Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI found issues on C4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 02:38 PM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by logan2z
You might want to send a PM to 'pastpob'. He was selling a very nice, mid-mileage (40K) silver/black C4S with MA Shaw turbo wing a few months ago. His ad was posted here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...low-miles.html

I'm not sure if it's still for sale, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Not white, but a very nice car nonetheless.
Thanks, I shot him a PM to find out the status of the car.
Old 03-14-2009 | 01:02 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by techsis
You got a good price for a clean example. Does your car have the factory installed Aero kit II? Not that is should matter that much, but I would like the aero kit on the 993 and that really starts to limit my selection. Perhaps I should just go with an upper $30k car, save some cash for an inevitable rebuild and try to find an oem aero kit / or RUFF. I would prefer to get a car like the one that you were fortunate enough to purchase.

Cheers
No aero kit on mine but I like just bone stock....not sure why but too each his own. I am sure you could find an OEM kit and add it pretty easily. Good luck with your search! Jon
Old 03-15-2009 | 03:29 AM
pastpob
Advanced

Originally Posted by logan2z
You might want to send a PM to 'pastpob'. He was selling a very nice, mid-mileage (40K) silver/black C4S with MA Shaw turbo wing a few months ago. His ad was posted here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...low-miles.html

I'm not sure if it's still for sale, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Not white, but a very nice car nonetheless.
Thanks Andrew for the endorsement, I appreciate it! I have only met Andrew once but he did come by and look at my car and took it for a test drive. I have not put it back on the market, mostly because i know it's a soft market right now and i am enjoying it! I may put it back up for sale in a few weeks! Thanks again Andrew!!

H
Old 03-15-2009 | 11:37 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

OK something does not seem correct here with your PPI. There is a crush ring that seals between the cylinder head and the cylinder itself. If this does not seal completely, you will get a loss of compression / increase leakdown. Your compression numbers do not show an issue here. You will not get oil leaking as there is virtually no oil there. Some almost impercetable bit from the valve guide and some leakage past the oil ring, but what minor part per million is there is burned up with each cylinder firing. You can get oil leakage from the base gasket on the cylinder (between the block and the cylinder), but the heat exchanger does not extend that far so it can not leak down onto it. Generally if this is really bad and not just weeping, it will drip onto the floor. There are only a couple of sources for oil that could be leaking where you are describing. A valve cover gasket, or since it is the number 4 cylinder it could also be the cam sprocket gasket that seals between the cam housing and the cam tower. Not uncommon at all for this o-ring to leak. Last thing would be the glue between the head and cam tower. That's it. No more oil around there (unless spilled on top of motor and leaking down....)

And on the seal for the tranny, if they charge an hours labor to do it then you are being screwed.

Last edited by viperbob; 03-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2009 | 01:16 PM
simpateko
Pro

Default not easy to get a quality ppi

sometimes a ppi can do as much harm as good.
if it is too thorough, the buyer may miss out on a very nice car that is really much better than the shop says it is.
and the seller ends up with his car and a bad ppi to tell the next potential buyer about.

come on guys, its a 10+ year old used car.
we cant call the used car factory to make us a 993.
sure, there are critical issues that can can be discovered in a ppi
but little things like these should not make a $15,000 difference in value.

i was selling a porsche recently and the ppi showed that the power seat passenger side was not working, news to me, i never rode on that side.
so the shop took the time to estimate the possible problem, remove seat, possible jammed or motor burned out, estimate $200 - $800.
buyer wanted me to reduce the price to cover it after he had already offered me $1000s less than i was asking. i said sorry, take it or leave it.

i drove the car home, checked the fuse box, no fuse in that spot, put in a fuse and all was fine.
this could have ruined our deal.
who knows, fuse could have been missing since new.

this is a shop that i respect and would use again but anyone can make a mistake.

if you really like that car and the seller is willing, you should get another opinion.

jeff

Last edited by simpateko; 03-15-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2009 | 01:51 PM
techsis
Pro

I gave the seller access to the PPI that was performed. The seller has had the shop thoroughly clean the suspect area and the car will be inspected again in a few days to see if the problem can be pinpointed. The other minor issues identified in the PPI are being addressed.

Overall this car looks great and I would love to go forward if we can resolve the outstanding issues.

One strange item was identified in the PPI has everyone confused. The driver's side rear tire has more tread than all the other tires. All the tires were put on the car at the same time and there is no history of an issue. What would cause this? Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2009 | 02:08 PM
helmet155
Pro

Originally Posted by techsis

One strange item was identified in the PPI has everyone confused. The driver's side rear tire has more tread than all the other tires. All the tires were put on the car at the same time and there is no history of an issue. What would cause this? Any ideas?
Did an alignment come with your PPI? If not, it should.

I say this because if it is aligned properly, it's another peace of mind that the car is accident free and/or hasn't been jumped over a curb or two...

The rear toe being 0 degrees on that single tire could be the difference.
Old 03-15-2009 | 02:36 PM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by helmet155
Did an alignment come with your PPI? If not, it should.

I say this because if it is aligned properly, it's another peace of mind that the car is accident free and/or hasn't been jumped over a curb or two...

The rear toe being 0 degrees on that single tire could be the difference.
An alignment was not included in the PPI. I was told that from the two test drives, the car tracked dead on. At speeds above 55mph, bad vibrations were encountered. I believe this is from the flat spots on the tires since the car is rarely driven. If I close on the car, I will definitely get an alignment (minus the stock right pull) , tire balance and complete brake fluid flush.

I will check with Jess to see about the cost of an alignment check at their shop. The same rear driver side wheel has been touched up, so the alignment on the rear toe might just be the issue. Good call!

Cheers
Old 03-15-2009 | 02:47 PM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by viperbob
OK something does not seem correct here with your PPI. There is a crush ring that seals between the cylinder head and the cylinder itself. If this does not seal completely, you will get a loss of compression / increase leakdown. Your compression numbers do not show an issue here. You will not get oil leaking as there is virtually no oil there. Some almost impercetable bit from the valve guide and some leakage past the oil ring, but what minor part per million is there is burned up with each cylinder firing. You can get oil leakage from the base gasket on the cylinder (between the block and the cylinder), but the heat exchanger does not extend that far so it can not leak down onto it. Generally if this is really bad and not just weeping, it will drip onto the floor. There are only a couple of sources for oil that could be leaking where you are describing. A valve cover gasket, or since it is the number 4 cylinder it could also be the cam sprocket gasket that seals between the cam housing and the cam tower. Not uncommon at all for this o-ring to leak. Last thing would be the glue between the head and cam tower. That's it. No more oil around there (unless spilled on top of motor and leaking down....)

And on the seal for the tranny, if they charge an hours labor to do it then you are being screwed.
With the oil level being identified as too high during the PPI, is there a chance that this could part of the leaking issue?

Thanks...
Old 03-15-2009 | 03:07 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Oil level being too high (I am assuming it wasn't like 3 or 4 qts high) won't cause an issue that would lead to a symptom as described.

I would suspect that the toe on the one side is out causing the accelerated wear. Since there was no report of any suspension issues (worn components, torn boots, etc) most likely just alignment.

Quick Reply: PPI found issues on C4S