Sponsored by:

Repainting my 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009 | 10:56 PM
mvtm
Intermediate

Default Repainting my 993

Hi Rennlist
I am wishing to do a quality repaint to my 993.I am going to use Dupont's Chroma-system and was wondering which would be the right formula to get the Night Blue Metallic color (L39C).

If anyone knows or has a clue, i'll be more than glad.
Edit: Also if you have any experience repainting your 993,please post your experience,advice,thoughts. Especially those who have a Midnight Blue. I want to repaint it the most accurate as possible as the original paint L39C.I'm fairy new to repainting in general, but i am most certain i want to completely repaint my Carrera.

Thanks.

Last edited by mvtm; 03-08-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2009 | 11:21 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by mvtm
Hi Rennlist
I am wishing to do a quality repaint to my 993.I am going to use Dupont's Chroma-system and was wondering which would be the right formula to get the Night Blue Metallic color (L39C).

If anyone knows or has a clue, i'll be more than glad.
Edit: Also if you have any experience repainting your 993,please post your experience,advice,thoughts. Especially those who have a Midnight Blue. I want to repaint it the most accurate as possible as the original paint L39C.I'm fairy new to repainting in general, but i am most certain i want to completely repaint my Carrera.

Thanks.
Hola Maria,

I hope that you are not the one actually doing the painting. You are taking it to a shop right? If so, they should be able to match the color with the formula for L39C.

Do a search for a rennlister that goes by ALLILL, he did a wide body conversion and full repaint on his Midnight Blue Cab.

He can give you more details on things to look for so you can tell your shop.

Suerte!
Old 03-09-2009 | 12:53 AM
mvtm
Intermediate

Hi Sergio,
My brother is taking it to a paint shop.Haha,no need to worry. He's the one in charge, i'm just doing the public relations part.

Thanks for your suggestion,sure i'll give it a look. Anyone else?
Old 03-09-2009 | 01:14 AM
Tango635
Racer

Hi,

I'm not sure what the original paint brand is for the 993, but almost sure it wasn't dupont. Why do you want to use their color system? If you are really concerned with keeping it original, and it seems like you are, I would use the original brand of paint? Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2009 | 01:38 AM
mvtm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tango635
Hi,

I'm not sure what the original paint brand is for the 993, but almost sure it wasn't dupont. Why do you want to use their color system? If you are really concerned with keeping it original, and it seems like you are, I would use the original brand of paint? Just a suggestion. Good luck.
I agree.I'm not quite sure why he is interested in Dupont ... but if he kindly told me to ask about it may be for a reason. Posting in someone else's behalf its not so easy, especially if i don't have a first hand grasp about the details.

But very well,i am trying to help him by researching a bit. So what's the original brand of paint? Any information & tips about repainting a 993,would be the utmost welcomed.
Old 03-09-2009 | 02:09 AM
Surfer2001
Racer

I have mine done a few years back and by far the most important thing is to make sure the shop has EXPERIENCE with Porsche disassembly and reassembly. In order for the paint job to come out right the car has to come apart as much as possible, that means all windows have to come out, bumpers removed on so on. My guy did a base clear coat paint job. He sanded between clear coat shoots. The paint is so flat it looks like it was dipped, absolutely no orange peel whatsoever. If your shop has not worked on other Porsches I’d go some place else or reconsider repainting altogether.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2009 | 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi. I have some experience with L39C. I used the Glassurite system. The clear coat was a Mercedes Diamonde product (supossedly harder).

When we checked the Glassurite computer sysem for paint management we discovered there were around 4 different L39C Porsches used over time. One was a Pearl. One had flecks of green and white, another yellow/orange. We did some flip samples on car but it was really hard to establish exactly what had been used from the factory as two of the paint mixes under L39C had the same date ranges. My car was first three months of production (Dec 1993) which made it harder as the the 3rd option was a 1992 colour used on the 964 and 928 at the time. This explained why when compared my car side by side to a friends L39c it looked different. Fustrating to say the least. Ive since been to a few concourse where two different L39C were parked in close proximity and gave different hues.

In short what we did with my vehicle is we went pure "midnight metallic blue". We used pearl blue metallic and mixed with black at a set ration (and stored the data for later appliations if needed). Although this isnt the "true" porsche L39C is now means the car is easier to respray if small areas need covering. To be honest next to most other L39C cars in the sunlight it looks much the same. In overcast weather my car looks more "black" thats all. You cannot pick up the diffrence at close quarters (i.e. when you look at the underneath of the trunk (still factory paint) when its up and then look at the quarter panels facing you you cannot detect by eye any real difference.

Anyway - not the perfect answer but will help you know wha you are in for....

Cheers
Old 03-09-2009 | 12:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

I think it is important to let the painter use a brand of paint they are familiar with for best results. If you must have a certain brand then you will have to find a suitable shop that uses it. Disassembly for painting will give a more professional result but involves more labor of course. If you want a color change then the work is much much more involved.
Old 03-09-2009 | 01:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

My 9 is staying with us until the bitter end, so I've already decided to give it a complete, windows out re-spray in 10 years or so. I would do all of the disassembly at home and trailer the carcass to the shop. Control is a good thing.

Andreas
Old 03-28-2009 | 10:48 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
I have mine done a few years back and by far the most important thing is to make sure the shop has EXPERIENCE with Porsche disassembly and reassembly. In order for the paint job to come out right the car has to come apart as much as possible, that means all windows have to come out, bumpers removed on so on. My guy did a base clear coat paint job. He sanded between clear coat shoots. The paint is so flat it looks like it was dipped, absolutely no orange peel whatsoever. If your shop has not worked on other Porsches I’d go some place else or reconsider repainting altogether.
Did you get the paint done in Mission Viejo? If so can you share the name of the place you went?
Old 03-28-2009 | 10:56 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My 9 is staying with us until the bitter end, so I've already decided to give it a complete, windows out re-spray in 10 years or so. I would do all of the disassembly at home and trailer the carcass to the shop. Control is a good thing.

Andreas

This is how I am doing mine. All I am having the shop do is the body work and full respray. I will colorsand, buff and reassemble.

Mike
Old 03-28-2009 | 03:42 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Have the color anaylzed with a computer...most shops have them and they used a PPG 4 way analyzer on my Polar Silver...which was a PITA to match correctly. Lots of trial and error, but the finished product was worth the 4 months.

jason

Quick Reply: Repainting my 993