Sponsored by:

Pocher Model

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Does this model have the enhanced engine detail kit? As I can recall, the level of detail in the engine and engine compartment left a lot to be desired.
No it doesn't have the detail kit as you will see by the photo below. They are available through Ebay and some websites dedictaed to Pocher upgrades.

As you will see from the photos the model is not 100% perfect. I brought it assembled as shown in the picture above of the actual model knowing about the "issues" and had planned to strip it and rebuild.

I have stripped it down and now simply don't have the time to put it back together to the standard that I would be happy with. The only obvious issue was that one of the doors didn't "sit" quite flush. You will see that one of the door hinges has a "twist" in it. BTW I've looked and its not a check strap and while we are at it the engine has been removed

The pictures really speak for themselves. Once I'm a RL member I will put it one here for sale. It also comes with another full set of glass and interior fabric etc.

The fit and finish on them was never perfect as those that have had or built them can attest to however with a bit of time you can get them right.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Wow! I'm shocked at the lack of detail considering the prices these have commanded in the past.

The size is cool, but that engine... holy smokes.

Andreas
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Wow! I'm shocked at the lack of detail considering the prices these have commanded in the past.

Andreas
No kidding. The transmission in a Tamiya I am building right now looks as good as that. Those Pochers do command a very high price.

Mike
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Most of the value comes in that the Pocher company no longer exists therefor they are limited in supply. The detail is nothing great but the proportion is perfect and the size (1/8th) stunning.

The "transkits" are impressive and VERY detailed. Metal slotted rotors etc. When I have time I'll post some pics.

Here is a mates one that is very nice.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Tania W
Racer

Nice build...do you know who did it? I've got one of the kits, and wouldn't mind some advice.
Bought mine on Ebay for about $300US, but that was several years ago and the price has spiralled upwards since. It is the blue kit but I want to repaint it yellow which will make getting a really decent finish difficult. That blue one looks great, although it could do with some detail touches (pedals, seat controls etc) The exterior finsh, however, is stunning. I think I would struggle to get a finish like that in yellow using my airbrush and model paints!
Cheers
Tania
Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Tania W
Racer

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Agree entirely...Tamiya quality it ain't, in fact it would struggle to make Protar standard. Having said that, the "big T" are state of the art and it would be great if all car models met their standard. It would be great to see them do a new Porsche subject....certainly a "standard" 993 would be nice and a widebody even better. They do, of course, do a very nice 993 GT2 in race and "Club Sport" trim. The 993 is probably the poor cousin as far as 1/24 car models are concerned. Fujimi do an excellent line of 911s from a 67 "S" through to 964, and 356s in their "Enthusiast" series of kits. As far as I am aware, only Italeri do a "standard" 993 kit (an early version)
As you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a model kit fan, although unfortunately my "build ratio" is substantially outnumbered by my "unbuilt ratio" (pic below...and that's not all of them)
Cheers
Tania
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Pocher was a different company when they started out back in the late 60's early 70's. They were one of the few companies at the time that built complicated kits. The earlier versions were better quality and far more complicated. Most of their kits that I built had well over 3000 pieces and detail was dependent on how far you planned on taking it.

IIRC it was either Tyco or Tamiya that bought them out back in the early 80's. All the kits since then were not as detailed as the earlier ones.

Although they are still nice models and look great from a few feet. Whoever built the blue one did not take the time to detail the model to make it really stand out.

I have 6 different vintage cars I built. Unfortunately only 2 I have pictures for. These were built from kits that were made by the original Pocher company. I built the ALfa when I was 11 and the Fiat when I was 13 a very long time ago.

I was not as skilled as I am today and the MB 500 and RR coupe came out far better. I would love to build the F40 and 993 but for the price I can pick up the 1:10 scale exotos for far less and more detail and better quality die cast.
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Cobolt.

