Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1997 PORSCHE 993 TURBO X50

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM
StuttgartStudios
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. $6286 pounds. Wonder what it was in USD.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:40 PM
race.it
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not got many, this is one I have on the phone at present, it's undergoing a re registration to a new country so at present I can not drive it till the paperwork is finished
Old 05-22-2016, 01:44 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Too many laws over there!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:12 PM
race.it
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Yep, and I encounter a new one each time I visit the tax office...
Old 05-22-2016, 02:38 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Where exactly are you located?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:51 PM
race.it
Instructor

Where exactly are you located?
Currently in a place called sotogrande, it's close to Gibraltar.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:39 PM
StuttgartStudios
Former Vendor

I'm continuing to look into the E50 (X50,X74,XE7) option group (aka Powerkit) on the 993. I didn't find anything in the Porsche Red Book on it, and a quick shout out to Randy Leffingwell got him scratching his head too -- his understanding were they were ROW cars only.

The hitch in the car Im dealing with is it was a Puerto Rico delivery. It has a USA VIN, a 49-state Country/EPA code in C02 (Non-California), but the hood sticker also says "PR" in the upper right corner as opposed to "USM" (US Mainland).

I'm wondering if somehow Puerto Rico was able to import ROW cars/options but ultimately title them with USA VINs and Emissions codes. It just seems too coincidental that this is a Puerto Rico car. Ive never met anyone with a 993TT Powerkit car that bought it on the mainland. Someone earlier said 10-12 were thought to exist. Maybe they did some importation tap-dancing through places like Puerto Rico as well?

Hmm. One way or another Id like to get to the bottom of this, whether I end up recreating this window sticker or not. It's eating at me.
The following users liked this post:
Rachel930 (04-30-2022)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 PM
StuttgartStudios
Former Vendor

Ive done some additional research on the US VIN'd 993TT X50 conundrum and talked to a few more people 'in the know'. At least as much as they can realistically know based on their own accounts w/these cars.

One person knows firsthand of a US-VIN'd car with the X50 sold to a high ranking member of the armed forces while stationed in Germany and that car was delivered in Germany and not the USA, but was VIN'd as a USA car presumably to aid in importation once their deployment/assignment in Germany was over. If you were an important enough person, you could get the factory to pull all kinds of bunnies -- but those people were few and far between -- yet the kind that would be able to get this car built.

This person familiar w/the X50 cars felt there may be 10-12 floating around in the states that are US-VIN'd, but there's a good chance most if not all of these cars were taken delivery directly at the factory as part of a special exemption for VIP clients to get the X50 option on the car. The X50 was never officially offered in the USA, appears on no PCNA pricing or order guides, and more or less just doesn't exist on paper. So it's not far-fetched to presume these vehicles were specially-prepared for whales, large Porsche collectors, or other high-profile types that could get the factory to make an exception for a USA VIN'd car. Part of that concession probably meant having to take delivery directly in Germany and perhaps also pre-pay with a substantial deposit.

I have never run across a PCNA window sticker with the X50 package on a 993TT, which leads me to believe the window stickers don't exist (subject to further additional info). If you took delivery of the car in Germany in this manner, it's likely the car never had a conventional PCNA sticker anyway which could help explain that. You probably had a German bill of sale, something perhaps from the factory itself, but nothing I'd call conventionally PCNA-ish we've come to expect from the window stickers we get for cars sold here. We're not talking a European Delivery here where you drive it around for a couple weeks then ship to the states for final delivery (code 900). This would be a legitimate European purchase but with a USA VIN -- you may import the car in a couple months or a couple years depending on your circumstances. The USA VIN was used to make the transition easier b/c that's where the car would ultimately end up.

In short, from what I can tell the cars were back-door'd by Porsche and built exclusively for VIP clients in the USA and probably never sold in a USA dealership nor ordered directly from a USA dealership, which would explain the lack of a PCNA window sticker anyone has been able to produce. I assume you could order it through normal dealer channels in Europe as a legitimate option.

If new information comes forth I will let you know. If you know anything different, please share. This kind of stuff is both fascinating and enjoyable to research. As for the 993TT X50 Im working on with a USA VIN and a USA/Puerto Rico hood sticker -- the owner is looking through their paperwork. But Im guessing the paper trail dead-ends before a factory delivery in the USA.

Turbonation (09-30-2020)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:43 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by StuttgartStudios
Ive done some additional research on the US VIN'd 993TT X50 conundrum and talked to a few more people 'in the know'. At least as much as they can realistically know based on their own accounts w/these cars.

