Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Check Strap Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Pelican and/or PCar has the whole process detailed.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
^^ I think it is directly related to miles = use of door. There are many threads on how to prevent. Do it sooner than later, and count your blessings.
I think it is a function of how often and with how much force the door is opened. I never open my door all the way to the stop much less with any force. I expect my check straps to last forever, or at least as long as I own the car.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:41 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I think it is a function of how often and with how much force the door is opened. I never open my door all the way to the stop much less with any force. I expect my check straps to last forever, or at least as long as I own the car.
Yep, same here. Even with Porsche's poor design just be gentle and watch out for inadvertent wind gusts and your door strap should last as long as you do.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:45 AM
mos60n
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3'er
I need this done as well. I got two estimates, both in San Rafael, CA: Barsotti's said they would only do it as described by the OP in this thread. I left convinced they would do it right. Cost would be $2500. The other very well respected shop said they would weld the pin arm to the A-pillar and "clean it up so you would not notice". Cost would be $500.

I was quite disappointed. I would only do the former approach, but the cost seems to be about double what I was hoping. After my windshield replacement fiasco, I'm gun-shy about trusting shops.

Anyone had the OP's method done by a Bay Area shop with good results?
I spoke with Peter Sorensen at PBR restoration in Crockett. I have the same problem with my door strap and he quoted me about $1500 to repair. His description of the manner in which he would do the repairs is consistent with what I've read here on RL. Full disclosure: I haven't done it yet but Peter seems like a really standup guy with a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

MOS60N, thanks for your post. I'll send you a PM.

If there are any other recommendations out there, I'd appreciate any referrals.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:52 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't want to start a new thread, but does anyone have any tips on how to get the pins back in? I've hammered the crap out of mine but they won't sit down.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
I don't want to start a new thread, but does anyone have any tips on how to get the pins back in? I've hammered the crap out of mine but they won't sit down.
It should set with a couple of light hammer taps, at least far enough to expose the detents for the clip to hold it in place. If not, the hole(s) must be too small.

I would be inclined to tap it out and check pin fitment in the door check strap and also separately in the bracket from the door jamb, to determine which hole(s) are too small. I might consider drilling out the check strap slightly, but don't think I would drill the jamb bracket. The fit needs to be snug or you'll get clicking.

However if the pin is securely in place and doesn't interfere with the opening in the door where the checkstrap emerges, it should be ok to just leave it alone. If the pin hits the door sheet metal (ie doesn't fit inside the checkstrap opening) that won't do.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
It should set with a couple of light hammer taps, at least far enough to expose the detents for the clip to hold it in place. If not, the hole(s) must be too small.

I would be inclined to tap it out and check pin fitment in the door check strap and also separately in the bracket from the door jamb, to determine which hole(s) are too small. I might consider drilling out the check strap slightly, but don't think I would drill the jamb bracket. The fit needs to be snug or you'll get clicking.

However if the pin is securely in place and doesn't interfere with the opening in the door where the checkstrap emerges, it should be ok to just leave it alone. If the pin hits the door sheet metal (ie doesn't fit inside the checkstrap opening) that won't do.
I seem to remember the pin goes in only one way as the yoke it mounts through has different dimensions on each side. Just under the cap of the pin is a splined surface that mates into the hole snuggly so the pin does not move once fully installed. The design is so the pin doesn't make a popping sound from shifting in the yoke once installed. If the pin is installed from the improper side I am not sure it will seat in the yoke. Close observation should reveal one side as having a smooth hole the other exhibiting spline marks. If something is distorted not allowing the pin to properly seat from the correct side with a few light taps I would not hit it anymore. I would see if I could use a large locking pliers with some thin washers, if needed, as temporary wedges to fill the clearance above and below the keeper's arm inside the yoke and squeeze the pin into position avoiding stress to the welds or further distortion of the yoke
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks gents. I pulled the pins out and inspected them and the holes. I found nothing to indicate that they were asymmetrical or keyed. I gave the pin and the hole a quick sand with 400 grit. I took a scribe and cleaned up the splines and then I lubricated the hole and tried again.

I couldn't get them to sit flush, but they are in deep enough that the clip now engages.

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
Thanks gents. I pulled the pins out and inspected them and the holes. I found nothing to indicate that they were asymmetrical or keyed. I gave the pin and the hole a quick sand with 400 grit. I took a scribe and cleaned up the splines and then I lubricated the hole and tried again.

I couldn't get them to sit flush, but they are in deep enough that the clip now engages.

Thanks again.
If the clip slipped on and there is no popping sound congratz as the fix is good-to-go!

Quick Reply: Door Check Strap Repair