I built the blue 993 Pocher above. I started at 8pm pn night after my wife had gone to bed and finished it at 3am in te morning. It was a bit of a marathon session.

I also have all three transkist for the car (external, internal and engine).

I am not a model builder (I do have over 100 x 1:18 diecast I collect but I just buy them from UT, Exoto and Minichamps or ebay). Infcact the last model I build before ths one was probably wth my dad when i was 8.

Id welcome your suggestions on how to improve the model? It has always been my intention to evenetually strip the model down (very easy) andrebuild with the transkits. Id appreciate your advise on what else I could do at that time to details it as you mention....
Old 03-20-2009, 05:32 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pocher had been producing museum quality kits for many years before they closed their operations.
Their Rolls Royce and Bugatti kits were some of their best kits in terms of materials used (leather for the seats) and level of detail. I've assemble one of the Bugatti Gran Touring kits and it took some work, a lot of work to get the panels to line up and paint finishes to come out right and there was the lacing of each of the six wheels.
As an Italian company, their later Ferrari kits were nicely detailed and hence snapped up by Ferrari enthusiasts and model builders. Entire aftermarket trans kits have been produced to further enhance the level of detail for these models from the Ferrari key and key fob to perforated metal replacement panels of the Challenge series Ferrari. Unfortunately the 993 kit was the last kit Pocher was to produce and the poor quality engineering of the injection molded plastic certainly showed as in the photographs posted above. I've built the Tamiya 1/12th Martini 935 kit and it's a true beauty, recently I bought their R/C car on Ebay but haven't had a chance to paint it up yet. I've attached some photographs from a Vintage Tamiya R/C site.
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I have 9 different 1/10th Tamiya RC cars (inc 2 x GT2 and 2 x GT1). The vintage ones are lovely.

The 993 in 1/8th is still my knock out centre piece and people always comment. The scale is awesome and the interior and exterior are exactly the same as on my car. The exterior finish is much better than most small scale Tamiya plastic kits ive seen and the paintwork is supurb....
Attached Images    
Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say my 1:1 is my "knock out" centre piece. Didn't your car body come with the clear tear off plastic film for overspray?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes. Mine too!

Also got the 1:1 Ducati 996 superbike. The japanese plastic Kits just werent up to it LOL!

Im not sure if the tape came with it. I doubt so - it was part of a NOS Tamiya Starcard GT2 kit (chassis plus engine etc).

Cheers
Macca
Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oh yes - I see what you mean now - the thin clear shrink wrap. yes it did but it sure gets very tatty after you have trimmed up the edges of the polycarb and then filed it down with a light file. As I said Im not a model building guy - but they seem to come out ok....

Cheers
Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tania W
Nice build...do you know who did it? I've got one of the kits, and wouldn't mind some advice.
Bought mine on Ebay for about $300US, but that was several years ago and the price has spiralled upwards since. It is the blue kit but I want to repaint it yellow which will make getting a really decent finish difficult. That blue one looks great, although it could do with some detail touches (pedals, seat controls etc) The exterior finsh, however, is stunning. I think I would struggle to get a finish like that in yellow using my airbrush and model paints!
Cheers
Tania
Hi Tania,

You will see from the post below that my mate Macca built it. BTW your car is stunning. Saw it at the Intercours De Elegance

Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Tania W
Racer

Hi,
Been speaking to Macca off the board, thanks.
Great pics. How come everyone else got better pics of my car than I could manage?
That's a good shot of mine and the Speed Yellow 964 showing the colour difference. Still haven't worked out exactly what colour it is.....I was told it was Ferrari Giallo FLY, but the option code seems to imply the colour is that of "a different Porsche model" or something like that. Whatever, it ws a custom colour order and it's certainly a bit brighter than Speed Yellow!
Cheers
Tania
ps where in Kapiti? My folks are in Huia St Waikanae. Their neighbour is a Jag man and has a great collection in a series of barn-type garages.

Quick Reply: Pocher Model