One person knows firsthand of a US-VIN'd car with the X50 sold to a high ranking member of the armed forces while stationed in Germany and that car was delivered in Germany and not the USA, but was VIN'd as a USA car presumably to aid in importation once their deployment/assignment in Germany was over. If you were an important enough person, you could get the factory to pull all kinds of bunnies -- but those people were few and far between -- yet the kind that would be able to get this car built.

This person familiar w/the X50 cars felt there may be 10-12 floating around in the states that are US-VIN'd, but there's a good chance most if not all of these cars were taken delivery directly at the factory as part of a special exemption for VIP clients to get the X50 option on the car. The X50 was never officially offered in the USA, appears on no PCNA pricing or order guides, and more or less just doesn't exist on paper. So it's not far-fetched to presume these vehicles were specially-prepared for whales, large Porsche collectors, or other high-profile types that could get the factory to make an exception for a USA VIN'd car. Part of that concession probably meant having to take delivery directly in Germany and perhaps also pre-pay with a substantial deposit.

I have never run across a PCNA window sticker with the X50 package on a 993TT, which leads me to believe the window stickers don't exist (subject to further additional info). If you took delivery of the car in Germany in this manner, it's likely the car never had a conventional PCNA sticker anyway which could help explain that. You probably had a German bill of sale, something perhaps from the factory itself, but nothing I'd call conventionally PCNA-ish we've come to expect from the window stickers we get for cars sold here. We're not talking a European Delivery here where you drive it around for a couple weeks then ship to the states for final delivery (code 900). This would be a legitimate European purchase but with a USA VIN -- you may import the car in a couple months or a couple years depending on your circumstances. The USA VIN was used to make the transition easier b/c that's where the car would ultimately end up.

In short, from what I can tell the cars were back-door'd by Porsche and built exclusively for VIP clients in the USA and probably never sold in a USA dealership nor ordered directly from a USA dealership, which would explain the lack of a PCNA window sticker anyone has been able to produce. I assume you could order it through normal dealer channels in Europe as a legitimate option.

If new information comes forth I will let you know. If you know anything different, please share. This kind of stuff is both fascinating and enjoyable to research. As for the 993TT X50 Im working on with a USA VIN and a USA/Puerto Rico hood sticker -- the owner is looking through their paperwork. But Im guessing the paper trail dead-ends before a factory delivery in the USA.

Hello, you are scratching your ear with the opposite hand.
to pinpoint 'country of destination' of a 993 turbo with X50 option, just look at the option 553 USA Version, or the VIN itself: if WPOZZZ = rest of the World or WPOAA2 = USA
X50 option existed in the US in front of the eyes of 'people in the know' (no hard feelings pls)

just look at tequipment catalog USA part # 000 044 100 01
I could order the parts pckg for you @ €6900 or $7700 in today's exchange rate
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2016, 01:05 PM
StuttgartStudios
Former Vendor

The VINs were never in question, nor the package. We already know they are USA VINs. For my purposes the question is, could you order the car with the X50 and get it delivered at a USA dealership and have it line-itemed on the window sticker, or did you have to take delivery in Europe through a back-door process of being "in-the-know".

Thus far, no one has ever produced a Monroney with the X50 listed that I know of.
Turbonation (09-30-2020)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:20 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StuttgartStudios
The VINs were never in question, nor the package. We already know they are USA VINs. For my purposes the question is, could you order the car with the X50 and get it delivered at a USA dealership and have it line-itemed on the window sticker, or did you have to take delivery in Europe through a back-door process of being "in-the-know".

Thus far, no one has ever produced a Monroney with the X50 listed that I know of.
Have to find the 993 Exclusive Brochure for USA and I am sure the options was there.
But it was 'maybe' merely the fact that and option costing upwards of 7k for a modest 22hp or 5% more on a 408hp engine that didn't attract to many custo's.
As the 3.8l option on NA 993 , that was priced the same for 12hp extra
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey George hope your doing okay w the floods

I was walking near the Eiffel Tower a week or so ago and spotted a car that looked identical to your old one.

Name:  fd98d27b-84bc-4f43-bce0-85500d87e0de.png
Views: 1107
Size:  172.9 KB
Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Hey George hope your doing okay w the floods

I was walking near the Eiffel Tower a week or so ago and spotted a car that looked identical to your old one.

YOU WERE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD AND YOU DIDN'T CALL???

hmmmm, if you're still here, drop me a msg.
thank you K , owe you a
Old 06-06-2016, 05:20 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1997 PORSCHE 993 TURBO X50

I don't think it was geolab's 993. I think his had the side vents retrofited?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm usually there a few times a month, I owe YOU the cold ones! Will touch base next time I'm back

Quick Reply: 1997 PORSCHE 993 TURBO X50