Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

UPDATE!!-Inventiva Front License Plate Bracket-Group Buy-UPDATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw someone in Seattle with a plastic sheet magnet that has his license plate image printed on it and he stuck it on the front bumper of his 993. Probably from one of the Web shops like zazzle, but I can't seem to find it online.... that looks nice. Any chance it's one of the Rennlisters here?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry not to poop on your GB, but have you guys seen this one? It goes in the toe hook!
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-Porsche.html
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...seems simple enough to make. I like it, but I would have to think of some kind of quick-disconnect fasteners.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim, Denny Aker (Aker Porsche) took his license plate to Kinkos and had them color photocopy it on a thin laminated plastic self-adhesive sheet, It seems to conform to the front bumper quite nicely. My front plate sits under my front seat just in case, I prefer not to have the wholes in my front bumper.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm in as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
Hmmm...seems simple enough to make. I like it, but I would have to think of some kind of quick-disconnect fasteners.
I have debated whether or not to chime in. Not to detract from the Inventiva bracket, as I have the cup holder, and it is a fantastically machined product.

Last summer, there was discussion of a GTG drive through the hills, and word was that CHP was pulling everyone over that did not have a front plate, so I started to think of what I could do, as I wanted to go on the drive, hate having the lines of the 993 destroyed by a front plate, but also did not want a ticket.

The Inventiva bracket entered the discussion, but I wasn't really interested in a permanent attatchement, just something to get through the weekend, kind of a quick and dirty solution.
so I started thinking, why not just cut a piece of L shaped aluminum to the approximate width of the plate, drill holes to line up with the plate holes, and 2 more on the other side of the L to attatch to the underside of the bumper, and voila! 1.5x1.5 did the trick, available at any hardware store.

I got a 4ft piece of Aluminum for about $6 and was able to cut 5 sections each just under the width of a plate. drilled the holes, and painted them black.

In the meantime, something came up, and I couldn't make the drive, so I never installed the bracket, though I gave 4 of them away to other RLers, I don't know if any of the installed it. Basically, it is modeled after the Inventiva bracket without the supporting plate behind the plate, so there is less structural support, although since the plate is metal, I don't think it needs a lot of support. At high speed, it might stress the screws at the top, not sure as I did no testing, but if the Inventiva bracket holds, then so should my design.

Nor did I want to put holes in my bumper. I understand that there is a metal strip behind the underside of the bumper that either my or the inventiva bracket attaches to with sheet metal screws.

Ultimately, I took my front plate and drilled additional holes in it to align them with the factory holes, got the nylon inserts to mount them, and used electrical tape to "frame" the plate, and covered the back for cushioning. I also curved the plate so it sort of follows the curve of the front bumper. I carry it in the trunk and have not been pulled over to date.

Another idea I had was to cut slots in the plate at each corner, and use velcro straps to fasten the plate to the grill.: No holes, quick disconnect. A Dremel could probably do the slots in no time.

yes, I is an Engineer...

sorry for the long post. Everyone have a great day.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My "custom license plate mount" is two angles from the hardware store, attached under the bumper like the Inventiva one, but instead of attaching the license plate, I attached the stock Porsche bracket. This puts my plate a little higher than the Inventiva would.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Sorry not to poop on your GB, but have you guys seen this one? It goes in the toe hook!
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-Porsche.html
I like the idea of the two hook license plate holder. Unfortunately for us here in Europe, the license plates are way too big so it would look very odd unless it's centered.. arggh
Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like mine. And the attachment points are hidden when your remove the plate.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I need two..............................................................
Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in for one.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

On a stock grill, just use some rubber tubing for pain protection, and zap-strap the licence plate to the grill...lots of guys here in Vancouver have done that with no issues. You can make the plate as low as you want.

If you have a Turbo bumper, then trim the plate a bit and put it in the center section of the bumper.

I would post some pictures, but I have to dig some up.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
On a stock grill, just use some rubber tubing for pain protection, and zap-strap the licence plate to the grill...lots of guys here in Vancouver have done that with no issues. You can make the plate as low as you want.

If you have a Turbo bumper, then trim the plate a bit and put it in the center section of the bumper.

I would post some pictures, but I have to dig some up.

Cheers,

Mike
I like the simple solution Mike but wouldn't that restric the airflow to the oilcooler(s). For a 993TT for example?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

All that is behind the center grill is the front of the trunk tub, so my plate is only blocked the tub. In Europe it might be different though since your plates tend to be wider. I need to drop down to the shop and get a picture of the front of my car so you can see what I mean.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 04:48 PM
colo993
Advanced

Count me in also!

Quick Reply: UPDATE!!-Inventiva Front License Plate Bracket-Group Buy-UPDATE!!!