Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI found issues on C4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:29 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude68
If you intend to pile on the miles at that rate, I'd start with a car that's more "depreciated," say, with at least 65K miles.
+1.
Old 03-12-2009 | 07:30 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

My car just turned 50k mi and I am having all the work you mentioned in this thread (and then some!) done on her.

Why? (seems like the obvious question to many people here)

Because it is the right car and there is nothing like having a fully sorted example of a 993.
Old 03-12-2009 | 07:42 PM
helmet155
Pro

I think you can find a better condition 50-60k mile C4S.
Old 03-12-2009 | 07:52 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Remember that this is a used car after all, nothing more than that .... despite how much we admire and respect them: visions of a $15K write down because of an oil drip would have me driving off into the sunset were I the seller.

The shift seal, as Andreas said, is no big deal .... live with it for a month and put on that 1000 miles: the leak may stop as the shaft is used again. If not, once in the air, I know that even a hack like me can replace it in an hour .... and its a $15 seal.

The leak around cyl #4 could be oil migration from those classic leakers - dried valve cover gaskets: In the worst case, it is the jug to block interface as the PPI suggests .... strange perhaps as there is no pressure there. Regardless, in this worst case IMO, all the owner would be responsible for is pulling the valve train and then head/cyl #4 .... for whatever that costs: while it may be advised by some to do all sorts of tricks while in there ( guides, clutch, SAI passages, etc), they are not at all related to that oil drip .... and are therefore discretionary to the buyer - not the seller.
Old 03-12-2009 | 08:04 PM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by Garth S
Remember that this is a used car after all, nothing more than that .... despite how much we admire and respect them: visions of a $15K write down because of an oil drip would have me driving off into the sunset were I the seller.

The shift seal, as Andreas said, is no big deal .... live with it for a month and put on that 1000 miles: the leak may stop as the shaft is used again. If not, once in the air, I know that even a hack like me can replace it in an hour .... and its a $15 seal.

The leak around cyl #4 could be oil migration from those classic leakers - dried valve cover gaskets: In the worst case, it is the jug to block interface as the PPI suggests .... strange perhaps as there is no pressure there. Regardless, in this worst case IMO, all the owner would be responsible for is pulling the valve train and then head/cyl #4 .... for whatever that costs: while it may be advised by some to do all sorts of tricks while in there ( guides, clutch, SAI passages, etc), they are not at all related to that oil drip .... and are therefore discretionary to the buyer - not the seller.
I might be a really bad negotitor, so a $15k write down might still be ok in this market

The 15k I mentioned was just a negotiating point. I was paying above the current market to get a car with the options I wanted and in perfect condition. Most people would probably think I was overpaying with my original offer on the car. The seller is a nice guy that has been up front with me on all items. I am just looking for a fair deal for both sides.

For the minimalist repair that you outlined, what would estimate for the price of repair?

Once again, thanks to everyone for providing input.
Old 03-12-2009 | 08:27 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Here is my thought, why not buy a standard 993 C2 look for a '95 with some miles on it, maybe 60-80k. Make some upgrades here or there, but overall have the 993 experience without having the headache of a depreciating car like the C4S. And not to mention the premium that you are going to have to pay over a C4 or C2.
Old 03-12-2009 | 10:39 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techsis
OK...from the PPI Report:

8) cigarette lighter does not stay in when activated
Boy...just that alone would have me walkin' away.
Old 03-12-2009 | 10:53 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
I don't see how you need a $9K rebuild based on a weeping seal...I just don't see how that can be diagnosed from the available data.
It doesn't say a rebuild is needed...it just makes sense to do the top end rebuild if you are going to have to dismantle the engine to fix the seal. He said it is dripping on the header/heat exchanger. That is more than "weeping".
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:08 PM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Boy...just that alone would have me walkin' away.
LOL...Yep that is a potential deal breaker. I smiled when I saw that on the report (they were very thorough).
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:33 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

I might be a really bad negotitor, so a $15k write down might still be ok in this market

The 15k I mentioned was just a negotiating point. I was paying above the current market to get a car with the options I wanted and in perfect condition. Most people would probably think I was overpaying with my original offer on the car. The seller is a nice guy that has been up front with me on all items. I am just looking for a fair deal for both sides.

For the minimalist repair that you outlined, what would estimate for the price of repair?

Once again, thanks to everyone for providing input.

Ok, so now the story on this car is written, from a negotiation stand point think of it like this, the seller most likely will be forced to fix the car, lower the price for the next guy who gets a PPI or just push it back in the garage and let it sit, so in away he's stuck. If it was me I'd make my offer for the 15K less. He says no, then walk.
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:38 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is no evidence the car needs $15K in repairs.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a car with more miles. No point in buying one with a premium for low miles and then cranking then on the car.

If I were the seller, I would drive the car for a while and then re-evaluate the "issues". If they exist, I would deal with them. If they don't, the next PPI won't reflect them.
Old 03-13-2009 | 12:27 AM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
There is no evidence the car needs $15K in repairs.

Save yourself the hassle and buy a car with more miles. No point in buying one with a premium for low miles and then cranking then on the car.

If I were the seller, I would drive the car for a while and then re-evaluate the "issues". If they exist, I would deal with them. If they don't, the next PPI won't reflect them.
I agree that there is no evidence that the car needs $15k in repairs. There is also no guarantee that the car will not require $15k repairs. If the seller listed the car as needing the identified ppi repairs, but otherwise the car is close to perfect and only 20k miles....How much would you estimate for the asking and obo price in today's market?

I realize that this is a 11+ year old car and will have issues, but most importantly I think she is a thing of beauty. I smile every time I see a 993.
Old 03-13-2009 | 12:35 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

My thoughts - buy a car from a lister. If it needs an aero kit - give MASHAW a call and have him talk ya to death. Slap kit on, and drive it like ya stole it.
Old 03-13-2009 | 01:08 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the PPI is pretty irrelevant. Make a lowball offer if you like--maybe he'll take it. But to try to get $9-15k off based on that as a justification? The current market is the justification, not an oil leak on an air cooled Porsche. Why play games?
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:05 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Any leads on a clean white 993 C4S with aero kit?
You might want to send a PM to 'pastpob'. He was selling a very nice, mid-mileage (40K) silver/black C4S with MA Shaw turbo wing a few months ago. His ad was posted here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...low-miles.html

I'm not sure if it's still for sale, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Not white, but a very nice car nonetheless.

Quick Reply: PPI found issues on C4S