH or 3,700RPM

Edit: Maybe that ^^ is wrong, looking at the graph (pg 138 of the manual) it shows a much lower redline than 36MPH for 1st gear, right around 25MPH.

Last edited by mongrelcat; 03-25-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redblurr
Congrats on your new ride. I too spend a very large amount of time in your area. I work on hwy99 between 128th and the speedway. If you pay attention this summer you will surley see my GR 993 parked outside. I have searched and searched for a quality shop around here and have not found any. I think your best bet is Bellevue or Seattle or poss. Edmonds. The name of the place in Edmonds is German Autoworks. I dont know first hand what that place is like but I think they have been around a while,check them out. Might be worth saving that long haul to Seattle or Bell-town.
Missed this before, sorry. I will keep an eye out for your car! If you want to know where there's a nice little stretch of relatively clear road with some nice twisty bits let me know.

I decided to head down to John Walker's after finding a thread about his shop here, and talking to him earlier today.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Yeah sure, 206 325 7233 whenever you like. John Walker is the man for this type of thing by the way.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Thanks for the warm welcome all!
I have an appointment next Wednesday with John Walker to get her checked over.

Yes, having nothing else really to compare the 993 to,,, you have to take my questions and blind commentary with a grain (lump?) of salt. There were a few times during spirited driving where the car seemed a bit unsettled while cornering with a bump or transition involved. Without a bump it takes a 'set' while cornering and it's fine, I notice no body roll at all really.

It may just be normal, the suspension seems to 'track' very well in general.

I did notice that the tires are uni-directional and the rears are mounted backwards. They're Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I checked the pressures after some driving and they were all uniform at 44psi. Looks like the cold value listed in the manual for the 17" wheels is 36psi, so I will check them cold next.

I will probably get an alignment at G2 or Tru-Line, as I think the last time it was done was 30k miles ago. But if I'm going to upgrade sways anyways, I (think?) it would be best to do so prior to an alignment to avoid duplicating the service.

Between playing with pressures, having others more experienced than I drive my car at club events and the like, an alignment, and possibly new sways, I'm sure it will be sorted soon enough.

Anyway, the trans/clutch is way more worrisome right now for sure.

I will look into the PCA tour, I'm up for a coffee/drive anytime, and yes, I promise pics are coming.

You are in good hands there!

Sway bars will NOT help with your problem, it sounds more like a spring/dampening issue. Sway bars just do body roll. Your wrong tire pressure, & wrong direction, can be the cause! It can cause the tires to track wrong, & be unsettling. These cars are very sensitive to tire pressure. 32-36 front, & 38-41 rear. You do not need to realign the car after installing sway bars, you never touch any alignment settings with them, just the drop links that attach to the suspension.

With the clutch, there was a upgraded arm that goes a@ the pedal, & you might want to make sure the fluid it topped off, or change it, then make sure the clutch is bleed properly. It might be as simple as low fluid.

It can also be the shifter arm, there is a big rubber piece, yours might be failing. Also a easy fix.

I can tell you, the travel for the shifter is on the high side, & feeling is a little on the vague side. It's far from the best feeling trans I have shifted, but also far from the worst, it just takes some time to get used to.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Well, many thanks to kiesan for letting me drive his car to help me get another perspective on my own car. My car felt more like his than I thought it would, but some differences were pretty evident. Handling-wise, there was a marked difference, but we didn't really push mine as hard as he did his, so..... The PSS9 and tire combo on his car is just a beautiful thing. I thought my car handled pretty damn well overall, until I rode in his!

There is a pull to the left at highway speeds, and it's quite pronounced under braking. I guess I had started to get used to it. I have some minor sorting to do for sure.

I have an appointment next week at Tru-Line for an alignment. Spoke to Pete earlier in the day and he's great.

You are in good hands there!

Sway bars will NOT help with your problem, it sounds more like a spring/dampening issue. Sway bars just do body roll. Your wrong tire pressure, & wrong direction, can be the cause! It can cause the tires to track wrong, & be unsettling. These cars are very sensitive to tire pressure. 32-36 front, & 38-41 rear. You do not need to realign the car after installing sway bars, you never touch any alignment settings with them, just the drop links that attach to the suspension.
Thanks. I was under the impression from the owner's manual that pressures should be the same front and rear so this alone could account for what I'm seeing. I want to get the rear tires sorted (spinning the correct direction,) soon, though I can't get into Tru-Line till next week, is this something you'all would trust to a Discount Tire / Les Schwab type of place? As long as they get it on the lift correctly and replace all the lug nuts at around the right torque values........

With the clutch, there was a upgraded arm that goes a@ the pedal, & you might want to make sure the fluid it topped off, or change it, then make sure the clutch is bleed properly. It might be as simple as low fluid.

It can also be the shifter arm, there is a big rubber piece, yours might be failing. Also a easy fix.

I can tell you, the travel for the shifter is on the high side, & feeling is a little on the vague side. It's far from the best feeling trans I have shifted, but also far from the worst, it just takes some time to get used to.
Thanks again. After kiesan drove my car he was pretty sure it's clutch-related, probably to do with the hydraulics. The clutch engagement point is quite low to the floor, i.e., right on the floor. (This was the first thing John asked me about when I mentioned the symptoms to him, as well, but not knowing what is normal for the 993, it was hard to tell him what I was feeling.)

kiesan, please add to or correct anything I've written, and thanks again for your genuine kindness in helping me out. Glad to meet you.

The car is just awesome. Another night, another 100+ miles.

Last edited by mongrelcat; 03-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Quick Reply: 993, can it be?